I can't take it anymore!!- Chewing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I can't take it anymore!!- Chewing

Argh!
I'm at my wits end. I have NOTHING in my home that doesn't have a hole in it!

My boy Mojo is just about a year old. His chewing started with wool (surprise surprise) and now it's fleece, cotton, socks, velux blankets, and even plain ole t-shirts. I TRY to keep everything out of reach and put away, but it's SO hard.

I think most of the chewing happens when I'm at work, while I'm away for the weekend or while I'm sleeping which leads me to beleive it's more of a behavioral issue (not enough attention?) than it is anything else.

What do you think?

I've been thinking about getting a second cat to keep him occupied a bit more, as I can't wake up in the middle of the night or leave work to play with him.

What do you think? Do you think a second cat would help? Are there any other solutions? Any other reasons he might be chewing?

Help! I'm tired of having to replace everything!

Thanks,
Kari and Mojo Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm not familiar with this problem myself but I found this great page for info:

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00026.htm

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Part of the Pack

Does he have lots of toys and cat-scratching pads? How long has this been going on for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I have a cat who is a wool eater and I have to say that when you go to people for help, it seems everyone has 101 things for you to try and then some, but the only thing that has worked for me is simply keeping the things my cat wants to chew out of her reach.

There is an actual LOCK on my closet to keep her from getting to my wool.

I know it's very difficult, but it's the only thing that I find to "work," per se.

I tried the Feliway plug-in to no avail, a food change that incorporated more fibre into her diet and later on ANOTHER food change to a more holistic food. The more holistic food has lessened the problem SOME, but not enough that I would call it a "cure."

When Gerona started, she was 5 months old and the only cat. However, when she was 6 months old I recieved another kitten (Galina) and this didn't help the problem. At first I thought it COULD be sepeation anxiety on her part since she did do most of the chewing while I was away. However, after moving to Finland and me staying home all the time, the problem continued, which means it was not separation anxiety. Some cats, IMO, simply like to eat and suckle wool.

So, while it's really crummy advice, the only thing I can recommend is keep the things your cat wants to chew and eat OUT of his access. Buy covered and lockable laundry bins, be fastidous about always putting dirty clothes in the laundry bin and clean clothes in the closet. NEVER leave any of it out! If he chews on blankets, either lock the room the blanket is in when you're gone or buy a plastic bin to keep the blankets in when you're not using them.

It takes a lot of work and effort at first to make sure everything is kept "locked away," but once you formulate a system, it's easy.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummie
Does he have lots of toys and cat-scratching pads? How long has this been going on for?
He has toys, he has scratching pads. I have toy mice and balls, and mice on elastic that hangs from the doors.

It's been going on pretty much since he was a kitten.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
I have a cat who is a wool eater and I have to say that when you go to people for help, it seems everyone has 101 things for you to try and then some, but the only thing that has worked for me is simply keeping the things my cat wants to chew out of her reach.

There is an actual LOCK on my closet to keep her from getting to my wool.
It's not just wool though - I think he got to all of that before I even knew what was going on and most of it has been thrown out.

He loves beans and vegetables so I try to give him some as often as I can, so I wouldn't suspect that he needs more fiber (unless he REALLY needs alot of fiber!).

I've been trying SO hard to keep things out of his reach, but he always manages to find something, maybe a stray sock onthe floor, the bathroom rug, kitchen towel. ANYTHING.

I read one site that recommended PULLING OUT all the cats molars and pre-molars and HOLY COW that sounds like a very, very drastic move.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Part of the Pack

Was he taken away from the mother at a young age?
Although sometimes getting a companion could help the problem thats not always the case. I got another cat for my cat Simba because he was extremely aggressive with everybody but especially to me. It did help the problem in my case but now he bothers the other cat. She fights with him too so they are both even.
If you really want another cat, then you should think about getting one but if you're just getting it to fix your cat's problems, I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck

My babies...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_simb
Was he taken away from the mother at a young age?
I don't know when he was taken away from his mother. I was told he was 8 weeks old when I got him.

He is also VERY aggressive and a couple months after I got him, his vet recommended another cat as a good way to calm down his behavior. He was about to get fixed so I figured I'd hold off a bit and see if he calmed down at all.

He has calmed down some, but he's still pretty agressive (he really hates being told No and will attack me if I tell him no. It's kind of funny really.)

Most of me would like another cat, but I also know that it's a big commitment so I don't want to do something I might regret. But on the other hand - two cats aren't really any more trouble than one cat - until it comes to vet bills.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I don't know if you'll be willing to try this or not, but I have a 7 month old kitten who can be very destrcutive. Because of it he is not allowed to roam that house when we aren't home. Our laundry is a fair size so he goes in there..it's his own little bedroom. His cat tree is in their, his toys, his food and water bowl, and his litter tray. There is a window in the laundry too so he can also see out. When we're home he is with us, when we're out, he is in the laundry. He doesn't mind it at all. In fact when we tell the dogs to go to bed Milko (kitten) runs out with them, into the laundry and on top of his cat tree. He knows that he isn't allowed out when we're not home and it saves our house from being killed by the cat. As long as you take the time to interact with the cat when you are home I really don't see a problem with it at all. For our cat it's for his safety too. When we are home he has managed to get himself down behind one of our cabinets and not been able to get back out. He really freaks out and I'd hate to think what damage he'd do to himself if he got down behind there when no one was home to let him out.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:15 PM

I agree with rsbunny. But if you dont have a laundry i have heard of people who have "kennel" trained thier cats. but the kennels were more like two level cages. That way they had room to climb and didnt feel cramped and it could be placed infront of a window.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 08:38 AM

I have the same problem! I never knew cats did this! Scooter usually does it if we are gone a lot during the day or over a weekend, so I think its behavioral. I guess I would rather have him chew things than spray...lol. It is very frustrating though. I just try my best to keep things put away when I am not home. Let me know if you get anymore info.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Part of the Pack

We had a cat that did that once at the shelter. It was cute but I guess it would turn annoying once he got home. He never did it on his blankets just to the shirts of people holding him. He was taken from his mother at a really young age so that problem came after that.

My babies...

Tags
level cage, litter tray, water bowl