I want a Bengal! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I want a Bengal!

Howdy everyone,

It's been a while since I've been to the forums and I'm sorry if you missed me! :-P

Anyways, I usually don't really like cats that much, I mean they seem aloof and lazy to me, but a few weeks ago a co-worker started telling me about Bengal Cats. I started reading up on them and they seem sooooooo cool. They are much more like a dog then your typical housecat. Well, by the grace of God I was reading through the American Classifieds and found an ad for Bengal kittens for $50. I couldn't believe it because Bengals usually sell for $500-$800. I told my co-worker about it and she called the lady selling them.

The lady said that the whole litter had allergies (eye boogers, sneezing, chest congestion) and she didn't feel right selling sick kittens so she was just giving them away. We met her at a truckstop (she lives out in the country and we'd get lost trying to find her house) and we started playing with the kittens. After about an hour my co-worker picks one out and we took Little Pluto to the vet. Our vet told us not to call him a bengal, because Bengals are considered to be wild animals in this area and he isn't supposed to treat them.

To make a long story a bit shorter, vet did all of the vet things, and Pluto was a little trooper. He never got hissy and the claws never got out. After the shots and blood tests, he would just run over to Maria (co-worker) or myself and snuggle up to us as close as possible.

He also loves to climb up on my shoulder's and watch the world go by from his perch. On the way home he fell asleep in my hat, and I fell in love with him.

Now I am just hoping that Maria's dogs don't get along with Pluto so I can have him!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

if i am correct most of them end up being in shelters, etc becuase people dont realize what they are getting into when they get this wild animal.
i have heard they have nasty temperments, and you can never believe what you hear about them online. please be 100% sure its what you are wanting. think of all the damage it can cause to your house, and you and possibly your children. im not saying these are monster cats, but i know there wild animals and in no way are full domesticated or predictable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I wish I could find one in a shelter. The adult Bengals that the lady had were really sweet. They are way removed from the usual F3 or F4's so they don't have that much wild blood running through them.

I don't have any kids, not for a long time, and I live alone in a decent sized apartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My mom has a Bengal cat and he is super smart. He knows how to turn light switches on and off, open cupboard doors, turn doorknobs, ect. The only problem that she has with him is his almost constant meowing. It can be very annoying if you don't learn to block it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Playful Pup

...that's really wierd that you mentioned Bengal cats.
Just recently I've really gotten into cats & those were one of the very first breeds that really got my attention.
So yeah, basically what I'm tryna say is that I think it'd be really cool to have one too... lol

My Pets:

[[2 dogs]] Snickers [mine] & Skooter [my mom's]

[[3 fish]] Peppermint, Periwinkle, & Peach Fuzz

[[1 Hamster]] Marshmallow

[[4 gerbils]] Basil & Paris [my pretty girls] and Posh & Buddy [my crazy men] =P

[[RIP]]

x Opal, Serena, Kiera, & Myles.
I love you all so much! You guys were awesome Gerbs. =(
I hope you're back together & having fun like you used to!

x Diablo (July 4th 1995 - Jan 15 2007)
I love you too Bobo! It hurts me so bad to know the pain you went through your last few months!

To all of you; my love. <33
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 06:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS on your new addition...how is he doing? I hope you have done your research and know what your getting into!

Do you have any pictures of him??

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

Congrats on your new purchase. How is he doing? I am happy for your new pet but please beware, My husband & I purchased a Bengal from a pet store and he was sick. We actually did not know this until we got home. The vet he found nothing wrong, but gave us some antibiotics, b/c he couldn't find anything wrong we could not return the animal. He was sneezing and coughing and managed to get my 2 other cats sick. Besides being ill we could not litter box train him and found him using our bed as a litter box. After about 3 stressful months we had to get rid of him.

Just read up on bengals and be patient. Luckly u have no other cats that can catch anything so u can just focus on him. Post some pics when u get a chance! Bengals are beautiful cats! My Envy is half bengal!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

oh have you gotten it already?
cant wait for pics!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

A little confusion

I don't have the Bengal. My co-worker was the lucky one that got him. I'm in the process of looking for one right now though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

my friend has a bengal cat. It is the most loving pet i've ever seen. he will not leave you alone one second, if he could get inside you to be closer he would. He certainly LOVES humans.

It gets kinda of annoying after a while
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Newborn Pup

Bengals are OK as pets if they are at least the fourth generation after being bred with the Asian Leopard cat. Earlier generations are still too wild to be good pets. I know of one household where an early-generation Bengal attacked and severly injured other cats in the home

Another breed that is more like a dog in a cat suit is the Abyssinian. They are quiet - seldom talk unless they really have something to say - and are very active, busy cats. The best part is they are very loving, overtly affectionate cats that become extremely attached to their family. Abys are the oldest known breed and are well domesticated.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

never heard of the breed but good luck on finding one!!!!

"Heres to the liars and the cheaters and the cold mistreaters, to the mamas boys who cant make a stand, heres to the superficial players the "i love ya" too-soon-sayers, if you hear me girls raise your hand, lets have a toast, heres to findin' a good man!"- Danielle Peck
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

oh I thought u already had one. opps!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy K
Another breed that is more like a dog in a cat suit is the Abyssinian. They are quiet - seldom talk unless they really have something to say - and are very active, busy cats. The best part is they are very loving, overtly affectionate cats that become extremely attached to their family. Abys are the oldest known breed and are well domesticated.
I always thought that Abyssinian cats were beautiful!

Well Envy is half bengal....lol! The other half is siamese.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Last year that was a couple in our area who were trying to rehome their bengals (brother and sister I believe) so we went to their house to check them out. We got there and there were scratches all over the walls and they were incredibly hyperactive. We ended up leaving without them and no one would adopt them so they ended up at the SPCA

They are beautiful but WOW can they be tempermental!! Of course it depends on each individual personality but this was my only experience with them.

Tags
litter box, pet store, wild animal, wild animals