Helping a New Cat Adjust? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi all,
I am a very experienced dog fancier, but I need some feline advice! I have had cats, and in fact have three right now. Two are females which adjusted to my household with no issues. One was adopted as a six year old. She acted like a friendly dog and jumped right into life at our house with no stress. The other was adopted as a seven week old kitten and the same occured with her. No problems...
The third we adopted yesterday. He's an 18 month old male. He's very well cared for and social, but is clearly terrified here. He's gone into hiding under the sofa. I'm putting food under there b/c he won't come out and I am concerned. I don't want to push him. He hasn't touched the food, though, or gone to the bathroom. He has his own familiar litter box available, and I showed it to him when I first let him loose. We live in a spacious big roomed apartment. There's no small area to let him go and slowly adjust. My others sniffed him and were not interested. He's lived w/another cat before too. All are indoor and always have been, and all are spayed and neutered. He and the older female came to be declawed. The kitten is not (I would not declaw a cat myself, personally). Any tips on helping him come out and get to know us? In his old home he was a lap kitty and very friendly. He's also used to dogs, and mine are farm more docile, calm, and uninterested than the one he lived with, so they're not the problem either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Even though no one responded to this, I figured I'd let ya'll know he's coming around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:23 AM

Thats good to hear. More than anything sometimes its just a matter of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
Thats good to hear. More than anything sometimes its just a matter of time.
Yes. I find some cats are more 'people' oriented and others are more 'house' oriented. Those that fall into the house category tend to take some time before they will come around. As long as your girls don't seem to mind him and your dogs are treating him well, I think he'll come to be his old self in no time.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I'm glad he's coming around. Sometimes it really does just take time.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Miss New Booty

That's good to hear, I'm glad he is coming around. Just takes a little time. How are your girls adjusting to their new brother?

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

He's doing great. He's a people kitty for sure. I guess he was just confused/scared. The old grouchy one actually really likes him! The young one is curious and initiating play. The dogs couldn't care less. He's a sweetie. Here's some new pics I took since he's not scared anymore:

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww he is beautiful!!!! So photogenic!! I'm glad he is doing well and everyone is getting to know each other!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

This happened to me and my grandma both. We both had cats that weren't social. But with a lot of coaxing we got the cats to come around. When I was younger I had a kitten that was shy, and I pretty much made her the social cat. It even got to he point where she didn't want to be called boo anymore (which was her name) she would only come when you called her boo boo

*Missy*
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

He is such a handsome fella! Nice pics. When Meow first adopted us she was the same and hid for at least a week before she ventured out to make up with the rest of the family. After that she's a typical manx and definitely is the "boss" around here now as she believes we are her people pets. She knows how to put everyone including us in our places lol.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we had a feral cat and it took a lot of patience and love to get her to come around to not only us but the dogs as well, she ended up being a big fat lazy lap cat in like 7 months lol she lived to be 14 and always wanted to be with someone...I am glad he is coming around and wow is he handsome

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:14 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Most of the cats we had were prison cats. My mom worked at the prison and the inmates would feed them. When they guards found them, they went to my mom and she could never say no.

We had a cat that lived to be 20. He was here when we moved in. He had gone through 2 other owners and the ones before us refused to take him with them because they didn't want him to get stressed...he was old then..lol...He eventually died, just from old age.

*Missy*
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He's very cute, I'm glad he's settling in.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

He's such a sweetie now... follows me around and loves to cuddle!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:58 AM

In his pictures he looks like he is a snuggler. Glad to hear that he came around.

Tags
litter box