How can you tell if a cat is pregnant? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question How can you tell if a cat is pregnant?

Okay, so, long story ...

Basically, there was a bunch of cats that always hung out at my boyfriend's stepdad's work (he works at the local mall). One of them, a very sweet girl, had a very bad cut one day. Her side was literally torn open and muscle was showing We thought it might have been the resident tom, or it might have been some cruel kids we heard about who claimed to have been throwing a cat up to see if it would land on its feet But that's not the point of this story.

Anyway, since her cut was so bad, we took her home for a little while to let it heal since we didn't want it to get infected, and we didn't want the tom to kill her if it was because of him. So she's been living in our garage for a little over a month.

She's suddenly gotten fat. Very fat. And she's a small cat.
Now mind you, my boyfriend's stepdad has been overindulging her since, being a stray, she ate like she'd never seen food the first few days. But she's more than doubled in her weight since she arrived.
She's probably anywhere from six to eight months old by our best calculations.

We've tried to feel for kittens, but my boyfriend's mom said she couldn't feel anything but belly. The cat, who is normally VERY affectionate, didn't even let me touch her belly. I don't even know if you'd be able to feel them this soon.

Does anyone here know any ways to tell if a cat is pregnant? Or are we just going to have to see if one day in a month or so, we go out to the garage in the morning to see more than one cat greeting us?
She's going to be going to the vet (since it's looking like we're going to be keeping her), but I'd just like to know if there's any way we can know for sure before then. She won't be going for at least three weeks since she'll have to be spayed before we can bring her inside and they're all booked up for at least that long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, her side has healed up very nicely with no complications, in case any of you were wondering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I dont know about this stuff. But her age 8 months and she was a stray, and her tummy is getting bigger i would say yes she is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Newborn Pup

Look for nipples. I used to collect the strays when I lived in Wisconsin, let them have their kittens and then take all of them to the vet to get fixed. The vet was a friend so she did it basically for cost only. The nipples were the best indicator of pregnancy. Also, since she is a stray, she may have worms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Playful Pup

Yup! Check the nipples....that's what I always do!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Newborn Pup

Well I have a long hared cat that I think just pregnant, and I wanted to know how the kittens could be able to get milk with all that long hair in the way?
THANH YOU!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

Firstly: Welcome here!
Secondly: This thread is extremly old, making a new one would have been better.
Thirdly: I don't think God would have made cats with long fur if the kittens wouldn't be able to get any milk. If you're not religous.....well if long haired cats had a hard time getting milk, there wouldn't be any left in the world anymore and how would your cat have made it, lol. Hope I helped.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Newborn Pup

Yea that is true I never really thought about that!!!
Thank You!!!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Newborn Pup

I just imagined a little a newborn kitten digging through his mom's fluff to find her milk. Ha! XD
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 AM

hi i have pregnant long haired cat and as the pregnancy progresses her fur around the nipples sort of dissapear so when she lies on her back you can see every nipple but if you cant see her nipples once she has had them you may have to cut off the fur around her nipples hope this helps.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

this post is really old so if you want you can start a new one

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie