Hungry Kitties w/full bellies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Hungry Kitties w/full bellies

Ok, sorry to bring the whole pooping thing up again, but I'm not sure how worried I should be. So far I've gotten 1 pee and poo out of the grey kitty, 1 pee out of black kitty, and one unidentifiable pee. It's starting to get to the point though where their bellies still feel pretty full at feeding time. I've been feeding them about every 5-6 hours (little longer at night), should I feed them less often until they are regular poopers, or just keep on schedual and see what happens? I've still been wiping them with damp cotton balls, just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:58 AM

I am not sure of which way you should go with that. Deja, jade, or Dena might know.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:08 PM

Well there could be a couple of things. If the kittens are playful and alert and eating regularly and you notice that their bellies are "full" check to see if the bellies feel hard. If they are very round and hard it could be a sign of worms which is extremely common in cats born outdoors. All that needs is a couple doses of strongid 10 days apart (will probably need to get that from your vet). It could also mean that the kitten is having trouble relieving itself due to a birth defect that causes the sphincter not to attach to the intestines, I have seen this also several times but the kittens are usually very lethargic and do not eat as much. And then it could just be that they are fat and happy and finally getting nutrition that they need and just haven't needed to eliminate yet. Just make sure that the stools are little formed pellets and not diarreah. To be on the safe side I would take a stool sample into the vet and find out if they have any type of parasites like roundworm, tapeworm, coccidia, guiardia, whip worm and the like. Don't fret though these things are curable with some time and a little medicine. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

What about adding a little castor oil to the formula? Maybe he's really constipated and needs a little extra help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:40 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

I wish I could get a hold of my best friend - they raised a baby from birth, but I don't recall her ever saying how often he pottied. I do know that he was named Buddah Belly because his belly would be so round after he ate ...
I also for the life of me can't remember when we rescued Lizzie and her sibs ... I'm not sure how often they went..

Lotta freakin' help I am, huh ?

Sharon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 05:36 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm with Dena on the worm issue. When I read your description of their bellies it's what occured to me, as most "strays" are born with them.
Dena, if they aren't eating solids yet and are still being dropper fed formula - would their poop be formed? Or more like toothpaste? (not meaning to get too gross here with poop descriptions)
Sometimes without any "bulk" to the stool there just isn't enough pressure on the rectum to stimulate evacuation.
As to the remedy? I'm no help at all
I may be totally wrong here but I'd think they should at least be passing urine more than once since you've had them? It's obvious they are getting enough liquid intake.... I don't know... just something that came to mind.
What Dena said, again, makes a lot of sense. They could be just fat 'n happy and their bodies are absorbing all that nutrition they were lacking for who knows how long.

I wish I could be of some help! This must be stressful for you.

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts! Hang in there Becki , it sounds like you are working so hard and doing everything in your power to give these little guys a great start.

[center]

[
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 01:18 PM

suggestion

You might try adding a little baby rice cereal to what you are feeding them, to add a little fiber and bulk. If you decide to try this, use just a little the first time, then increase it a little bit each time until it is the consistency of regular baby food.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 01:57 PM

Becki, I don't know about raising kitties but I hand raised 4 puppies from birth and they pottied (with help from me) every time I fed them. Just thought I would mention it....I don't know if cats & dogs are the same in this...

Good luck girlie...keep up the good work!