How much tuna is too much? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

How much tuna is too much?

Hi,

My wife and I have 6 cats. For years now we've fed them either a science diet or some other premium natural type of dry cat food but the vet told us that we should give them something wet. We started giving them tuna a few years back. Each day, twice a day, the 6 of them split a can of tuna. Its the most common size (can't think of how many oz but again, most common size).

We started out with 1 can but my wife saw how much they love it and then started doing it twice a day.

At each feeding, they get about 1/3rd cup of dry food and 1/6th a can of tuna.

---------------------------

So what I'm asking is if this is too much? I'm assuming the vitamin E in the dry food offsets the bad stuff in the tuna but I'm obviously not sure which is what brought me here.

The reason I've brought this up is because of the mercury content but all the articles I read seem to mention polyunsaturated fatty acids not being offset enough by vitamin E. Kinda seems like there would be a basic ratio of how much V-E to Tuna is ok but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The articles all just seem to say, "Don't feed too much . . . but they don't say how much is too much."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:02 PM
can't think of one, help

My kitties love tuna, and tuna water. I would suggest only using the tuna packed in water.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 12:54 AM

I'm not sure how much tuna is too much, but I think getting it twice a day is too much. When we open a can of tuna, our cats don't even get the tuna, all they get is the juice (packed in water) on top of their dry food.. they love it. I don't know why the vet would say they needed more wet food, but I don't think that tuna is a good replacement for that. If you're looking for something fresher, with more protein, you might try feeding them a little bit of raw food. My cats adore the ground organs/whole organ meats our dogs get sometimes. If there is a raw dog food store near you, you could try that. You could probably even order some online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

I don't remember what his reason was but I recall it being sound. I've always fed my cats a mixture of dry and wet but it was always science diet and almost all of them lived past 18.

My cats don't like the science diet wet though unfortunately because my wife gives up on a food if they show any finickyness about it.

Maybe there's a tuna flavored science diet.

In any case, I agree, Tuna twice a day seems like too much. I was just hoping to find out if that was true for certain :-) .

Thanks,
Joe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:59 AM
RAT ADDICT

I also think that tuna twice a day is not good.Also it is very salty.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:55 PM
can't think of one, help

although mine love it, they almost never get it, Funny thing though they always knew the difference when I used to hide medicine in, somehow they discovered they didn't care for it then or they'd very very carefully pick around the peices of crushed pill.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Salamander Buffalokisser

there are other forms of wet food out there, my cat loves the meow mix packets he gets two packets a day of the wet stuff and unlimeted dry food. I don't give him any tuna at all cause the vet said it wasn't good for cats to have fish. I don't remember why though

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I always thought that fish was bad for male cats. It caused some sort of urinary tract blockage - but I cannot remember exactly what.
I give my guys the water off the tuna too. They LOVE it. We don't eat much tuna so it's a rare treat for them.
Now I am craving a tuna fish sandwich!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
cat food, dog food, dry cat food, dry food, male cat, wet food