I Got A Problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

I Got A Problem

My one year old hunter has diarrhea. He has a sensitive tummy but I can't figure what he ate except that the other cats are fed a different brand of food but I haven't seen him touch that. I know the easiet way to get rid of it is give no food or water for an 8 hour period. My question is he is a long haired tabby/maine coon mix and his bottom is all gross. Do you think I could give him a bath or would that cause more issues? I am trying to keep the area clean but he really needs a bath in my opinion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Could you just wipe it with a wet wash cloth? It would be easier then trying to give him a bath.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

awww the poor sweety...if you are concerned then maybe call the vet, I know when my cat used to get diarhea we didn't take her water away cause she was loosing to much fluid with the tummy problems, but if its been going on for a bit maybe just call the vet and see what they say? Mama was long haired and so we used a damp paper towel to clean it...I hope he feels better really soon

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 03:48 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

awww the poor sweety...if you are concerned then maybe call the vet, I know when my cat used to get diarhea we didn't take her water away cause she was loosing to much fluid with the tummy problems, but if its been going on for a bit maybe just call the vet and see what they say? Mama was long haired and so we used a damp paper towel to clean it...I hope he feels better really soon

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:13 AM

I wouldn't deprive any living thing of water that has diarrhea as it makes them dehydrated as it is!

Might be worth ringing your vet and seeing if it's safe to give him the type of rehydrating suspensions that you give to humans to stop diarrhea. You'll need to know if it's safe, what brand and how much to give.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I definatly wouldn't take his water away, you don't want him to get dehydrated.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

My vet suggested that I not give him any food or water for a 8 hour period because drinking water and eating food would only cause his tummy to act up more thus causing more diarrhea. This morning Hunter was diarrhea free. No problem what so ever. If he had diarrhea for more then a day or so I wouldn't suggest doing that but it had just started yesterday afternoon. No need to worry He is better now!

Tags
maine coon