I'm sad update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy I'm sad update

I phoned the vet this morning. He is still pushing for us to put Beau down. He has FIP. I have been researching for hours. I think I'm going to let my parents enjoy him until we feel that he needs to be put down. He certainly doesn't seem to be suffering at this point. He's just not ready to leave us yet. I'll keep a close eye on him and hope for the best. He'll let us know when the time is right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my cat had FIP and just so ya know there is no test to say for sure until the cat is dead...they strongly believed mamma had it so we treated it as if it was, after 3 years off loving and sweetness we had to put her down due to other complications...some cats live for many years with it, they can not be around other cats as it spreads through bodily fluids (litter boxes, water dishes and so much more)

I am so sorry your cat may have this, its hard to live knowing your kitty has a certain amount of time, just love him, and spoil him, I am glad hes with yuor parents so that hes seperated and you still get to see him

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

thank you for your assurance. my feelings are as you say. he could be with us for quite a while. he is very comfortable at my parent's. they will spoil him rotten, just as they should. he's a big, beautiful, loving boy that loves the attention. my dad isn't well, and has wanted a pet for quite some time. Beau, in this way is a blessing to him, too. He doesn't mind being left alone for a few hours while dad is at an appointment, plus he cuddles. his nails don't even come out! he LOVES tummy rubs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

It sounds like Beau is going to have a wonderful life. It's great that your dad can be home with him a lot. They can take care of each other.
Try not to worry too much like Carie said - he could live years! My boss has a cat that had cancer and was given 6 months to a year to live - that was about 6 years ago! I guesss no one told Annie she was sick. Beau can be the same way.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 PM

I don't know why they would think that your cat has FIP unless he was showing symptoms. Even if he was around other cats with it, it does not necessarily mean he will develop symptoms. He definitely would need to be an only cat and kept indoors but really those are the only precautions. FIP symptoms usually occur between the ages of birth and 1 year old and 10 years of age +. Some cats, that have been knowingly exposed, never show symptoms. There are even cat rescue groups that try to find homes for FIP + cats. I think that it is poor judgment for your vet to push for you to put him down without first actually witnessing symptoms. Symptoms also come on quickly and they are pretty bad, you would want to ease your cats pain at that point but why not let him be happy while he can. Pooy on your vet for saying to put him to sleep just to be on the safe side.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

The reason that Beau was tested is because of the congestion issue. Like I said, I was hoping for an allergy! I wish!! He was also moving VERY slowly and not playing very much, when Richard wanted to play, Beau would just lay down. So, I guess that is the signs he was looking at. The one thing that I told my parents to watch for is severe breathing. From what I have read, his lungs will continue to fill with liquid and breathing will be very difficult. That's when it will be time. 10 years from now! Is there anything else that anyone else knows of that we should be looking for that will cause him discomfort? His blood tests came back having 7 of the 10 factors of FIP, but since it grows in stages, the vet says that's normal. The other 3 may not show until it's time for him to go. He'll stay with my parents until the end. Mom called me at least 4 times today to tell me how much she and dad are enjoying him, how good he is about not scratching furnature, and that he likes to sleep in their bathtub! They love him already. Anyone would.

Last edited by laurieb; 02-21-2008 at 09:49 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:16 PM
can't think of one, help

I agree with everyone else, I think he should be allowed to enjoy life as long as he can.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I remember the vet saying our dog was doomed several times and he managed to pull through. That boy lived to be 16 years old with a pancreas problem that should have taken its toll ten years before. Animals are very resilient. What do you think they did before vets? I say, if they aren't in pain or dangerous, let them continue on the natural course. You could also seek another vet's opinion. Tests aren't always absolute and mistakes happen. I hope Beau continues to have a good outlook.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yea, don't worry. Beau is having a great time, so let him enjoy his life. And when he is still there 10 years from now, you can let that vet know. He was wrong! I'm glad Beau is able to enjoy the company of your parents. I'm sure he is going to have a happy and fun-filled future ahead of him!

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM

If his stomach area becomes abnormally swollen is the number one visual symptom that is associated with FIP. It is all of the fluid building up. Just because 7 out of 10 factors are showing towards FIP still does not necessarily mean FIP. It is a corona virus and the levels that they are looking at are associated with corona viruses. Mind you they cannot pinpoint which corona virus is which at this time and there are 22 of them (last time I researched this) so it could still be anything. Make sure the kitty is eating and drinking and keep checking to make sure his gums are pink.

Have they even attempted antibiotics? Clavomox is usually what is prescribed but I think it does diddly squat. You may suggest to your parents a second opinion from another vet and maybe try a new medication. I have seen some pretty bad "colds" that can effect cats to the point where they can die because they are so congested they can't smell to eat.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

We went to my parents to visit Beau today. I needed to trim his nails and take his scratch-rug to him. He's doing GREAT! They have him so spoiled already!! He sleeps bed with them. He lays between them on him back so they can rub his tummy! Mom said he stays there for hours! He's been watching the birds out the window. We don't have many here, but mom and dad have tons of birds, as they have been feeding them for years. He's eating all the time. He's drinking just fine. His tummy is round, but he is a BIG kitty (almost 17 pounds!). His breathing doesn't seem too bad. It certainly isn't getting worse. He sometimes rattles when he purrs. He LOVES his treats, and has been reminding mom to give him his "special kitty milk" every morning.

He is SO happy there. Even if I found out that the vet was wrong, I could never take him back. They are completely in love with this big boy! It's great to see mom and dad so happy with him, too. I don't know how long my dad will be around. He has so many illnesses, and mom takes care of him all the time. Beau is helping them both to be more relaxed and think of something else besides illnesses. He isn't acting sick at all, just slow, and that's a good thing for my parents!

I know this is long, but I feel so relieved about what just 3 days ago was a horrible tragedy!

Last edited by laurieb; 02-23-2008 at 09:46 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Part of the Pack

Here's hoping he has a continued long and happy life!

Pets are always your friend no matter what.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 PM

My experience with the FIP diagnosis was when they couldn't figure out any other diagnosis they decided on non-effusive FIP just because nothing else seemed to fit. I never had any testing done, just because as others have stated most cats are positive for some sort of corona virus.

I was also pushed heavily to euthanize right away when they decided on FIP; I think it comes from the devastating nature of the disease, if it truly is FIP. I find nothing wrong with exploring treatments as long as kitty is enjoying life. I even explored holistic treatments, which honestly seemed to work for my cat for a short while.

My thoughts are with you.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm glad everything worked out for the good. i was just thinking about little beau and it's good to see that he's living it up at your parent's house.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am glad its all working out and that he is bringing some happiness to your parents Sounds like its all going good...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
litter box, litter boxes