I don't know what to do. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy I don't know what to do.

I've had my cat, Wendy, since I was 4 years old. My first memory was of my parents bringing her home. I'm nearly 19 now.

She has always been a healthy cat, but then last night she started limping and crying out in pain. Took her to the emergency vet clinic, and apparently she's suffering from heart disease. She has a blood clot in her leg. The vet asked if we wanted her euthanized, of course we said no. She's home now and on medication, but she refuses to eat or drink. I'm so scared she's going to die. She's been a part of my life since I can first remember, I don't want her to disappear from my life.

I'm not an emotional guy, the last time I cried I was 12. When I came home from school, she would always be at the door waiting for me, and then she would follow me around, and then whenever I sat down to watch TV or go on the computer, she would curl up beside me and sleep. I love that cat so much, and it pains me to see her in pain. She's still happy, she still purrs when I pet and comfort her, she still has all her mannerisms.

Does anyone have any similar experience? What happened?
I don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

She's your little kitty soul-mate.

You can try offering her fish-flavored canned cat food. I've read if a cat doesn't want to eat, to offer them a stinky sort of food. And canned food is good because it's the type of food they were designed to eat - plus, as cats don't consume much water, canned food puts water into their system and moves things through their digestive tract a lot easier. As is, cats concentrate their urine; but they have to concentrate it even further when they're eating dry food. Canned food just allows things to move through their systems a little more easily.

So yeah.. my suggestion would be to offer her fish-flavored canned food. I wish you and her luck!

Edit: Oh; and if you're that worried about her not drinking, I've read you can also offer chicken broth, and they're usually more interested in drinking that, rather than water. But that's not something you'd want to have available all the time due to the obvious reasons..like salt. But first and foremost, the canned food.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Newborn Pup

Poor Kitty

The best thing you can do is to give her lots of love and spend some time with her. You could also try some human tuna. Sometimes they like the juice from that. My cats do. I hope she gets better. Lots of prayers to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello Earthling

The best thing to do would be give her the best last days. Spend lots of time with her, offer her boiled chicken, and chicken hearts some canned tuna etc...

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 10:34 AM
the rodent lover<3

Aww!
Something similar happened to my neighbors cat Savon (Or Sayvon.. I never knew the exact spelling )

He was 16 years old. My neighbor was going to florida for a surgery and she said when she left he was droopy and tired. About 3 months later my neighbor called the vet because it wasn't improving, just getting worse. So he called them and they came out here. They said he had a heart problem, or something, no one really told me. He was euthanized shortly after.. i'm very emotional, so I cried.

Offer her lots of treats and different things to make her really happy She'll appreciate it

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

She finally drank this morning. I'm so happy. So now I'll hopefully have more time with her.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 PM
can't think of one, help

Use the time to say goodbye and make her last days comfy and secure. So sorry

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to try force feeding her tomorrow using a syringe and wet cat food.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Why don't you see if she'll eat the canned food on her own, first?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Hello Earthling

I would not suggest force feeding her your self. You could end up doing more harm then good.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Why don't you see if she'll eat the canned food on her own, first?
I've tried. I've given her tuna and everything, she still refuses to eat. That's why I need to get some syringes and force feed her. She won't eat if she's uncomfortable, and she won't get better unless she eats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
I would not suggest force feeding her your self. You could end up doing more harm then good.
I have both my parents.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:04 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor little girl, can't imagine myself on your situation right now. Sending hugs and vibes for both of you. She seemed pretty old enough and its sad but her time might be coming. Crossing fingers for her recovery, maybe all you can do aside from medication is to spoil her with anything she wants that you know. Maybe it's time for her to feel and eat anything that she really love even it's not much help on her situation.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Newborn Pup

Be a little careful

Just be careful with the force feeding. If a cat doesn't eat, there usually is a reason. Like someone else said, it might hurt more to do that. If she drank, that is a great sign. Give her lots of love mainly.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Hello Earthling

What I meant was only an experienced person should try force feeding meaning you alone or with your parents should not try force feeding her.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM
can't think of one, help

I wouldn't force feed her either. I think she's trying to tell you that she's ready to go to the bridge. As hard as it is, we have to let them go. Its the final act of love to let them go to be free from their pain.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)

Tags
blood clot, cat, pain