How do I know to let go? Please Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How do I know to let go? Please Help!

My cat is dying and I do not want to give up on her too early because I would never forgive myself. She may be in the end stages of renal failure, the doctor put her on antibotics to try and help but I do not see it working.
She barely eats her soft food and I am not seeing her drink water. Can someone please give me suggestions on what to look for. I have never lost a pet before.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Betta Bomb

I just lost my 14 year old dog last week. Trust me, if the thought is passing your mind it means you are considerate enough to recognize that the pain of losing your friend humanely will not be as bad as the pain of losing her to renal failure. It was the hardest decision of my life, one that afflicts me every day but seeing my little dog suffer mentally the way he was became more burdensome and painful to see than did the sight of him laying finally at peace.

People will always tell you, "you'll know", but I learned just these last 2 weeks that it's not that simple. You must be in a clear headed position to weigh the pros and cons of such a large decision. And talk with your vet. A couple days of having her pain free would be suffice, before, if, you let her go.

Bless you and your little kit. I wish the best for you guys.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you

All I want to do is cry because I love her so much and I do not want her to be in pain. She does not meow, unless she gets a treat and I think that is repetion on her part.
She walks so slow and when I look into her eyes, they looks foggy.
Thank you for your kind words, I need that so much right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Betta Bomb

I still cry about my dog. Trust me, time is the only cure. (even tonight the scabs were torn open bc for my birthday my sister arranged to have a cake done to look like my dog and we all bawled) Everything will remind you of her and even doing simple tasks will become a new thing. Life changes after the loss of our little friends. It's okay to be sad because we love them so much. Every aspect of our lives revolves around them and it is totally natural to want to keep them around forever. It never seems fair when nature takes things we love away, but nature was never a kind thing. We adapt to live and we live to adapt. I really feel sympathy for you, I guess words can not express. Grief is one emotion that humans share with some of our animal friends but language is what makes us unique. I found it helped to talk about Coco with my boyfriend. We openly cried for him we shared stories and we looked at photos and videos. I get a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about him (and seeing that cake tonight) but when it's all said and done it's vital that you think about all the wonderful memories you share, rather than the pain of letting her go.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I just had to put my ig down, its a hard choice and for me i knew one day that that was the day it had to be done. I could see that she couldn't get around like she used to and had to be hurting and couldn't take it anymore. It was actually releaving to see her peaceful and just sleep. I don't have great words of wisdom as i think one day you will know when she has had enough and doesn't want to be around anymore and you have the option of ending it peacefully with little to no pain. I have seen many animals put to sleep at the shelter and it really is peaceful if you haven't seen it before.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't know the age of your cat, but it sounds like she is old and doing her best.
There is a quality of life scale that most vets use to determine whether an animal should be euthanised or not.
For example:
Is the pet eating and drinking?
Having bowel control ?
Showing signs of pain...?
Able to walk?
Able to sleep in comfort? etc.
Our animals give us so much and we owe it to them to not let them suffer needlessly.
Best wishes with this very difficult decision.

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Truly a very hard situation and decision, I'm sorry for your cat. This too, will end.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you everyone

I so do appreciate the support. This is the hardest thing I have ever done. I too am so sorry for your losses, I would have never imagined this event in my life to be this hard.
Bina you asked a couple questions, I would love to answer, maybe you can tell me.
Brandie is about 14, is barely drink or eats. I got her soft food so that she can get something down. I don't see that she is going to the restroom, I have two cats so it is a bit difficult to see.
She walks but very slow, and short distances. She looks very peaceful when she sleeps. I am very allergic to cats, but this morning I let her in my bedroom because she was crying. She walked around a bit, then walked in my shower and just stood there, eventually sitting down. The shower was still wet from my shower.
I do not want her to suffer and right now she looks miserable, like when I get sick. She is dehydrated but drink small amounts of water.
I have made the decision to send her to Jesus but not until Friday, I need some time with her before she leaves me.
I can't stop crying, I love her so much. I feel that she is going through the motions and that is all, basically all she can do.
She was diabetic and that went away, now her little body is just surviving. It is like she was fine one minute and the next, she went down hill and I can't bring her back; just love her and let her go.
My husband is taking this hard and he is coming to the point that he is ready to save goodbye.
Thank you everyone, I need this so much and I do appreciate the site for being open.
God bless you
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

The thing with most pets is that they can't tell us where it hurts and how much it hurts. It does sound like, at age 14, your kitty has some health issues going on that she can't survive.
We have had to euthanize 2 older cats over the years, one was age 14 and had a large tumour removed but continued to slip away, we knew she was in lots of pain and she stopped eating.
The other cat was 17 and also started to have trouble eating and had a leaky eye. When the vet put her under anesthesia to check her mouth the vet discovered a large tumour in the roof of the cat's mouth. Again, we had no choice but to let her go.
These are very painful decisions and losses, but we try to hold onto the good memories and know that our pets had a long and happy life as best as we could provide.
Wishing you strength for Friday.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you Bina, I have moved up the day to tonight, Thursday. My sweet little love in going to be leaving me tonight at 6pm, October 6. I loved her so much and I will miss her so. I know this is the right decision but it hurts so much. Thank you for your prayers.
:prayer:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

May she pass on feeling your love....

Tags
cat, dying