Indoor vs Outdoors cats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Indoor vs Outdoors cats

I recently took in a stray cat. I was with my room mate one night and she just walked into my apartment. She was pregnant and roaming around, i had seen her before, and i live near a very busy road. I didnt find any lost signs and nobody was looking for her. She is very young, and the kittens didnt make it, i took her and them to the vet but she wasnt taking care of them and it was too late. Anyways, she is an indoor cat now. She doesnt try to get outside, but I feel awful when she sits looking out the window. I know it must be hard for her since she roamed free before I took her in but like i said, I live near such a busy road and I dont feel right about letting her outside. I am going to get her a harness so she can roam around our back yard, and its big, but everyone keeps telling me i should let her roam outside. I do not agree with this and I will be keeping her as an indoor kitty. I see lots of dead cats on that road and I do not want her to be one of them. Am I wrong in doing this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
is a little "special"

Although I don't have a cat, I'm VERY against keeping them outside. My neighbors have a cat that they just throw outside when they get sick of it... We've almost hit him with the car, he has been cornered and almost killed by foxes (Our other neighbors had to rescue him) and he kills all sorts of wildlife. But they still refuse to keep him indoors, even though MANY people, including us, have emailed them and asked them not to let him out. It's just so much safer for them.

If you do want to let her outside, I've seen these outdoor cat cages that look like they would be pretty handy. Or, like you meantioned, you could put her on a harness and supervise her outside.

BTW, I'm glad to see you posting here again!! It's been a while!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't think you're wrong to do that, especially since you intend to let the cat out on a harness.

A lot of people have outside cats in my area. I see a lot of dead cats on the side of the road.

My actual neighborhood is pretty quiet so cats don't get hit by cars...they're eaten by coyotes.

I will never have an outside cat (although I do think cats benefit from "fresh air" and would like to have an outdoor enclosure and/or harness train them).

Edit: Not to mention the damage they do to native wildlife. It's not all about the cats IMO, it's also about protecting native birds (among others).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Betta Bomb

I agree with the above posters. Harnessing keeps the cat and wildlife safe. It enables her to explore and get some air outdoors while supervised so she doesn't get killed. Great job on rescuing her!

I live on a one way cul-de-sac and there are a few cats which are let out which never leave the road somehow. The 3 of them are so lazy but are all looked after and fixed. They don't kill any birds and only one catches a mouse here and there. Mostly they sit on the steps of all the houses waiting for attention. I don't reccomend this "care" for cats since they are un-supervised and I don't even know how they came to be so reliable in not going off the street!! lol

Nice to see you back here btw!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

he he thanks guys. I finally got a computer after moving out of my moms. Its so sweet that you all remembered me! Thanks for the support on this, too.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:12 PM
is a little "special"

Yup, I missed talking to you! I think it's time for some picture of this kitty though. LOL

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I know! I need to get the software for my digital camera onto my compooooter. As soon as i do you will see her!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Great advices for you and thanks for giving her a great home. Looking forward too on her photo..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
cat, indoor, outdoor