help! suggestions please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question help! need rescue advice- please!

Hello. not exactly sure where to ask about this so i figured this was the best forum.

i have discovered four kittens outside my apartment building. one is wounded and all 4 are very timid. i am currently feeding them and giving them water, but it is hot here and flies are harassing the wounded kitten because he/she has an open bite.

does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can catch these kittens?! i will keep two and my brother will keep two so they will be safe and well-cared for. please help! i have tries the metal have-a-heart traps and they don't work. cats always back out fast as soon as the trap begins to fall.

Any suggestions could help save their little lives!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

help! suggestions please!

Hello. not exactly sure where to ask about this so i figured this was a good forum. i also asked in the safe havens forum.

i have discovered four kittens outside my apartment building. one is wounded and all 4 are very timid. i am currently feeding them and giving them water, but it is hot here and flies are harassing the wounded kitten because he/she has an open bite.

does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can catch these kittens?! i will keep two and my brother will keep two so they will be safe and well-cared for. please help! i have tries the metal have-a-heart traps and they don't work. cats always back out fast as soon as the trap begins to fall.

Any suggestions could help save their little lives!
Thanks
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Find someone with a live raccoon trap... the kittens may be too small to trigger it though. Maybe a live trap for squirrels. We use the raccoon trap for catching all our rescues. Don't set it immediately... put food outside it first and then slowly inch it inside and then to the back. Do this over a period of days so they get comfy with it. Then set it... The wounded one needs help fast though. If her wound is open she needs to have it cleaned before it gets infected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you for your wuick response! i appreciate it! I will try and get a racoon trap as soon as possible. or a squirrel trap. it makes me mad because i live in connecticut - where there are lots of forests and wildlife and stray animals- and yet i called all the rescue places near me and they all refuse to come help me catch any stray kittens!

but i am determined to catch them on my own! THank you so much for your suggetsions. i will try them asap!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

do they run away when they see you?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well- it seems they now know my voice well enough to come when i put the food out and call for them. however- i can't be near the dish or they won't approach it. i have them set up behind a big boulder on the edge of the woods - and i have to walk back across the yard before they will come out and eat.

however- today i put tuna out and they started coming around closer to me than usual. the wounded one came pretty close but kept an eye on me and whenever i moved too close she ran away. they are so fast!!! so- i went into the woods after her because i used my binoculars and saw that her wound is on her neck and is pretty bad. dont think it needs stitches but looks raw and red and painful. she keeps scratching at it and making it worse - plus the flies are harassing her more now and she runs around trying to escape them!

anyway- i got SO close to her in the woods and she was right in front of me but then she looked up and saw me and her eyes widened in complete shock and she bolted so i didnt get her!

i'm so frustrated! the only cage i could locate was a havahart cage but i tried one of those last summer on another cat and it closed on her and i never saw her again after that! i'm so scared i will frighten these kittens off! i wish i had a way to make them all fall asleep so i could just scoop them up and bring them inside!

i wonder if i could use some type of net attactched to a pole to get them?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

Talking

maybe you could try a chocker then put them into a kennal and then losten the choker and take it off of them(do one at a time ). then try calming them down(they might get skittish)(mostlikly) then you could take the injured one to a vet. tell them the story on how you got them so they will know that the kittens will most likely try to run away from them
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

one more thing a know some1 up my street she works a a anim al rescue. she rescues animals like this evey day I can talk to her about it I too live in Connecticut
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

yeah that would be great. maybe she would have some more ideas. i didn't see the kittens today because it rained last night and they never come out the day after rain. i don't know where they hide... but i did see the mother cat today and hope she didn't reloacte them. do mother cats relocate kittens that are old enough to be on their own? i'm not sure. probably not.

the choker sounds like a god idea too i just don;t know how i'd get one. do they sell them in stores i wonder?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

they sell them in pet stores...and ill ask her tommorrow it is getting late
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

okay. thanks.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

your welcome
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

oh wait I have to ask her on tuesday we are going to six flags tommorrow i hope its not packed

Last edited by buggygirl65; 08-21-2005 at 08:56 PM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 02:05 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I really dont know what you can do you used the only suggestion i had. Maybe you can lur them closer to you with treats of some sort. or you and some other people can try cornering them other then that i have no idea! Maybe someone on here can help you. I wish you luck.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 07:51 PM

Make sure you are using a big enough trap and put the food all the way to the back of the trap. Also you may want to try to disguise the trap with a blanket or something over it.

Tags
animal control, animal control officer, cat food, humane society, kitten food, pet store, pet stores, rabbit cage