I'm writting a kitten article - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm writting a kitten article

Here it is:
Before you go out and add that cute little baby into the family, you need to know what responsibilities go to having a kitten in the family.

First, let's talk supplies. You're going to need MANY things before adopting that new bundle of fur.

Checklist:
Scratching post
(Sturdy enough so that it will not fall over, and tall enough so that the kitten can stretch out its back completely, throughout kitten hood to its adult size. )
Kitten Food
A water bowl and food bowl
A cat bed
A blanket with your scent (optional)
A "playpen"(optional)
A small litter box
A few toys
Grooming Supplies
Carrier for the Vet

Now that you know what supplies you are going to get, you need to ask yourself a few questions:

Will I be able to socialize the new kitten in public during its first few months?

Kittens need to be able to know a few different environments. It’s important you kitten knows how to handle children, and other animals. Cats do not need as much socialization as dogs, but cats still need to be socialized in order to be well adjusted, relaxed animals. Many people think a cat can just be put in the household, with attention and supplies, and there isn't much else to do. This is incorrect. I took my kitten Princess to parks, different houses, in the yard, and to different social outings. She met dogs, and young children. Now she is able to be relaxed around anyone, and she is very well mannered.

Will I be able to afford all the expenses to having a kitten?

A kitten will need to go to the vet, have lots of supplies bought for it, not to mention things that need to be purchased often, such a litter, and food.

Can I accept the fact my kitten will most likely make a mess?

Kittens make messes. They are just like children. If they have litter refusal, they might pee on your furniture, or carpet. They might scratch your couch, or other belongings. They could possibly be sick, and throw up on your carpet. They could track litter around the house.

What will I do if my kitten doesn't get along with a pet or human family member?

You will most likely run into this problem. Will you know what to do?

Am I willing to kitten proof my house?
Some people aren't. You will need to tuck away cords, clean up the house, put locks on cabinets, and put away sharp objects.

If you are sure you want a kitten, then here are the proper steps:

After completing adoption, take the kitten home in the car. During the car ride, put the kitten in a carrier, or in a pouch, so she/he is secured safely.

When you arrive home, put your kitten in a small room, (I used the bathroom) big enough to carry all her things, but small enough to be proper quarantine.
Make sure she is comfortable, and leave the room. Try to ignore your kitten's sad cries, even if it is difficult. Visit your kitten at least an hour a day. Your kitten must stay in the room for two days.

After quarantine, you can allow you cat to walk around the house. Make sure your house is now kitten proof. Their are many dangers for the little baby. You can use a kitten pen, or a large basket, too put your kitten in. Make sure she can't get out.

Your kitten can be introduced to other animals after a week. Try not to introduce too much at one time.

Make sure to give your kitten lots of good experiences.

Love that baby! Good luck!

What do you think? I put summited it, and it said "Invaild file". Why? What needs to be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 07:05 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygirl109
What do you think? I put summited it, and it said "Invaild file". Why? What needs to be done?
What do you mean? Do you mean you submitted it to the PawTalk articles section?

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Did you use an icon? You have to use an icon and one that is not a GIF file (it's a glitch in the system, the designer is working on it). It must be under 100 x 100 pixels in size.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No, I didn't use an icon. I just don't get it...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You must use an icon to submit an article. A picture of one of your cats will do just fine.

Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh...Okay. When I get home, I'll try to use one. I hope I have one small enough...

Tags
food bowl, kitten food, litter box, water bowl