How long are cats in heat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Lightbulb How long are cats in heat?

Someone was kind enough to dump off a half starved female cat at my house. This is the second cat that's been dumped here in the past 6 months. The last one was a little male kitten that was so starved and weak he could barely walk and he kept falling over. We brought him in, had him dewormed, got him fattened up and found him a new home. About 2 months later someone dropped off this female.

Now that this female has gained some weight she has come into heat. We were going to make an appointment to get her spayed prior to her coming in heat (because my mom wants to keep her) but I guess we're a little late. She has been meowing pretty much non-stop for the past week. I can't remember the last time we've had an unspayed female around here so I forgot how long they're in heat, meowing like this.

So, someone refresh my memory. How long is this cat (who my nephew named Carmel because of her color) going to be meowing and rubbing herself all over everything? The carpet is getting worn out from her rolling around on it and my mom's nerves are getting pretty frayed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:36 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Wow!!! Do I remember those days. My gal I had tried my best not to spay as an albino manx is abit rare and had hoped to breed her as she is identical to her Mama. But in the long run I couldnt stand the late night "OW,OWW, OWW's!!" Then she also would urinate on anything in her path when she got angry. She was 3 when I finally had her fixed. Be aware though if you do... my little gal at 3years weighed 5.5 pounds and right after expanded to a whopping 11 pounds!! Her diet didnt change but my assumption due to hormonal her weight did. I wouldnt have expected that kind of wieght change at 3 years old but it didnt take long. Now I'm trying to get it off her which is difficult as Meow is in NO WAY a finicky eater so ..........her down fall is when my son is eating Oreo's lol. I swear she can hear the package opening.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

I got this off another website:

Q: What is considered a normal estrus, or "heat" cycle in cats? From everything we have read, they can come into heat several times a year, but there is no mention of the average length of one cycle. Can you help?

A: The estrus cycle of cats is unusual. Cats are "induced ovulators", which means that their bodies attempt to stay in estrus until they mate. This stimulates ovulation which ends the heat cycle. If they are not bred, they may go out of heat in as short a time as few days or stay in heat for a variable length of time. Some cats appear to almost stay in heat continuously. I believe that the average length of time in heat is probably between 3 and 7 days and that the average time between cycles is just under 3 weeks, but that is from memory (my books are at my clinic and I'm at home). The way that cats behave during heat cycles is probably one of the major reasons that people have them spayed. They just seem so uncomfortable!

Mike Richards, DVM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I live in a Pigdom

My female went into heat the beginning of January and had not come out of it when we had her spayed on Leap day how many years ago... She was driving us nuts!

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Rhonda - just an FYI ... I do believe you can still have a cat spayed even while they are in heat I think on "average" 10-14 days rings a bell?? Maggie was just going into heat (a year ago) when I had her spayed. Wouldn't hurt to call the vbet anyway & ask their policies on it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

They can spay her while she's in heat, it will just cost a bit more.

Most cats I've been around will go in and out of heat constantly until they mate. It can get pretty annoying.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

you can have them spayed while they are in heat but u have to pay more since they bleed alot more. The only reason i now that is because iw as calling around to see how much it would cost to get my girls fixed, one of the vets told me that if they are in silent heat it will be more money due to the bleeding factor and there is a big chance of the pet dieing. both my girls are in heat for an average of a week. I hope that helps some.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My mom called the vet today and made an appointment on Jan. 30 to have her spayed. I'm not sure if the carpet or my mother's nerves can last that long!

Rhonda

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Playful Pup

WE had same thing here! Our youngest addition Zazou was so tiny when she arrived. So we decided to get her healthier first.... ;2 weeks later our little quite cutie was in heat. Oh my , she was NOT quiet anymore! We could hear her scream from cellar to attic!! It took her 6,5 days to get over it. She is spayed now, as I never ever want to witness a cat in heat again

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:04 PM

I have a balinese female that is not spayed. Her heats last for about a week. The first one was the worst. She is going to be fixed pretty soon so no more noise!! YES!!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

when I had my last 2 cats, before they got fixed they were horrible to deal with lol...one would be in heat then the other, we got them fixed as soon as possible after that lol, it was loud and embarrasing, when someone would pet them they got way to happy lol....our vet also would have done it while in heat, but we waited till they were done and did it...lol it was nice to have the silly cats back to normal lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM

lol!! I can only imagine having 2 in heat at once. I have 3 female kittens now and I am going to be so glad when they are gone. I took my female in to get fixed about 5 and half months ago and found out she was pregnant. That was her first and last litter and now she is in heat again since the kittens are fixed!! AHHHHHHHH!! I cant wait til this is over with!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:11 PM

Here are pics of my girls and my man http://photobucket.com/albums/e233/balicatmomof2/?sc=1
I got 3 more females due to horny cats and a stupid husband. Hopefully I can find a home for the kitties before they go into heat!! I cant wait until mommy and daddy get fixed at the end of the month.The howling is enough from 1. I cant imagine 4 going

Tags
heat cycle, male cat