I need advice on cat food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I need advice on cat food

My dad, being the only adult in this house, is in charge of buying cat food. He gives them Meow Mix, and the main ingredient is corn, and I've already told him how bad this is for our kitties' digestive systems and how we need to get a new cat food. I've also tried to get him to switch to wet but he is positively set on the idea of dry food. I've been buying my own cans of B.G. when I can, but I don't have much of an allowance.
I've brought him to pet stores and we've looked at Felidae and Inova Evo and B.G. and all those acceptable cat foods, but they are (understandably) too expensive for us. We need a dry cat food that isn't ridiculously overpriced but is semi-healthy. Any suggestions? The most he'll pay for cat food, he says, is a dollar per pound.

Two cats, a dog, thirteen hermit crabs, seven mice (and babies), four African soft fur rats (and babies), two fiddler crabs, five assorted fishies, a mystery snail, an African clawed frog, a corn snake, a ball python, a California king snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:25 AM

It's hard to find cheap good food, Inova and Felidae are good products, so are Solid Gold, Wellness and natural Balance, but for higher quality food, you pay the price.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Hello Earthling

Look for anything that contains minimal or no grains and meat instead of by-products. More expensive food is actually cheaper in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM

I would not feed the cat any dry food. Its garbage! You're better off feeding a lower grade wet food. Just check the label, look for the first 3 or 4 ingredients, to be meat, water, or broth. By-products aren't necessarily a bad thing, their just parts of the aminal people don't eat.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 PM

the very best food is "royal canin" wellness ect. all have some fruits ect. that are not so great for cats. as one other person said here, cheap foods are not the good ones. sad but true. as well as the litters, clays are bad, "worlds best cat litter" is made from corn and is the safest one that is made. not cheap either :-) it comes in dry and wet. wet is best because cats don't get enough moisture in their little bodies. some cats won't eat wet, they love dry as my kitty does so, i give her dry in the morning and a little wet food at noon and eight pm. all dry foods give them too much carbs too! :-)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah View Post
the very best food is "royal canin" wellness ect. all have some fruits ect. that are not so great for cats. as one other person said here, cheap foods are not the good ones. sad but true. as well as the litters, clays are bad, "worlds best cat litter" is made from corn and is the safest one that is made. not cheap either :-) it comes in dry and wet. wet is best because cats don't get enough moisture in their little bodies. some cats won't eat wet, they love dry as my kitty does so, i give her dry in the morning and a little wet food at noon and eight pm. all dry foods give them too much carbs too! :-)
I would just like to say that Royal Canin is not actually the best food.

I found the ingredients in a search:

Chicken meal, brown rice, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken fat, dried egg powder, natural flavors, wheat gluten, dried beet pulp, L-lysine, anchovy oil (source of EPA and DHA omega 3 essential fatty acids), sodium silico aluminate (zeolite), dried brewers yeast, soybean oil, pea fiber, calcium carbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides, potassium chloride, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate, brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), choline chloride, taurine, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], marigold extract (source of lutein), trace minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], L-carnitine, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract.

Corn is very high in the ingredients. Cat can't digest corn.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 AM
I am allergic to maths

I dont know if this is true but when my cat needed a change in food I found out that royal canin was origanally intended for dogs but some of the ingrideints had bad effects on their sytems, I dont have a clue if this is true and its american so I dont have experience with it but I thought id share, anyone correct me if im wrong, I would like to be more accurate if anyone asks me for advice, thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I know to watch out for by-products and grains and such. And to Theschmouse: many bad things are allowed under the name "by-products." Meat that's gone bad, including the foam packaging, euthenized dogs and cats, collars included, etc. Not stuff I want my cats eating.

I've tried to convince my dad about wet food but of course, he's looking for convenience and cost, not so much the cat's wellbeing. He loves them and all, but... Fortunately he's agreed to supplement their dry diet with wet food, we just bought some today, actually. I'm lucky he's letting me influence his cat food choices at all. So far, the best food I've found that we can afford is Purina. I know, trash, but it's not as much of trash as, say, Meow Mix. It has less corn and by-products than other options.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Two cats, a dog, thirteen hermit crabs, seven mice (and babies), four African soft fur rats (and babies), two fiddler crabs, five assorted fishies, a mystery snail, an African clawed frog, a corn snake, a ball python, a California king snake
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I am allergic to maths

Acctually purina is quite decent, it could be alot better but its not too bad. We have whiskas, yeah its not the best but its all he will eat apart from cesar dog food, and it is decent too, we will pay whatever the cost but if my cat wont eat it... anyone know any good cat foods in the uk?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I used to give my cats Goodlife recipe, but i have recently switched to friskies and my cats love it. Every once in a while I give them canned food, the kind with veggies, as a treat. And I always have treats on hand!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
cat food