Injured kitten... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Injured kitten...

At work we have a lot of wild cats...and they breed. I'm always catching an odd kitten or two wandering around our shop or something. I usually just pet the little ones a bit if I can catch them an let them run back off. Every now and then, though, I come across a specials one.

Last night I saw one sprint across our shop floor and I took after him. I was just going to hustle him outside but he climbed up into the engine bay of my truck. When I popped the hood and he jumped i noticed he limped a bit...so I went to hunting him down. Took me 5 hours to get him out of my truck and caught.

Turned out his left front foot was crushed. since he climbed up in my engine bay I just assume he did it before and got hit by the fan or caught in a belt. All he's got left is the big pad and one of his smaller pads. He had a toe/claw still hanging on but only by a tendon. The toe was dead and rotting, the tendon wasn't doing any good by it...he didn't even feel it when i cut it off.

After cleaning his foot up really well it doesn't look as bad as I had thought it would be. he's apparently been dealing with it for some time because he's done a lot fo healing. The pads are pink, nothing's inflamed and the only open spot is where I cut his dangling toe off.

he sits in my lap now and purrs away...if I'm standing he doesn't seem to like me but if he's in my lap and I stop petting he lets me know...kinda funny from a wild kitten. not sure how old he is...he weights 1lb 13oz, has most of his teeth, purrs and shivers and eats hard kibble.

I'm going to hang on to him for a few days to make sure his foot doesn't get infected or anything then I'll be putting him back out.

I'll try ot get a pic of him...he's cute.

I have a gecko...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...or does a gecko have me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

why dont u consider bringing him to a shelter or rescue place instead of sending him back out...i think he is in some need of some love and maybe you have room and maybe u dont, but if u dont and hes a baby chances are he'll get adopted out. Think about it...one less cat on his own is like 40 less cats being born hehe. Good luck with him and cant wait to see pictures.

Sherry

Mommy to 10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's

2 Kitties

3 doggies

1 fish

1 snake

1 iguana and 2 geckos

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

We don't have joints like that out here...who'd take him in. The local vet's clinic would likely put him down after 2 weeks due to being injured...I'm one of the few people in my area who'd actually give him a few minutes of time.

I have a gecko...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

Aww thats a shame...I wish there were more people around, and i guess he's better alive in the wild anyway. Well enjoy him and definitely send pictures, although something tells me you wont be able to get rid of him.

Sherry

Mommy to 10
's

2 Kitties

3 doggies

1 fish

1 snake

1 iguana and 2 geckos

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingrl19
Aww thats a shame...I wish there were more people around, and i guess he's better alive in the wild anyway. Well enjoy him and definitely send pictures, although something tells me you wont be able to get rid of him.
lol...actually I found him a place. I stopped to ship off a bunch of car-parts and I always drop them off at this printing company (I get awesome rates through them) and asked if anyone wanted a kitten on my way out. One of the ladies I'm always dealing with saw him and took him straight home.

I really didn't want to put him back outside here at work because he was such a healthy little guy and he might have had a hard time coping due to his foot. I'm glad someone could take him up.

I have a gecko...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Playful Pup

Awwwwwwwwww That is great !

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

OOOOh I'm so happy for him, and you good job

Sherry

Mommy to 10
's

2 Kitties

3 doggies

1 fish

1 snake

1 iguana and 2 geckos

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

I love happy endings! Thanks for helping this little baby who needed help.