Hey Everyone! Cat and Rat question! Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Red face Hey Everyone! Cat and Rat question! Help!

So I have a rat right now in a glass cage (which I know is bad) I want to switch to a wire cage but I'm afraid my kitties will get their paws in there...or that they will pull the hatches open and get em...

does anyone have any suggestions or tips for me? My cage right now is keeping me from getting more rats...poor lonely girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

how about a cage with small holes on it..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

as long as you get a cage that has holes too small to get paws into and latches that work well they should be ok, you can train you cat to stay away too.

Cages now are pretty sturdy. Look for one that is hard for you to open and try thinking like a cat. When you get it make sure you can't knock it over and get it open.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

OK i am confused! I replied to this thread last night and now my reply is not here? You can get a wire cage just teach your cat to stay away from it. If it goes near the cage spray the cat with water and tell him/her NO in a firm voice and he.she will eventually come to realise its not allowed near the cage!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Well i had this same problem but my kitties were rescued from the streets and just would not stay away from my ratties so my hubby gave the ratties their own room, it keeps me from worrying about them when im not home and we go in the room 6/7 times a day to see the ratties if not more. But if you cannot give the ratties a room were the kitties don'nt go as the others said, train the kitty, sometimes spray bottles work good, but PLEASE do not keep this from getting the ratties a wire cage they will really be much happier!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 PM

Awwe, you all make me feel bad. Where I live, they sell ratties from aquariums. I didn't know any better. I have my 2 rat girls in a huge aquarium cage with a wire top settled into a book shelf so that they are protected from my 8 cats, in our living room so that they get attention and are part of the family. It's the best I could do. And I love all of my babies. If I put them in a wire cage, they would risk getting their little eyes accidentally clawed by a kitty when I wasn't around. It's just too risky at my house.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 AM
RAT ADDICT

Is there a room you can have the rats in that the cat don't go into? I have a room for the rats that I don't let my cat in.

I wouldn't worry about the rats getting hurt as much as the cat though.When my cat and past cat got too close to the cage,the rats would actually attack the cats through the bars,not the other way around.The cats would stay away from the cage then.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM

I have my degus in the top of my shelf above my ratties where my cats can't reach them and I got them one of those awesome cage extenders from Fosters & Marshalls. I love it. That way, they have both, aquarium and cage. That's what I ultimately want to do for my ratties this summer when I have more money.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Newborn Pup

i agree about the don't worry sentiment one of my cats is a real hunter, it tock her a couple mounts of regular being bitten on the paws and nose to get the picture but now she wont go near the cages.

i would only worry if u have a blind rat, as they might get sneked up on
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
RAT ADDICT

No.A rat can still sense the cat by smell and hearing.They have great hearing and sense of smell.
I have a rat that is blind in one eye and she gets on just fine.Rats don't have good sight anyway,so they rely on their other senses!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *