Henry Update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Arrow Henry Update

We took Henry to the vet today and she (the vet) did find a good deal of blood in his urine, so now he's on antibiotics for the next two weeks. I'm glad I insisted on him going now even though he wasn't acting sick and wasn't peeing in places that he shouldn't.

She also gave Henry a prescription food to see if it would help with his runny poo. He seems to like it just fine. She also said Henry was breathing rather loud and I said he's been sneezing and hacking a lot, but that's a problem we'll conquer in a few weeks after Henry is done with this first round of medication.

A funny thing did happen at the vet's office, though. Because she need to squeeze the pee out of Henry and he wasn't being very willing about it, she gave him a light sedative. Well, I didn't SEE her give the sedative because I was too focused on Henry and apparently didn't hear her say she was going to give it (but Sami did). Well, I was holding Henry close to my chest while he was sitting on the table and he started to get still. The vet went ahead and got some urine from him without a fuss. I thought he just figured out nothing bad was happening and calmed down, which is why he didn't put up a fight (but lately my brain hasn't been so logical ). But when he went limp in my arms and his eyes were blank and gazing off, I thought he was dying on me! I told Sami, "Look! He's limp ... This is not normal. Call the vet ... Something's happened to Henry!"

Sami looked at me like I was nuts and said, "I think that's pretty normal..." I replied, "WHAT!? No it's not! He shouldn't be acting like this just because he's had pee squeezed out of him!"

Well, when the vet came back in after running the test, I was almost in hysterics. I said, "Look! Something's wrong! He's limp and is not responsive to me!" And she said, "Oh, it's just from the tranquiliser."

How silly of me, eh?

But, anyway, everyone please keep your fingers crossed that Henry has a fast recovery.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I will keep my fingures crossed for Henery. I hope he is ok. That would of scared me too! But hes back to himself right?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes. He woke up fully as soon as we got in the car, cried all the way home and was more than happy to get out of the crate when he got home. After that, we did some quick grocery shopping and when we came back, he was more than ready to eat. Tomorrow I have to start giving him his pills, which I can assure you is NOT going to make him a happy kitty.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Glad he's on the mend!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

how do you give cats pills? I had my vet give trinity her worm pill.

Its easy with a dog, you just put it in some sort of human food, like ahotdog or rolled up peice of turkey

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Rowan. I'll keep my fingers crossed Henry has a speedy recovery but I'm laughing at you freaking out when he was sedated.

Ariel there is a trick to giving cats a tablet. Generally I put them up high, so they're at my level (so on a bench etc.) side on to me. Then I take me left arm (I'm left handed though) and use my thumb and forefinger to squeeze their jaw which opens their mouth up (you've got to do it right on the bone, and I go from behind so they can't scratch my forearm) and then have the pill ready in my right hand and push it down the back of their throat. I pull my finger out real quick and use the right hand to close their mouth, raise their head and rub their neck to make sure it's gone. If you've got a fighter, or an aggressive cat that will bite you I use a pill popper so my finger isn't in their mouth. And you need to be quick though so it's over before they have a chance to really know what's going on.
The best way for people with kittens, is to get them used to it from day one. I'd get Milko and just go through the actions, without any pills. He takes pills fairly well (for a cat).

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

wow, ok i'll have to get Trinity used to that!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i hope that he starts to get better, rowan. i'm sure he will be ok, though.

carm - that is how i give charlie pills. i tried everything first: put it in meat, put it sprinkled in wet food.........nothing. i finally just shoved it down his throat and Wa-lah!!

here's a tip, rowan - before you put the pill in his mouth/throat, (and this is kinda gross) go ahead and coat the pill in your own spit. it really helps it to slide down. sorry so gross!! but it works.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

I'll try that tip, Jane.

And yes, that's how I give my cats pills, too. The girls are like Milko and really don't give up much of a fight because they are used to me handling and poking at them and examining their teeth, etc. But since Henry has never had this, he's a bit more of a challenge.

His ears are still dirty because he won't let me get a closer look and clean them. No matter, once he's over this infection, I'll work on that. But I don't want to stress him out too much and the ears don't smell bad and he's not scratching at them, so I feel it's not an emergency--they're just dirty.

The vet asked me if I wanted pill or liquid for Henry and I said, "Well ... I like my clothes staying relatively medicine-free." IMO, liquid is MUCH harder to give than pills. Pills are very quick, whereas with liquid they have a chance to spit it up on you (and it's not like you can pick it up off the floor and try again ).

Henry is eating this new food very well, but I imagined he would. He's not a picky eater. However, now the girls are jealous and THEY want Prescription Diet, too.

When it comes time to give Henry is Canikur (it's used to help relieve his diarrhoea), I sprinkle it on a tiny bit of canned food so he'll eat it. However, in order for him to eat it, I have to feed the girls some canned food, too, because if I don't, he knows something is up! And even after eating some of the CAnikur, he realised the girls' canned food was 'different.' So, I can imagine we're going to have fun giving Henry his Canikur for the next three days!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Liquid for me is much easier. I've medicated plenty of cats and have it down to an art I scruff them stick the dropper or syring in the corner of their mouth and squirt. The trick is to hold them until they swallow so they can't shake it out of their mouth. Sounds barbaric but it has worked so far.

Magilla was the first cat I had to give pills to and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I was going to accomplish that. He was on Prednisone for his bladder inflamation, thank goodness the pills were so little. My trick there was a little piece of hot dog, worked like a charm never took notice. Of course, I have no idea if you can get your hands on a package of hotdogs in Finland but I thought it worth mentioning. Now my kitties (yes had to treat all 3 to hot dogs during this time so I wouldn't lose a finger) associate pills with hot dogs.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

I can get hot dogs here, Dena, but Henry wants to bite the hot dog in little pieces and works his way around the pill.

I don't have too much trouble giving himt he pills. But, he seems to KNOW when I'm about to give him the pill and then he just vanishes into thin air. So, there's always a chase to catch him to give him his medicine!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I hope he gets better soon for you.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted

Tags
canned food, human food, wet food