Humane Society or Newspaper??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Humane Society or Newspaper???

Tell me your opinion...
Is it better to get a kitten from a humane society or the papers??? I'm not getting one, I have plently I just waant to know your opinions.

Humane society: Costs $$$, but you help save kittens that somebody else didn't want and they may end up being put to sleep if you don't take them.

Newspapers: Free. I always hear people saying that kittens that are given away in the papers for free are often time abused, fed to snakes, or even given to fighting dogs to help train them. So therefore, if you got a kitten from the papers, you may be saving it from a horrible life, or even a horrible death.

So.....tell me what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm interested in the replies to this thread too! For our 4-year anniversary, my boyfriend got me a fabulous little gal from our local humane society. We fell absolutely in love with her, and she ended up having (we think) FIP. We had to have her put to sleep, and my heart is still broken. Our two current lovely little monsters were adopted from a different humane society, and they have (we think) feline herpes. Now, the feline herpes is not so bad to deal with...the eye infections were pretty chronic when they were very small, but we've had none in a while now (knock on wood!!!!).

Given our 100% rate of infection with feline viruses, 1 being horrific and fatal, my boyfriend and I were wondering if just having so many animals in the humane societies was just setting us and kitties up for disaster, or if we were just unlucky. Both facilities looked clean; of course you can't see microbes, but I did look for blatant overcrowding, unclean litterboxes, etc.

Next time, we might just go the paper route. Not to say any old kitty out of the paper can't have any host of diseases either. Maybe we're just meant to be caregivers to special kitties, but that's a hard lot in life.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm sorry to hear about your kitties. I hope your current kitties are able to live long healthly lives. I, personally, think buying them from the paper is better. Obviously, people who arae giving kittens away for free have nothing to gain from it, they are not after money. Plus, at least they put the money and effort into putting an ad up and not just dropping them off at the humane society. I figure that if people get the animals in the paper first, then those animals will not end up in the humane society a couple weeks later when the owner gives up hope.

Anyways....ignoring everything I just said, I want every elses opinion on this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh yeah, just to add...
I got a little feral kitten when she was a baby. I was hoping to be able to tame her and make her into a good pet(plus, she was adorable!A tortie!) Unfortunately, she didn't catch onto the litter box thing very well and a couple weeks later my hubby told me he didn't want to keep her and made me take her to the humane society. A couple days later I was talking to my husband and telling him how whoever gets the kitten will probably hate her because she doesn't use the litterbox, she won't let people touch her, and she's just not a good pet. After much talk, and many tears, my hubby finally agreed to let me take her back. Soooo, we went to the humane society to see if she was still available and when I saw her I almost cried. They had her in a tiny crate out in the hallway. She was soooo scared and when she saw me her eyes were full of fear and blame. I fought the tears and went to ask the woman in charge if we could take her back. She said we couldn't. We had to fill out all the paper, pay the fee($125) and wait to see if they would allow us to have her even though we were the ones that brought her(how dumb is that???). 2 days later they called and said we could have her. We picked her up 15 minutes later. They had already chipped her and stuff and she was frightened out of her mind!

She is now about 9 months old. Unfortunately she got out a couple months ago and now she has babies. I think it was actually a blessing though because since she had her babies she has been a normal cat and is no longer afraid. Don't worry though, we will fix her.
Here's a pic...

Again, anyways....back to the subject at hand.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we have done it both ways plus took a whole litter outside a grocery store...we have had good and bad with both situations...our current cat Mama we got from a rescue organization, she was so sick as a baby, we did everything for her, and after fighting for months she pulled through, she still has problems from time to time, but shes a great baby (they suspect FIP) the one we got free from an ad was mistreated and fearful, we had her 9 years and she never fully trusted anyone or anything...we took the liter from some rude person in a parking lot and they stole my heart, I got them homes and kept 2, they were amazing babies, but had chronic respitory problems...lol I have also had cases were everything went perfect in each situation....its really a personal choice, I tend to check the places out numerous times before getting a animal from there...some do it on impulse...just remember that when you go get the kitten or cat to keep it away from other pets till your own vet can check them out (just in case) its what we do...when considering getting a cat we make an appointment with the vet so we can go there before home...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

we got both our cats from friends. here our humanes soicety is over crowded and our paper will not allow you to advertise free to a good home becuase of what may happen they want you to charge at least 5 or 10 dollars that way not just anyone will take them. i prefer getting my pets from people i know becuase i have had friends have bad experiences getting them form the news paper and from the humane society and i couldn't bare the heart ache if something were to happen to my babies.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 PM
In Frosting Denial

not all kittens advertised in the newspapers are free

generally from SPCA kittens do cost more $$$, but here, they are de-sexed, flea and worm treated, and had first injections
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Naked Dog Mom

