How Many Different Cat Breeds are There? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

How Many Different Cat Breeds are There?

ok everyone. i'm attempting to re-write the breed profiles section of paw-talk, and have compiled a list of the different breeds of cats. are any breeds missing from my list? if so, respond to this thread or e-mail me at [email protected].

----------------------------------------
Association Recognition Color Key:
CFA & TICA CFA ONLY TICA ONLY
----------------------------------------
  1. Abyssinian (Abyssinian Breed Group)
  2. American Bobtail LH/SH (American Bobtail Breed Group)
  3. American Curl LH/SH(American Curl Breed Group)
  4. American Shorthair (American Shorthair Breed Group)
  5. American Wirehair (American Shorthair Breed Group)
  6. Balinese (Siamese Breed Group)
  1. Bengal (SBT ONLY)
  2. Birman
  3. Bombay (Burmese Breed Group)
  4. British Shorthair (British Breed Group)
  5. British Longhair (British Breed Group)
  6. Burmese (Burmese Breed Group)
  7. California Spangled
  8. Chartreux
  9. Chausie
  10. Colorpoint Shorthair
  11. Cornish Rex
  12. Cymric (Manx Breed Group)
  13. Devon Rex
  14. Egyptian Mau
  15. European Burmese
  16. Exotic Shorthair (Persian Breed Group)
  17. Havana
  18. Himalayan (Persian Breed Group)
  19. Japanese Bobtail LH/SH(Japanese Bobtail Breed Group)
  20. Korat
  21. LaPerm LH/SH (LaPerm Breed Group)
  22. Maine Coon
  23. Manx (Manx Breed Group)
  24. Munchkin LH/SH (Munchkin Breed Group)
  25. Nebelung
  26. Norwegian Forest
  27. Ocicat
  28. Ojos Azules LH/SH (Ojos Azules Breed Group)
  29. Oriental LH/SH (Siamese Breed)
  30. Persian (Persian Breed Group)
  31. Peterbald
  32. Pixiebob LH/SH (Pixiebob Breed Group)
  33. RagaMuffin
  34. Ragdoll
  35. Russian Blue
  36. Savannah
  37. Scottish Fold LH/SH (Scottish Fold Breed Group)
  38. Selkirk Rex LH/SH (Selkirk Rex Breed Group)
  39. Siamese (Siamese Breed Group)
  40. Siberian
  41. Singapura
  42. Snowshoe
  43. Somali (Abyssinian Breed Group)
  44. Sphynx
  45. Tonkinese
  46. Toyger
  47. Turkish Angora
  48. Turkish Van
thanks everyone!
amber

our breed profiles section really needs pictures! so far, i have only received TWO pictures and they are both of siamese kitties. whereas i am very greatful to roz and chrisanne for sending these pictures, i would like to ask everyone to help by sending more pictures. this section will be a beautiful addition to the paw-talk website if we all chip in, but will be a huge failure without the paw-talk members support. please send your pictures asap so we can make our profile section the best of the best.

here's the link to send pictures:

http://www.rare-breed-cattery.com/br...cture_form.htm

if you don't have a picture to contribute, you can always contribute your breed specific knowledge using this link:

http://www.rare-breed-cattery.com/br...ile_survey.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 01:24 PM

I'll see if I can get a pic of my mom's old crochety abbyssinian this afternoon!

I have a persian but I have a hard time getting pics of her without her eyes glowing.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
I'll see if I can get a pic of my mom's old crochety abbyssinian this afternoon!

I have a persian but I have a hard time getting pics of her without her eyes glowing.
thanks so much for trying to get the abby pic! it will be a wonderful addition to the profiles section!

as far as the glowing eyes go, i have the same picture problems with my exotics (shorthaired persians). what i do with the photos is this: turn off the flash and place the kitty in a well lit area. as long as the lighting is good, the eyes will not glow, the cat will not squint, and you'll have a beautiful picture. check out my website and see the picture of flame in the queens section:

http://www.rare-breed-cattery.com/

it should give you a better idea of what i'm talking about. unfortunately, exotics and persians are all eyes and the copper color really reflects the flash.i would LOVE to have a picture of your persian if you end up getting a good picture!

amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'd love to help but I don't have any pics to send you, I've only had DSH mixes. My sister had a persian but the pics are very old and not good quality.

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

right now, anything's better than nothing! if i can get the cat section re-written in the next week or two, and no-one volunteers for the dog profiles, i'll be re-writing the dog profiles as well. keep your doxie pictures handy because they will be awesome for the dog profiles! thanks dappledoxie!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 12:05 AM

I have quite a few different dog breed pictures that I've taken over the years. I can send them when you get started on the dog breed profiles.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
I have quite a few different dog breed pictures that I've taken over the years. I can send them when you get started on the dog breed profiles.
you're amazing roz! everywhere i turn i find you offering support and expertise. thanks for the dog pictures as i will definitely need them if no one else volunteers. would you, or anyone else, be interested in writing all of or at least a few profiles for the dog section? i could send you the format and all you would have to do is fill in the blanks. heck, i'll even let you pick the breeds you want to write about since we don't have anything so far! if we scrape up 60 different breeds, and 10 people volunteer, that's only 6 profiels per person to write and we'd be done! let me know....

amber

:party:
This is my 100th post!

Last edited by RareBreedExotic; 07-25-2004 at 12:20 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 12:22 AM

Congrats on your 100th post!

