Hopeless Fat Cat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Hopeless Fat Cat?

I have tried everything I know to get my fat Lucy cat to lose weight, and she just gets fatter & fatter. Anyone else have that problem? I've had 9 cats and NONE have been overweight but her! One vet made me feel like I was abusing her...another one said he had one the same way; that it just seemed to be in her genes to be fat. Comments please!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Hello Earthling

What are you feeding her and how much?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

my cat is fat shes like 16 or 17 lbs probably more (she is normally a big cat ,maine coon, but she is still overweight) only problem with her being so big is she gets like yeast infection or something (dont really remember what the vet said) she's on 1/3 or 1/2 cup science diet (the weight control stuff) she will literally chew through things for food (hamster food bags, dog food bags, cat litter bags, guinea pig food bags) it's driving me crazy ahhhh everything has to be hidden from her. I feel bad though because she is always hungry. One of the vets I've seen said have them eat wet cat food it fills them up for longer. good luck

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

is your cat an outside cat? if so she should be getting the excersize needed to loose weight. if shes indoor try playing with her. this may seem mean but maybe annoy her this will get her more active. try limiting her to her food. if she is a grown cat she prob doesnt need can meat anymore. oh yes, also try putting her food in her toys as a treat so she has to play with them to get the food, they make toys especially for that use. also try hiding food around the house so she can get her instincts of hunting for food

I hope this helps, i dont want to interfere with your ways of teaching/training cats. youve had more cats then ive ever had. these are just a few suggestions

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Lucy's approx. 22lbs now! I feed her 1/2 (small) can of 9-lives in the morning and about 3/4 to 1 cup dry (total..spread out a couple times through the rest of the day.) Doesn't seem like that much to me! I would prefer to keep her strictly on the canned, but with 2 other cats with different feeding needs, it's hard to be on a real strict regimen. She's indoors, but I let her out supervised in our fenced-in yard. She doesn't seem burdened by her weight--she's happy, playful--just needs help cleaning her bottom! She's 8 years old. I just don't like being made to feel like I'm sentencing her to early death when she seems to be enjoying her life very much as it is! In her pics in my album, you can see how scrawny she was when we found her!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 PM

My fat Homer is about 16 and a half lbs. My other cat, Stinky, is healthy and just little, but she is at 8 lbs.

Stinky eats just as much as Homer, but she is more active than Homer is.

If I give Homer less food, he will just eat Stinky's food. And my husband refuses to give them any less food. The cats have him trained. If they have eaten the food in a way that the tiny hole in te food is showing the bottom of the bowl, they just meow and meow for more. The cats have trained hubby well. He doesn't want to listen to their meowing, so he gives them more food.

I'm fighting all three of them, the cats and hubby.

Fat Homer has to lose some weight!

Tommycat, I think this might just be hopeless.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

just force them to play and be more active figure out a fun game

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
just force them to play and be more active figure out a fun game
Yeah playing and exercise is the best thing to help fat cats, plus a litt decrease of food.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!