I think both are good. But then, we have a cat listed in the newspaper that we are trying to find a home for, so I am a little bit partial. I wish more people would adopt from newspapers than from shelters because then Sebastian would have a better home now. He would be at a humane society if there was room for him there, but I will never send him to a kill shelter. There are just so many cats here looking for homes that I think he would have a better chance at finding a home if people could see him at an adoption day rather than just seeing his name/description listed along with 25 other cats for adoption.

Personally, I would go with a kitten at a kill shelter or from the paper before I would get one from a no-kill shelter, simply because you know the ones at the no kill shelter aren't in danger. Rescuing a cat from a kill shelter saves it's life, and often times getting a kitten from the paper saves it from being set free, killed directly, or given to a kill shelter. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I've heard. One lady that I was talking to at the laundromat one time was telling me that her husband was mad at her because she came home from shopping with a new puppy. As she was leaving Wal-Mart, she saw a little boy crying as his daddy was telling him, "I told you that if we didn't get rid of all the puppies we were going to drown them." She asked the little boy which one was his favorite, and went home with it.

Adopting from a no kill shelter may open up a space that will be filled by another kitten rescued from a kill shelter, or it may not. Adopting directly from a kill shelter means that you KNOW you saved your new pets life.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004

Last edited by corgimom; 08-29-2006 at 09:18 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I would probably adopt from the human society because I know that free kittens go much faster than kittens you have to pay for. Kittens in general go quickly so I would adopt an adult cat because they are less "attractive" than kittens and I would know their personality when they are an adult cat.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmyasp
not all kittens advertised in the newspapers are free

generally from SPCA kittens do cost more $$$, but here, they are de-sexed, flea and worm treated, and had first injections

True. However, the humane societies that I have been to only deworm and deflea if you get a kitten and just for that they charge you $75, then they charge you $50 and tell you that you can't have it back until the kitten is fixed. Plus, you have to wait at least 3 days to be "approved." No offense, but I think some shelters are really outrageous in their methods and prices. Honestly, don't you think if I went to the humane society looking for a pet and was willing to pay their outrageous prices that I was not going to just take the animal and kill it or get rid of it. They make you fill out tons of ridiculous forms and answer a lot of dumb questions. They ought to just say "thank you so much for helping us out by giving an animal a good home. Our fee is ---- because that is how much it cost us to deworm, deflea, etc... and here is your grateful little furball " See, now wouldn't that make it sound like their more interested in finding the animals good home rather than just making you suffer while waiting to see if somebody else was more "qualified" than you to take the animal of you dreams???

Anyways, I'll quite blabbing and continue listening.(sorry, once I start, it's hard to stop )
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I do agree with that but I have never adopted from a shelter though I am going to start once we have more room and more money to adopt and take care of the animal properly.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Naked Dog Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortieBaby
No offense, but I think some shelters are really outrageous in their methods and prices.

I totally agree. My fiance's mom had an italian greyhound when he was growing up that they had to put to sleep when it got elderly because it was blind, deaf, and got freaked out easily because of it. She's been trying to adopt another italian greyhound for awhile now (6 months to a year, I think?) and the italian greyhound rescue won't give her one because her entire huge yard is not fenced. She went through the trouble of getting a HUGE outdoor fenced kennel-type thing (probably about 8' x 8' in size) because she knew the place wanted a fence in yard, even though it's too hot in Louisiana to leave a dog that delicate outside for long. Had her father and one of her brothers bring it over and set it up for her. And the rescue said it wasn't good enough. How much space does a dog that small need if they are going to be an INDOOR dog that uses it's outdoor pen for a few hours of exercise each day? She's just completely heartbroken over it. She's the type of person who has always had rescue dogs. Even if she didn't like the breed, she'd take a dog as a foster if she knew someone was mistreating it or was trying to find it a home or set it free until she could find a good home for it. And then a rescue group comes along and tells her that she's not good enough for her favorite breed of all time and they won't give her one.

sorry, end of rant. It just amazes me how picky some rescues can be.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I agree. Although not all humane societies are like that and I would in no way put down their efforts because they do help a lot of animals. Just some of them are bad.

Tags
humane society, litter box, local humane society