I really need help with cat nutrition - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation I really need help with cat nutrition

So a friend of mine was driving to work yesterday when some misserable person threw this little kitten out of their running car !!!
I went and got her, shes the sweetest thing ever, she loves to cuddle and gives kisses, no fleas, ticks or broken bones, which considering what they did to her its very surprising. Anyways, so shes really skin and bones, i was wondering if anyone knows about a Diet i can put her on so she will gain weight healthy and it wont hurt her.
My daughter (4 years old) is a little twillight freak lol so she called her Bella ( our other cats are Jasper and Alice )
I tried posting a picture but sence im new i cant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Hello Earthling

I can't give you a brand of food since all the foster kittens are fed IMAS, which really isn't the best food and I would not recommended it to owners.

When your looking for food do not get anything with corn as the first ingredient.

Boiled chicken is great for them and they love it along with boiled chicken hearts every now and then.

Cat up to a year should be fed kitten food not adult.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've never really owned a cat, but I did a little research, hopefully this will help :

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/kittens.html

It's all about kittens, not cats [well, that page is]
Quote:
Diet is extremely important in the growing months of a cat's life, and there are two important criteria that should be met in selecting food for your kitten. We recommend a NAME-BRAND FOOD made by a national cat food company (not a generic or local brand), and a form of food MADE FOR KITTENS. This should be fed until your kitten is about 12 months of age. We recommend that you only buy food which has the AAFCO certification. Usually, you can find this information very easily on the label. AAFCO is an organization which oversees the entire pet food industry. They do not endorse any particular food, but it will certify that the food has met the minimum requirements for nutrition. Most of the commercial pet foods will have the AAFCO label. Generic brands often do not have it. In Canada, look for foods approved by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA).

Feeding a dry, canned, or semi-moist form of cat food is acceptable. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Dry food is definitely the most inexpensive. It can be left in the cat's bowl at all times. If given the choice, the average cat will eat a mouthful of food about 12-20 times per day. The good brands of dry food are just as nutritious as the other forms. As a rule, most veterinarians will recommend dry food for your kitten.

Semi-moist and canned foods are also acceptable. But both are considerably more expensive than dry food. They often are more appealing to the cat's taste; they are not more nutritious. If you feed a very tasty food, you are running the risk of creating a cat with a finicky appetite. In addition, the semi-moist foods are high in sugar which may lead to diabetes.

Table foods are not recommended. Because they are generally very tasty, cats will often begin to hold out for these and not eat their well-balanced cat food. If you choose to give your kitten table food, be sure that at least 90% of his diet is good quality commercial kitten food. People enjoy a variety of things to eat in our diet. Most cats actually prefer not to change from one food to another unless they are trained to do so by the way you feed them. Do not feel guilty if your cat is happy to just eat one food day after day, week after week.

Commercials for cat food can be very misleading. If you watch carefully you will notice that commercials promote cat food on one basis: TASTE. Nutrition is rarely mentioned. Most of the "gourmet" foods are marketed to appeal to guardians who want the best for their cats; they do not offer the cat any nutritional advantage over a good quality dry food, and they are far more expensive. If your cat eats a gourmet food very long, he will probably not be happy with other foods. If he needs a special diet due to a health problem later in life, he is very unlikely to accept it. Hence, we do not encourage feeding gourmet cat foods.
I hope that helped some. I feel so bad for the little guy ;(. Thank god you all got him.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Hello Earthling

The best food the both cats and kittens are foods that are more meat based (animal protein). Plant protein really does not do anything for the cat or kitten. Sure they can survive on plant protein but they are better with animal protein, which is way I suggested also offering them boiled chicken and hearts.

I have also found that sick kittens seem to do better when they are offered boiled chicken, they seem to be stronger and thus more able to fight their illness.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Go buy food at a pet shop and not the grocery store, and that would already be a nice start, because at a pet shop people know more about the food than grocery people. And most grocery stores sell things like whiskas which is actually not very good food.

Make sure you buy kitten food, it will have more protein and nutrients for healthy growth. Also I'd say that along with dry food you give a little wet food, maybe a tablespoon twice a day. Wet food also helps to hydrate.

Also, isolate that kitten from your other cats if possible until you get it checked at the vet. Since you don't really know why it's skinny, it may be sick, you never know!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 PM

I would first start by putting out a dish of dry food, kitten formula. I believe the kitten chow is what my cats all loved, they hated other formulas. Also, try maybe one can a day of kitten wet food, like fancy feast or something. Some pet stores also have a vitamin spray you can spray on their food you can add to that one can of wet food a day. Start slow because you don't want the kitten to get sick. But definitely put out a dish of the kitten chow for a few hours each day in a spot where she can find the dish and eat as she pleases. They generally don't eat tons of dry food all at once, it's the wet food they will eat until they explode (if you let them). If you are worried enough I would just ask your local vet what to give her, although what they tell you will probably be quite expensive. I suggest trying the kitten chow out for a bit....

PS- I've raised like 20+ cats so far in my life, one of which was born with distemper and his digestive system wouldn't even keep down his mothers milk after birth, and alas he lived because of my resourcefullness and persistence. He is still with us today, over 6 years later and aside from the way he walks due to the distemper, he's as healthy as a cat could be.

Last edited by BlueFairy07; 07-25-2009 at 01:33 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Hello Earthling

Stay away from Fancy Feast, Meow Mix etc... feeding those food is like you eating junk food.

They wi usually stop eating once they are full. They won't keep eating and eating.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Playful Pup

Hi there Yes, try to stay away from moist food, Whiskas in cans etc. My cat got serious kidney problems due to them and died. It`s a good thing to teach them to eat dry food. And remember, no human milk, only water to drink

Good luck.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

any brand you get at grocery stores are exactly like eating mcdonalds. If you give your cat whiskas, and then switch to food that's actually good for them, they WILL pretend they don't like it and not eat for 2 days so they get the whiskas back. It's like you feeding a child mcdonalds everyday, and then getting them to eat salad.
The cat will not let itself die of hunger, and once it sees that the food is not changing back, it will eat the good stuff!
There are some very good quality wet foods out there, almonature is amazing and if you read the list of ingredients, it sounds good enough for a human to eat!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 PM

Dustette, are you sure about "The cat will not let itself die of hunger, and once it sees that the food is not changing back, it will eat the good stuff!" ? My Maia hasn't been eating hardly at all and so far has lost almost half her total body weight. I just put a can of tuna by where she is "hiding" nd she only licked at it for a few seconds and went back into hiding. I had her to the vet 3 times since the beginning of July and he doesn't know what to do anymore. I'm taking her to a new vet Friday (the soonest I could get her in) I am at my wits end and have no idea what to do for her anymore.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Hello Earthling

A cat will not starve it's self to death. It there is food there the cat eat it, it may just take time. No animal will starve it's self in less
something is wrong.

Have you had your cat tested? Blood, fecal, urine etc...? There is something that is making your cat sick, it's not starving it's self.

Does it have a runny nose and/or eyes? Sneezing? Etc...?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 PM

She has been to the vet 3 times since July through a round of meds for intestinal issues, and he doesn't know what to do now, so it's off to another vet for a second opinion

She has only had bloodwork done no other tests. She was on prednisone and metronidizole liquid.

Last edited by MaiasmomJK; 09-09-2009 at 11:12 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

yes like canadian critter said, a cat will not let itself starve to death IF it is healthy otherwise.

I think a second opinion is a wise choice

Tags
cat, diet