help please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

help please

This is not an emergency. I just needed some help figuring something out. My aunt had a mother cat in her yard and she had four kittens. I took two when they were about 3 months old but the other two stayed because they were too aggressive. Eventually the black one warmed up to people but the siamese one left and was never seen again. My aunt and uncle are the kind of people who don't want animals at all and if they have them they don't care for them. Well I had already taken them food and they ran out a few days ago and had the nerve to ask for more. You'll have to know that they have a lot of property therefore a lot of money so they can afford food for one cat. I got tired of that and didn't want to take the cat to the shelter just yet because he wasn't well socialized yet. I caught him and brought him to my house. I placed the carrier outside because he will not go inside. My mother let him out so he ran. When I went downstairs he had already ran in front and I have no idea where he's at Luckily he did eat before that whole experience but can I still hold out some hope that he'll come back. I feel so guilty for what happened. I wish I never did that.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww.. I'm sorry. Don't blame yourself, girl, you were doing a nice thing trying to do what was best for the kitty in a tricky situation. Did your mom let him out by accident? Hopefully he will come back.
Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Keep leaving food out for him near your doorway and hopefully he will come back. If he can recognize your voice you might try to entice him with a smelly treat like tuna.

If you plan on looking for him I'd walking along the way back towards your aunt and uncle's house. Cats have a very strong sense of direction and if he thinks of that as home then that's probably where he is headed.

It was a nice thing you did to try and socialize him. He may not appear to be very appreciative by running away but he does have a guardian angel in you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yea, she let him out on accident. I'm sure she was trying to put more food in the carrier. She didn't bother to run after him though which is good because I'm sure he would've run farther. I'm leaving food out for him. I had the carrier covered with a towel on the way to my house and I hope he's not trying to get to their house as it is pretty far away from my house and across the freeway. But yea, I'm sure he didn't know where he ended up and I doubt he would want to come back to me I just don't want him to die. He was extremely skinny and skittish. I don't even know what's holding him together. Obviously he had the strength to run though. I just wish I stayed with him outside. I have a feeling he would've still left but I think I would've felt a little more at ease. I just hope he's hiding somewhere close. Luckily there aren't any loose dogs or any other animals out. Just at night but I'm sure there were more where he use to live.

My babies...

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Oh you did the right thing, it is not your fault or your mother's that he got away. Kitties can be oh so slippery when they want to. Keep leaving food and maybe you'll be able to get him to at least come back for dinner and maybe win him over.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I agree, please don't blame yourself. You did more than most people ...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'm not sure if I should be getting excited over this or not...but, I think he came back. I know there aren't that many loose cats in my neighborhood especially during the day hours but I don't know if any went into my yard when I wasn't here. Well, I came back home a few minutes ago and the food in the back yard is gone but the one in the front is still there. I'm thinking he didn't feel secure enough to eat the one in the front so he just went to the back instead. I hope I'm right but I'm going to keep putting food out to see if I catch who's eating it and I pray it's him.

My babies...

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Thats good news!!! If he comes back are you going to keep him?

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I plan to. That's the main reason I brought him to my house. I though, "Well, if I give food to my uncles to feed the cat and that's the only care they provide since they don't even put out water for him, wouldn't the cat be more mine than theirs?" and I figured he would so I went to pick it up and instead of taking him to the shelter where I volunteer at where they would euthanize if he hurt anyone which I'm sure he would I decided to bring him to my house. He's not indoors but I plan on trying to make him an indoor cat as time goes by. Letting him go in and out that is. In the meantime I'll be feeding him and making him feel more comfortable with my family and me and he'll be going to the vet when that happens.
I told my parents I was going to keep him while I make him fat...lol. I, of course, know that I wouldn't be able to give him up since I would've struggled too much to get him. So if he comes back, I do plan on keeping him.

Edited to add: Now I doubt it was him I just saw another cat eating the food.

My babies...

Last edited by mm_simb; 05-17-2005 at 12:03 AM. Reason: to add something
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

How far does your aunt and uncle live? I suggest talking to them just be like will you guys please put this food out keep an eye out for the kitten... Be like he needs a home and needs to be loved and I can provide that for him. Maybe they will be understanding and start looking for the kitten. At least I hope thats what they do. Still keep the food out and shoo the other cat who is eating it away. Also theres a ton of strays around my house and the outside cat food dishes are communal dishes. So he might still be hanging around your house. I wish you luck. In the couple of days was there a toy that he became fond off... one thing I knowticed when Trintiy got out I just dangled a little tiney bell and she came running in and all scared.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

She lives like 15 minutes away but this is going like 50 mph. It's across a freeway and a few really big streets. I doubt they'd try to look for him with me. I've already taken 2 cats from them and they have 2 skinny dogs that I'm trying to get someone to take away from them. They never take care of their animals. All they care about is about themselves and how much money they can save. I've been shooing away the other cat. I also call the cat...or try to. I never really got to know him well. I'm not sure if he remembers me from before but if he does they're not really good memories. He was always the one that managed to get away. His siblings weren't that hard to get tho. They got adopted a day after they went up for adoption. I just wish he would've been a little more trusting. I'm sure he would've been adopted right away too.

My babies...

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:58 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You are so caring...
Why do your parents keep getting the animals if they did not want them?
it was not your fault the little kitty ran away and hopefully some1 has picked it up or at least feeding it.
have you checked the shelters in case any1 has?
maybe you could put posters up

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

It's not my parents...it's my mother's brother, which in turn makes him my uncle unfortunately. They didn't really get the cats. A mother cat had babies in their yard and left them there after feeding them for a month or 2. There were four. I think she had taken one and left 3. I took the two that were easier to catch and left one because I couldn't even get close to him...not because I was scared but because he kept running away from me. They just kept them there in the yard, feeding him leftovers whenever they wanted to. Once I went over there I saw that he was so skinny and I left them food. They still didn't feed him enough and had the nerve to ask me for food again. They are not needy so I see no point in them needing food from me. The dogs that they have/had someone gave to them because he wasn't feeding them at all or doing anything else for them. I guess they cared back then and took them to the vet and fed them. After a while they just didn't care anymore and would feed them every once in a while. I'm not sure if they still have them but I hope they don't and plan on finding out if they do. I'm trying to get my courage up to tell them something but somehow my mother loves her brother even if he does this. But if he ever does this type of thing again I will say something to him. It's been too much already.
I plan on putting fliers out and putting some in mailboxes around my neighborhood. I also plan on staying up all night today to find out who ate the food in the front because it was gone when I woke up...and whoever ate it was hungry since the can was licked clean. I know who ate the one in the back. I saw him last night but it was already like 3 in the morning and I was way too tired to get up again to shoo him away. He wont be eating it tonight though...

My babies...

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Aw thats really sweet of you, how do you manage to be up so late??? lol i gotta get up at 6 in the morning or I would keep you company. Good luck

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I don't have a job and I'm out of school already so I can be up all night. So yea, that's what I'm doing today. I have nothing to do tomorrow eitherway.
Thanks

My babies...

Last edited by mm_simb; 05-17-2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Tags
cat food, food dishes, indoor cat, male cat