How to stop a kitty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Headlock

How to stop a kitty

From pooping and peeing in places thats not a litter box she peed in the washer and pooped in the middle of the floor the litter box is clean. Anyway to stop it?

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Could be she doesn't like the litter. Could be she doesn't like where you've placed the litter box and would like it someplace more private. Could be she doesn't like the TYPE of litter box. You could try getting a hooded vs an open-top one, and experiment with different types of litter in them, and see if that helps.

We have a kitty who was born in insulation, and her nasal cavities are very small. She can't stand any litter that's dusty. My other kitty used to prefer hooded, but now she can use open-top just fine. Cats can be confusing, they don't have many words to express their likes and dislikes with things.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
canis lupus familiaris

I agree. And if you didn't like whatever litter was being used before, you might have to revisit and switch slowly. I guess its like toilet paper. Its all preference lol.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

are you sure that shes not sick ? Alot of cats will stop using there littre box when there sick/in pain, because they think its the littre boxs falut. so they often look for new places to go to the washroom in hopes that the pain stops.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Last edited by Nibbler; 01-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Playful Pup

Yah I agree with Nibbler.,some cats or pets really doesn't want to use litter box when there'y sick believing that its the litter box' fault.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Betta Bomb

I wouldn't rule out illness either. When I thought Oliver had feline Luekemia (before he was tested negative) I was reading that infected cats often use elsewhere when they're feeling sick.
Behaviourally, as a kitten if she was taken from mama too early she might not have learned how to properly use it, or if there is too many cats or stressors in the house curently. My old roommate used to hoard cats and at the time I moved out, there were 7 cats using 1 litterbox (gag, I know it's borderline cruelty) and 2 had started using elsewhere.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Make sure the place is totally cleaned, up to every scent because it reminds them that is a pee/poop place. On the same case, mom don't let our cat access the place again, she placed a medium cabinet on the area.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Newborn Pup

I usually get the litter that is clumped and scented with baking soda as cats don't like perfumes. I would try this idea. Next time your cat peeps and poos put the waste in the litter boxes and bring your cat to the boxes to smell her scent from her waste that she did. Put her front paws into the box and move them in the litter by her waste like she is pawing at and scratching like digging then she'll get the idea that the litter box is where she's supposed to go to the bathroom and nowhere else. If she does go in on the floor or in the washer again afterwards have a small spray container with some water in it and put her nose to the waste and say her name then say NO and give her a bit of a spray and then bring the waste and the cat to the litter box. Place the waste in the box and let the cat smell it there and let the cat know that the litter box is the right place and if she does go in it and paw the litter then reward her with a soothing pet and say her name and say good boy or girl. Think of a cat or dog like a child who goes to the bathroom on the floor or in their pants. Its the training of right and wrong. that's how I train my pets. Soon they will learn. Probably your cat wasn't trained properly with a litter box and is not sure of it yet. Just be patient and make sure the cat knows that the litter box is right and the floor, washer is wrong. Good luck.

Misty is my Girl and I love her,

Anne

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Newborn Pup

I swear by pine pellet litter. I have 6 cats (I can't help the fact that the mother cat had 3 kittens under my porch...) and it works. It's low dust, is forgiving if you forget to clean it, and they don't track it.

A single cat only needs about 1.5" of litter pellets per day. When the pellets turn to dust, dump ONLY the dust. Sift out the pellets that remain & add more new pine pellets to the old one. It saves money.

Buy the cheapest kind, the two brands in Petsmart are basically the same.

"That house is doubly blest / Which to our feline friends gives rest." (The Black Cat, 1941 movie)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Headlock

An update I fixed the problem the cat is no longer an indoor cat.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaPaws23 View Post
An update I fixed the problem the cat is no longer an indoor cat.
Did you even try any of the suggestions?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Newborn Pup

Well I guess that would solve the issue heh...

-SD

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 PM
It's all for them

Putting the cat outside is not a solution, it is ignoring the problem. Cats avoid the litter box for a reason.

You received a lot of good information here. It is the pet owners responsibility to find out what is wrong and fix it, not chuck her out the door.

Poor cat. Now, not only has she lost her home, and is at high risk from predators, cars, sick people, illness and injury, if she is ill, she'll never be diagnosed or treated, just left to suffer and be ignored the rest of her life.

Is she spayed and vaccinated, at least?

I'm praying for you, poor little unloved kitty. Hopefully she'll wander off and be rescued by someone who cares about her.

Declawing: please read this first

Last edited by somebody; 03-12-2012 at 04:15 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
Putting the cat outside is not a solution, it is ignoring the problem. Cats avoid the litter box for a reason.

You received a lot of good information here. It is the pet owners responsibility to find out what is wrong and fix it, not chuck her out the door.

Poor cat. Now, not only has she lost her home, and is at high risk from predators, cars, sick people, illness and injury, if she is ill, she'll never be diagnosed or treated, just left to suffer and be ignored the rest of her life.

Is she spayed and vaccinated, at least?

I'm praying for you, poor little unloved kitty. Hopefully she'll wander off and be rescued by someone who cares about her.
As for the spayed I don't believe in that. And vaccination don't know where to get those.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:19 PM
It's all for them

I am replying, just in case someone might see this thread and take the troll seriously.

Spaying prevents pregnancy, uterine cancer and the deadly infection of the uterus called pyometra. Spaying also reduces the risk of the cat developing breast cancer.

Spaying also eliminates the kind of litter box avoidance this poster claims to have been having a problem with.

Vaccinations of course are given at the VET.

If you actually have thrown an unspayed unvaccinated previously indoor only cat outside, she probably won't live long, unless someone rescues her and takes her in. Her risk of contracting a communicable disease is very high, not to mention she will not know how to defend herself against predators, cars or evil people. She may already have a pyometra, it's possibly why she was avoiding the litter boxes, because she was sick, in which case her death will be very painful. and she will suffer greatly. If she manages to get pregnant rather than killed, her risk of dying during the labor is high, and of course the kittens probably won't live either.

Declawing: please read this first

Last edited by somebody; 03-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.