help please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

help please!

Hey guys
Wanted some info.

I am getting a cat for my birthday. Since I never had a cat before I wanted to ask:

a) What should be the age of the cat?
b) How do you potty train a cat?
c) Which breed is best for a teen?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Adopt, adopt, adopt!!!

Adopt an adult, by any means. They don't need as much hands-on attention as a kitten does.

Usually it's wise to show the cat to the litter box, especially after it's eaten. If you adopt an adult, it should already be litter-trained, but a kitten is much more work, and not the right choice for a teen who is always off either at school or hanging out with friends.

Also a note on litter - never use litter that's "scented", not only do cats not like the smell, but the fragrance is toxic to their systems due to phenols.

All breeds are neat. A cat is a cat. They're unique regardless of breed, they're unique by nature alone.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Hello Earthling

I second adopting and adult from a shelter or rescue.

A kitten is a ton of work, I would know I use to foster them. I wouldn't say that its to much work for a teen, but it could be. With a kitten you need to be watching them all the time and teaching them the rules.

An adult is a better choice. You can see the personality of the cat and you don't have to go threw all the trouble that you would have with a kitten. Plus you can be saving a life.

Usually cats 'come' litter trained. Use a large litter box with unscented litter. I personally refuse to use clay litters due to the environmental impact and health concerns such as carcinogens and not to mention it dries like cement, ergo its can cause respiratory issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
I second adopting and adult from a shelter or rescue.

A kitten is a ton of work, I would know I use to foster them. I wouldn't say that its to much work for a teen, but it could be. With a kitten you need to be watching them all the time and teaching them the rules.

An adult is a better choice. You can see the personality of the cat and you don't have to go threw all the trouble that you would have with a kitten. Plus you can be saving a life.

Usually cats 'come' litter trained. Use a large litter box with unscented litter. I personally refuse to use clay litters due to the environmental impact and health concerns such as carcinogens and not to mention it dries like cement, ergo its can cause respiratory issues.
Good mention, a note on the clay litters as well - if the cat licks it off their paws, and ingests it, it can cause problems there too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Good mention, a note on the clay litters as well - if the cat licks it off their paws, and ingests it, it can cause problems there too.
Good point! IMO clay litters just pose to many health risKs to the cat and me So I choose not to use it. Sure it may be cheaper but in the long runI think its better to avoid.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 PM
I am allergic to maths

If it were me I would adopt, but I would adopt a kitten... I would want the experience of having a kitten, also having from a young age it develops a strong bond (not that an adult wouldnt) with you. It would also be great to adopt an adult, its less work but for me, thats just part of owning the cat The breed is totally up to you. Are you planning on an 'indoor' cat? Or an outdoor cat?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

hey thanks guys.

going with an adult persian..
since i was more into getting an indoor cat.

thanks again
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Hello Earthling

Exellent you are planning on indoor. So much safer.

Can't wair to see pictures when you get him/her.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleow92 View Post
Hey guys
Wanted some info.

I am getting a cat for my birthday. Since I never had a cat before I wanted to ask:

a) What should be the age of the cat?
b) How do you potty train a cat?
c) Which breed is best for a teen?

Thanks.

a) depend on how much you want to be up at night vs. seeing it grow up. They are fun at 8 weeks, but a handful.
b) You put paper in a litter box, and put them in it. If they are older, you can just put them in a litter box with litter. They instictually figure it out on their own.
c) They are all good
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 AM

I agree that you should adopt. Many older cats get passed over for adoption so maybe you would want one over 4 or 5? they have a lot of life left in them, but are in the bracket of less adoptable.

If you want a young cat they have plenty of all ages in shelters. Go, look around, and pick whichever one clicks with you.

for me potty training has always been easy. when you bring kitty home bring it to its litterbox. put it inside. let it get used to where it is. many cats from shelters are already trained. Some ferel cats might be harder...i have never owned one so i dont know how to go about training one to use the box.

I think any breed will do. Just go and pet and play...im sure youll fall in love with at least one! enjoy and happy birthday!!!

Tags
cat