I think I can help out with some profiles. How many cat profiles do you still have to do, by the way?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 12:27 AM

Just so you know, here's the dog breeds I have photos of:

Australian Cattle Dog (blue)
Australian Shepherd (blue merle)
American Cocker Spaniel (gold)
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (red/white)
Labrador Retriever (yellow...elderly. Probably not a good example, as a result. lol)
Golden Retriever (gold AND white)
Cocker Spaniel (black phantom...I think that's what it's called.)
Weimaraner (pup and adult pics)
Belgian Tervuren
German Shepherd
Miniature Poodle (whites)

That's all for now. I'm hoping to go to some dog shows soon and find more dogs with owners who don't mind me photographing them. lol. I love photography.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

awesome roz! lets see, i've scraped up 54 cat breeds (not including the longhair vs shorthair and wedgehead vs applehead differences) and have completed (minus pictures) about ten profiles. i've got dibs on the exotics, since i breed them, but you're welcome to steal a few profiles as well. just go to the following link and fill in the blanks or i can ask jade if i can send you the link to post the threads directly:

http://www.rare-breed-cattery.com/br...ile_survey.htm

i'll make sure you get credit for the writing if you don't want to post, but i'm sure jade won't mind if you want to help directly.

here's an example of the abyssinian profile i'm currently working on:

------------------------------------------------------
Country of Origin:
Clouded in mystery. History points to Ethiopia, while genetic research points to the coast of the Indian Ocean and parts of Southeast Asia.

Breed History:
in progress...

Life Span:
9-15 years; some living though their early 20's

Average Height:
Not available

Average Weight:
Not available

Coat Length(s):
Medium

Coat Texture(s):
Fine Texture/Soft and Silky

Coat Color(s):
Ruddy, Red, Blue and Fawn

Average Litter Size:
3-4 kittens per litter

Activity Level:
High

Vocal Abilities:
Quiet; Can and does communicate in other ways

Temperament:
Abyssinians are very active cats that love people and enjoy the company of other cats. While not described as a lap cat, Abyssinians are known to follow their owners from room to room while attempting to engage in their owner's chores and tasks. Seen as highly intelligent, Abyssinians have been known to understand concepts such as the relationship between keys and locks, and are described as using their paws in a way much like humans use their hands. When looking for a lost Abyssinian, the best place to look is up because Abyssinians love high places. They also have a unique love for water and have been known to play in faucets and kitchen sinks!

Suitable Living Environment(s):
Owners of Abyssinians must be aware that this breed is very attached to it's family and will not do well in a home where the owner is constantly away. Abyssinians do not do well in confined areas, and prefer to have plenty of space to climb, jump and run.

Is This Breed Adaptable to Children or Multi-Person Homes?
Yes. Abyssinians enjoy human companionship of all ages.

Is This Breed Adaptable to Other Animals or Pets?
Yes. Abyssinians can become very attached to dogs.

Is This Cat Adaptable to Other Cats?
Male - Yes ; Female - No

Care and Exercise:
Grooming an Abyssinian is relatively easy. Occasionally brush the coat, and use a rubber mitt to remove dead hair when shedding occurs. The coat can be polished with a damp chamois leather to bring out the natural shine. Abyssinians also require regular tooth brushing due to a moderately high susceptibility to gingivitis.

Health Issues:
Gingivitis, Renal Amyloidosis, Progressive Retinal Atrophy (RPA), Neurological Storage Disease, Psychogenic Alopecia

Other Important Information:
Abyssinians like to help and are very curious, which can be misinterpreted as mischief.

Links to More Abyssinian Info:
Click Here to View the CFA Abyssinian Breed Standards: http://www.cfa.org/breeds/standards/abyssinian.html

Click Here to View the TICA Abyssinian Breed Standards: http://www.tica.org/abbrdgrpstd063003.pdf

------------------------------------------
let me know what you're up to! i can handle the cats, but probably will have difficulty with the dogs because i'm no dog expert. however, if you want to help but dogs just aren't your thing, i'm ok with sharing the cat profiles.

amber
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:11 AM

Dogs are more my thing than cats, actually. That's why I have so many photos of them. lol. I love cats but I'm more of a dog person. I've always had both animals in my life. How about this, I will help out with the dog profiles since you've got the cat profiles under control?

When would you like me to start work on the dog profiles, and also, which breeds?

Last edited by Tilt; 07-25-2004 at 01:13 AM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:23 AM

Do you still need Devon Rex pics? My cousin has two, I'm sure I can get her to send me some pics of her kitties. I know they are pure bred because she got them from a show breeder along with pedigrees.
Also, for the dog listings, I can send American Pitbull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Boxer, Miniature Pinchers (both red and black/tan), Golden Retrievers, and anything else I can dig up. All would be pics of friends dogs
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:24 AM

It sounds to me like the cat AND dog profiles are going to be AWESOME when done
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 06:53 AM

I will try to get a few pics of my manx sometime today (I think there is a few on the other computer)
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Dogs are more my thing than cats, actually. That's why I have so many photos of them. lol. I love cats but I'm more of a dog person. I've always had both animals in my life. How about this, I will help out with the dog profiles since you've got the cat profiles under control?

When would you like me to start work on the dog profiles, and also, which breeds?
roz, you can have all of the dog profiles if you want them! my expertise is solely related to cats and with you being a dog person this works out great. i haven't compliled a list of dog breeds, yet, so i guess your first step is to figure out the different breeds. once you've got a list put together, see how many profiles you can handle and let me know which ones you're doing, if not all. i can set up a picture permission slip and submittal page on my website that sends the pics directly to your e-mail or you can set up the form on your website as long as you have key questions regarding copyright info and stuff. it's up to you. just save all of the permission forms for jade and let me know how you want to work this. i'm up for anything and appreciate the help! also, there is no rush on the project, but the sooner we get the profiles up the better since they're currently disabled.

Tags
australian cattle dog, australian shepherd, bull terrier, cattle dog, cavalier king charles, cavalier king charles spaniel, cocker spaniel, german shepherd, golden retriever, kennel club, king charles spaniel, labrador retriever, maine coon, pure bred, turkish angora