How old is this kitten and can he have real food yet? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How old is this kitten and can he have real food yet?

It weighs 15.3oz, eyes are wide, canines and incisors are in and molars are starting to break, he walks but not well, and his ears are perked.

I picked him up while making my rounds at the feedyard...his mother and one other little'un were sitting by a feedbunk. All I saw to begin with was the mother and I nearly ran her over...just barely saw her in time. I scared her and the two kittens were left. One up and hauled *** once I got out of the truck...he was alive, wide, and bushy tailed...he seemed fairly content with his own situation so I left him there. The other didn't run, though. He seems healthy and chubby...been eating well. His eyes are infected, though...one was sealed shut with scabs and puss. I took him to the office and cleaned both his eyes and his nose up...the rest of him was kept in good order. He's very talkative when he's awake...even more so now that he can see. Doesn't stay awake much, though, and isn't very interested in food...or what I have (chicken) anyway.

Anyhow..opinions?

I have a gecko...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...or does a gecko have me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:52 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok I'm no expert on this but when I got my kitten I was told that if he could eat solids, let him eat them. Just get a high quality food for kittens...otherwise you'll need to go and get a milk supplement and bottle feed. He/she does look smaller than Milko was but I got milko almost a week after he had been taken from his mum and he was only 4 weeks when I got home and the woman that had him didn't have to bottle feed him.
Someone will be around with more advice soon I'm sure, but I just wanted to help out so at least you're not wondering what to do tonight! Whatever you do don't give that little kitty cow's milk! The lactose is really bad. If you can't get him/her to eat anything tonight (due to nowhere being open etc.) at least try and get him/her to take water so he stays hydrated and keep him warm!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Ditto to Carmen. You can try wetting down some kitten food, or giving some boiled chicken pieces. You may have to really water down and cut the chicken small though. Heating it up a bit may entice him to try it, though it needs to be very bland.

Watch and make sure he's using the potty too, I don't know at what age it becomes no longer necessary to stimulate defecation and urination. It's probably a good idea to use a warm wet cotton ball on his genitals every now and again; this will stimulate his potty instincts. I'm sure a kitty expert will be along soon though.

Congrats and good luck!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm not sure on that either but I know that Biscuit (my dog zero, she took on the motherly role) was helping milko out with the toilet thing for a couple of days before I seen anything in the litter tray. Even then Biscuit was still helping but I think she did it more for her own enjoyment, rather than Milko's needs

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Part of the Pack

I bottle fed my kitty when he was this old:

I think he was 3 weeks old in that picture.
That kitten looks younger than mine and if it can't walk right it's probably 2 weeks old. Don't give it cow's milk. You can try giving him KMR as since he's still young he needs the nutrients that cat's milk has. You'll need to get a kitten bottle for this and they sell these at any Petco or Petsmart. You will need to stimulate it to go to the bathroom since he's still really little. I'm not sure about the solids though. I didn't give mine solid food till he was more than a month old.

My babies...

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 03:58 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I would say he's probably 3-4 weeks old from the looks of him.

If he isn't eating solids--not even kitty mash (dry food moistened with warm water) or canned food for kittens--then go out and get a milk replacement formula for cats (KMR is a good brand, but I know even the local Wal-Mart in our area carried a kitten milk replacement) and a bottle. Now, I have mixed feelings with the bottle because it has never worked for me.

My girls came to me when they were about 1 week old and never took to the bottle. Galina was so weak she couldn't suckle anyway. So, if you find he's not taking to the bottle (and give it a day or so to be sure--he's not going to like it at first, anyway, because it is not mama's teat and doesn't smell like mama), go out and buy a large syringe, preferably one with a tapered tip to make it easy to insert into the mouth.

Next, at his age he's probably just starting to go potty on his own, so you want to buy him a small litterbox (or even a plastic bin of some sort that you cut a hole into the side) and a NON-CLUMPING litter. The non-clumping factor is very important since little kittens sometimes play in their litter and at first, might try to taste it. If the litter is the clumping variety, it will clump up in their system and cannot be passed out--very disatrous.

Gerona started pottying by herself when she was 3 weeks old and never looked back. Maybe it was because 3 days after I received her, she had to have an enema and since then has wanted me NO WHERE near her hiney.

Galina, on the other hand, was still needing a little help at 4.5 weeks but by 5 weeks was going on her own. Just monitor it--if you don't see any signs of pee or a poo in 1-1.5 days, try stimulating him as Jade mentioned above. If by 2 days you still get nothing, call the vet because he may be constipated and might have to have an enema. By three days, it's serious and you need to see what's clogging him up.

And lastly, he might not have an appetite because he's sick. Gunky eyes is a common symptom of an Upper Respiritory Infection (URI) and so you will want to take him to the vet so they can check him out.

Galina was 5 weeks when she came down with a URI and her appetite dropped IMMEDIATELY. But, after about 2 days of medication, her appetite came back and has been normal since then.

