Holiday Traveling. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Holiday Traveling.

I am going to be traveling for christmas and we are going to take Tiger with us. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a cat using a leash? We aren't traveling far... Only about 4 hours and we are going to stop about every hour to see if Tiger has to go potty. We are taking his litter box with us and going to pull it out and Tiger as well and put him in it to get him to potty. And for safety reasons he will be on a leash and a collar that goes around his neck, legs, and belly so that he dosn't try to escape. Anyone have any advice for using a leash with a cat? I just want to take extra precautions while traveling with him.

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I have traveled with my cats MANY times and never used a leash. We have little carrier bags and usually unzip them once we get going. I don't think stopping that often is necessary, but you can. What I do is bring a disposable litter box and just set it on the floor so my cats can do while we drive. I have traveled across the country with my cats and never had any problems. Good Luck!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He has a traveling carrier that he will be in most of the time because my husbands car is leather.. he dosn't want claw marks all over them. So, when we stop he will come out of the carrier and put on a leash and go in the litter box, then clean it and leave the litter box in the trunk and then put Tiger back in the carrier.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Newborn Pup

make sure you keep some blankets in the carrier if you live in a cold area, and for 4 hours you dont have to stop that much. just check on your cat and make sure its okay periodicaly. my cat hates the carrier and crys unless you put your hand in with her. but i like the other person idea, just bring a small litterbox and let the cat out for like 30 mins during your trip and then have him go back in the carrier and contunue on your trip. i seem to remember getting a leash for my cat but she wouldnt wear it. so if you manage it, for extra security just make sure the doors of the cars are closed. i hope all goes well =]

rue&mummbles my lovely degus always keep me up with their squeakkky wheel
i love hearing them squeak when i enter the room
i love my little chimichangas =]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah that disposable litter box is highly recommended but if you have enough time to take breaks for potty, that should be fine.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Hello Earthling

A small dog harness works well (that's what I use with Amadeus) but you have to watch since cats are pretty good at slipping out of anything. I would personally leave the leash on him even when he is in the carrier and have the leash coming out of the carrier (but loose) so you can grab the leash before opening the door.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, He has a collar that just goes around his neck; but, we got one that goes around his whole body ie: neck, legs, chest/belly. Hopefully he will cooperate.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if your cat isn't used to going out side then just leave him in a cat carrier 4 hours isn't that long stopping and going out side will really really stress him out.

You can get a really big carrier and have a litter box secured in it, but likely he won't use it. Or you can have your normal one and don't stop at all. he can hold it for 4 hours. If you want you can fast your cat and remove food and water in the morning or at night if your leaving first thing in the morning then give him food and water as soon as you get there.

Also, it would probably be best to limit your cat to one room as a move like that can stress them out. One room is manageable if it is a shy cat.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well; we are here. Got here yesterday. Tiger slept most of the ride. We stopped once, got the litter box out, and food and water, but, being outside freaked him out. He didn't drink any water or eat any food, nor did he use the litter box. So, we just put him back in the cage and went on our way. Since we have been home, I haven't seen him eat much. Hes coming around at my moms house. Seems scared of alot, like he used to be when we first got him, but, i know its because hes in a new place. Hes doing really well.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.

Tags
cat, leash