Instant weightloss - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Instant weightloss

So one of my MIL's cats (Mufasa) used to be a good sized cat. Ben had told me his mom said he was thinning out, but today I went over and this poor cat is nothing but skin and bones. Something must be wrong with him for something so drastic. I should've taken his picture, and shown it with a before pic so I could show you how much he's lost in just a couple months.

Cindy said she can't afford to take him to the vet, but I suggested a few common sense things like checking his poop for worms, etc... But anyways, I was just wondering what could cause him to lose weight so fast? (Steph, your input would be appreciated here.) And if its something that may be diagnosed at home (since she says she can't afford to take him to the vet) how can that be done and what can she give him to treat it, whatever it may be??

She didn't ask me to ask for any advice but I was totally blown away when I saw him walk into the room. He looks old now.

He's near 15ish I think, maybe a few years less...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kidney problems, Diabetes, cancer, and thyroid problems are what come to mind first, all of which can be pretty easily diagnosed with some bloodwork or an exam. There's no way to diagnose at home in a 15 year old cat.

I hate to be harsh, but it's not fair to watch him slowly suffer and waste away. If she can't afford to treat, it might be kinder of her to euthanize.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Miss New Booty

Mal, I'm sorry to hear about Mufasa. I agree, the first thing that came to mind to me was a thryroid issue. Or any of the things Steph said, which only mean having a CBC done.

I did find an interesting website on hyperthyroidism if you want to check it out. It is common in older cats, too.

http://www.fabcats.org/hyperthyroidism.html

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

My cat didn't loose weight drastically... she was always little.

But the vet told me when she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism that it isn't common for an old cat to suddenly loose weight like that because of a thyroid problem. However, of the 'obvious' signs that you might be able to see yourself, my cat showed only two including being underweight. So the vet wasn't sure. Bloodwork would be the best suggestion.

I agree with Jade... it doesn't seem fair to see him waste away like that. Especially just because she doesn't want to spend the money.

*snatches Jackie's website to browse over* thanks. not sure if I saw that one yet.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Thats exactly what I felt, you guys. When he walked into the room, I almost didn't recognize him. I mean, its beyond just being thin, Fas looks like he hasn't eaten in months.

According to Cindy, oh no, he eats, sleeps, breaths, feels, smells (everything you name it) just fine, except look. And then she said he moves real slow. :angry:

Ben said later after we'd left, he has seen him maybe two weeks ago and he didn't look so bad. So not only in just a few months has he had just a loss of weight, its been even faster!

I told Ben right after he said that how peeved I am at his mom. Like she can go out and constantly be buying all these new crafts and whatchamacallits from her trip to LA but when it comes to her cats she doesn't want to do anything until its practically too late! (You may recall when I asked for her about the pyometris (sp?) symptoms that her other kitty Meha was showing.)

Anyways, I sorta felt like it is something shutting down, something that is truely fatal and painful, and just looking at that poor guy... I couldn't just sit there and listen to, "Oh well he's acts normal besides that."

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

I'm sorry....but I despise people like that.

She got this cat and now she pretty much doesn't want to do anything for him? That's crap. He'd be much better off and in no pain if he was euthanised. Having to go through that much pain and all that weight loss is not fair to him, and she apparently doesn't give a ****.

Sorry....but I see this way too much and it ****** me off.

Karen

[

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

You don't have to apologize to me!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory
You don't have to apologize to me!
I guess that's in my nature to start off saying sorry.

Karen

[

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

I am so sorry that you are witnessing this, Mal. And I'm even sorrier for Mufasa.

Is there ANY way you can help her out with bringing him to the vet? Maybe to get him looked at and, possibly, euthanized?

Again - so sorry.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Thats sad!