Help needed - birds eating all the cat food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Help needed - birds eating all the cat food

hi,

I have a small cat who is very much outdoors type of cat. Recently, I bought an automatic feeder so that I can leave food for her when I go away. The feeder is gravity operated so it dispenses food constantly which is not a problem for her because she only eats a little bit at a time. The problem is that no matter where I try to hide the feeder, the magpies that live around always find it, and can finish off half a box of cat food in a day! Which means, the kitty gets left without food, which is bad.

I've been trying to find a cat feeder that can be operated by the cat - for example, something that has lid, and the cat has to pull on something, or press something so the lid will open and she can get at the food. I have found a few that people have made, but they only seem to dispense a few biscuits at a time, which isn't suitable if she's to use it for getting dinner.

I know you can also get automatic feeders that open at certain times of the day. The problem is that because she's outdoorsy, she doesnt always come to eat at the same time. I've never used one before...once they open, how long do they stay open for? Because if she doesn't come when it opens, again,she'll have no food.

I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do...if anyone has any idea/suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

What about something like this

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751315

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think it is time for a home scarecrow! J/K.

Just find somewhere only your cat can access.. or have cat door and place the food near it so he can enter and eat.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
cat feeder