Keep us updated on his progress!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:15 AM

I agree with Rowan. I say 3 -4 weeks too. I'm going a little closer to 3 weeks though. Eyes open at 8 days (approx.) and change color at about 5 weeks. If that helps you get a better determination. Personally, I would give some wet food and mix it with KMR - a feline milk suppliment. Sounds like he has a herpes virus (not contagious to people) that many kittens get. If you have a vitamin shop around by you or a natural food store see if they carry Lysine. Look for it in powder capsule form and put a capsule in the kittens food, that will help with the symptoms. He also needs some terramycin from the vets office which is an antibiotic ointment for the eyes. If he is closer to 3 weeks you may need to stimulate him after he eats by taking a warm moist paper towel and rubbing his butt. Keep a little cardboard tray with litter in it though because he may just want to use that instinctively instead - I had a bunch of bottlefeds that did that to me once - I could have not been happier.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I'd say merely by look he is indeed 3 weeks maybe 4... However, we have a kitten we knew was 7 weeks old and looked to be only 3. I'd say, try the moistened solid food. If he eats it, great. if not, you'll have to get the formula.

Some remedies we used for the eyes on barn cats includes warm milk, moisten a bit of white bread with the warm milk and dab the eyes. Goldenseal in powder form mixed with some water is helpful too. Only a very small amount of course and it needs repeated application. How often I don't remember... Good luck with the little one!

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:50 AM

We have had a two litters come through that didn't really grow properly. They all looked like they were 3 -4 weeks old at 8 and 10 weeks. Unfortunately they were "down syndrom" kittens from inbreeding. Yes, we found out that kittens can be born with down sydrom. In the first litter of 3 we lost two of them and the second litter (just recently) out of 5 we lost 4 of them. Its especially sad because for some reason this kittens end up with such cute little personalities. Becareful of your little guy Keri. We noticed on this last litter that besides their bodies not growing their eyes never changed color either.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I cleaned him up and dropped him back off where I got him in a little box. He was mewing quite loudly (very healthy lungs) so I figured he'd get the attention he needed. Sure enough, mum come got him.

I have a gecko...

...or does a gecko have me??
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have to admit I'm not great with orhaped babies like that, even though the rescue I work at has a ton.

She looks to be around 4 weeks.

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:07 AM

Dena, what are some of the other symptoms of Down Syndrome in cats? I'm curious.

*warning--a bit off topic*
My theory on Galina is that she was born prematurely. Her eyes did not open until she was almost FOUR weeks old and when she was 8 weeks, she looked like a 4-5 week old kitten. Her development progressed very slowly. And, her eyes have stayed blue. Now she is like a normal cat in all ways except that she's a bit tinier than most female cats. At around 5 months she got a growth spurt and now, at one year old, she's about the size of most 7-8 month old kittens. But, everything else about her is very normal. So, I was wondering about the down syndrom symptoms since the ones you mentioned apply to Galina somewhat.

And what are some other symptoms of herpes in cats? I didn't even know cats could get herpes! How do you find out for sure if a cat has it? From bloodwork?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:26 AM

Galina just sounds more premature than Down Syndrom. As far as I can tell cats with down syndrom don't survive their kitten hood. The first litter we had looked like little frogs. They were very round and fat. Their ears had never completely perked up and you could see they just weren't growning properly. At 10 weeks old they still looked like large 2-3 week old kittens. The one sister progressed normaly. Then we noticed they were having problems going to the bathroom. Mind in both of the litters we've had the mothers are actually extremely protective of these kittens instead of pushing them away like you would think. The vet told us that they were mongoloid kittens and what was happening was that their internal organs were growing somewhat normally creating that fat, roundness, but that the skeletal system wasn't growing at all. Their lungs would continue to grow and eventually suffocate themselves. Ontop of that their sphincter muscle no longer worked or they may have been born without one meaning you would need to give them an enimal everyday several times a day to make sure they were going to the bathroom or it would switch to constantly runny diarrhea. They tended to be very sweet and loving but much more lathargic than normal kittens. The second litter looked slightly more developed but we noticed they had stopped growing at around the 3-4 week mark. Their eyes had never changed color and they were not as active as most kittens eventually becoming very lathargic. They didn't have problems going to the bathroom but they started to have problems breathing and one by one their systems just shut down. Its awful, we were prepared with the second litter because we knew that they would have been severely inbred.

Herpes you will mostly see the worst side affects during kittenhood. It is not contagious to humans or other species. Its very common. Its one of the viruses that the combination distemper shot will take care of but the kitten I see come in get it before they are old enough to have it. It starts with runny eyes and looks like a URI. Then the eyes will start to swell and become inflammed and infected looking and they look so miserable. They need lots of TLC during this period and make sure they get plenty of fluid and food because they tend to stop eating when they can't smell the food. An older cat that was infected with the virus earlier in life will always carry the virus but the symptoms show up as contantly runny eyes and that seems to be it. They respond very well to Lysine but buy that in the powder/capsule form for $6 instead of this special paste that the vet now sells for $40.

I'm sure there is a ton more that I missed but thats all I can think of at the moment. Just remember this is the experience I've had in a shelter setting dealing with over 600 cats in 2 1/2 years.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the information, Dena!

Yes, after reading that, Galina just sounds like she was a premie. Mini-kitten!

Galina has some pretty awful looking eyes when I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with a URI. But, after he gave her some antibiotics and an eye ointment, she's never had the runny eyes again.

If one cat has herpes, can they transmit it to another cat? Or is it just something they themselves have and it's not contagious to anything else?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 01:41 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I would recomend you go to the place where you dropped off the cat and make sure it was picked up by its mother or someone... Just to make sure its ok, if not take him back and just try and take care of him/her. hopefully by the time you get this it isnt too late.

Tags
canned food, cat food, dry food, kitten food, litter tray, male cat, wet food