Introducing Cats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Introducing Cats

So the wife and myself are considing adding a new cat to the family, right now we have a female three year old who is spayed and I am curious if it would be easier to introduce her to a kitten or to another cat around the same age and also wondering if its easier to introduce a female or male to a female? any feedback would be wonderful, thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Female to a female would probably be easiest, but it depends also on the attitude of the male if you had fallen in love with a male. Generally in the cat hierarchy males are down near the bottom, and females rank highest. If you fell in love with a REALLY laid-back male, who would seem to just roll over and be submissive to the female, then that'd probably be okay. But otherwise, another female would be your best bet, since there's little need to battle over positioning in the hierarchy - in comparison to unspayed females which rank at the very top, spayed females rank very, very low in the hierarchy. And that is mutually understood by any spayed females in the picture.

It also depends, of course, on the personality of your current cat. If she is very dominant even with you guys(I've read that cats who don't cover their feces in the litter box are often the dominant ones), then you'd probably want to adopt a kitten, and in that case, whether it was male or female really wouldn't matter. But if she's more laid-back, then another spayed female around the same age as she would probably be okay.

I can only give advice based on the few experiences I've had with introducing cats. My fiance and I have two cats right now; one isn't spayed, and about 13 years old, and has been dominant all her life to the point that even when she was a kitten, she did not hesitate in attacking a much heavier, adult cat, because he hissed at her human. She latched onto his rump while he went screaming through the house, lol. Her room-mate is my cat, who is spayed, and about 4 years old now. There's still tension between them from time to time because the dominant one isn't fixed, and this feels it necessary to assert her dominance from time to time, but they get along more or less.

My parents recently got a friend for their current cat, who they adopted from a friend of my mom's who could no longer care for her, and she is a spayed, 11 year old female, who was predominantly an outside cat. An outside cat, not in the boondocks, mind. She had been outside every day during the summer since she was 2 years old when she was adopted, but kept inside during the winter. And she has loads of street-smarts. But she was obsessed with marking her territory by clawing everywhere even before my parents got another cat. The cat they adopted was a 6 year old spayed female, and VERY active and playful. Usually they avoid one another. Sometimes Missy, the 11 year old one will attempt to chase Snickers, the 6 year old one, and she'll run. Sometimes when Missy is walking by where Snickers is laying, Missy will hiss at her. But they *never* fought. Not even when first introduced. When they were first introduced Missy just ran and hid. So Missy seems to be dominantly insecure, which....really isn't a good way of being dominant. My fiance's cat is a very confident alpha, and all the cats(and dogs, lol) that she meets respect that.

In hindsight, your overall best best would probably be either a male or female kitten, or a 1 year female, which, at 1 year old, isn't technically an adult. It just skips the rambunctious kitten stage Because introducing another adult cat into the house of a pre-existing cat, can sometimes prove difficult to get them to the "buddy-buddy" stage, since that house is the pre-existing cat's territory, and she may or may not like the idea of another adult waltzing into her territory all because of your orders, lol.

So...there's my input. Again, it all depends on the personality of both cats, if they're both laid back, it's a good fit, if they're both dominant, probably not a good bet. If one's a rambunctious male coming into the picture .....may not be a good bet, lol. Simply because males, that I've read, try and work their way up the ladder, and if there's a female present, the female generally beats them back down the ladder, lol. It depends on exactly what kind of relationship you're looking for, too. If you want your kitties to cuddle with one another, again, adopting a kitten might be best, but if you don't mind the possibility of your cats ignoring one another, and possibly not being seen around together, or at least not seen in the same room for consecutive days, than another female the same age would probably work.

Again..limited input from limited experience, sooo.... Good luck.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 08-08-2010 at 12:45 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would say female cats are more territorial and some never let another female that is an outsider in their group. But males they tend to not care as much about and let them come and go. I would say a male probably young, but an older mellow male would possibly work out as well. Just take it very slow.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I really appriciate the advice especially so quickly, both of you are making a lot of sence and im going to take my time finding the new little fellow (looking like a kitten) kinda wondering the signs of a kitten being laid back like maybe the dosile one or the runt i'd assume? i'm also wondering what you meant by take it slow? oh and between a female and male kitten who is more likely to mark there territory and tear up my place=P?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Giving it a bit more thought, I feel kinda stupid asking this but does the breed of cat matter? I have a very typical Halloween cat, small frame medium to long fur alll black with a little white patch on her chest, I was thinking something short hair for less shedding like a Blue russian, are certain breeds more aggressive or laid back any advice would be appreciated, oh and my cat now is a huge talker we cant walk into the same room with her without getting an ear full.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 AM
It's all for them

I have been introducing new cats to resident cats for many years. There is really no iron clad rule. Male to female, female to female, breed to breed, none of it really matters, it is partly the temperament of each cat, and partly how the introductions are done.

Smell is everything to a cat, so begin with smells. Once you have been chosen (the cats always chooses) before you bring him or her home, exchange smells with a towel that has been rubbed on your resident kitty, bring that towel to the shelter and rub it on new kitty. Then bring that towel home and put it under resident kitty's food dishes.

Now she has smelled the new kitty, and the smell is associated both with her own smell and with good things (food)

Schedule a vet visit and take new kitty to the vet for a check up before doing any introductions.

Keep new kitty separate for a few days and let them get to know each other either through a screen (I have a screen door installed in my bedroom door way for this purpose, new cats live in the bedroom for a couple of weeks) or under a the door, if you can't put in a screen door.

While they are separated, continue exchanging smells. Use two towels, one for each kitty, rub each towel on both cats, put one under each food dish. Do it daily. The longer new kitty is in your home the more s/he will begin to smell familiar to resident kitty.

When you start introductions expect a lot of hissing and yowling. It is normal behavior for cats.

Do not despair if they don't take to one another right away. It can take a long time for a cat to adjust to a new cat, and not only that new cat is dealing with a ton of changes all at once.

New place, new people, surrounded by strange cat smells.

To do before hand: Install some feliway plug in diffusers before you start!

Get a new litter box, brand new, for the new kitty. Once they are integrated you should have three litter boxes for two cats.

Make sure you have enough elevated space for both cats. Cats like to be up high to survey what's going on. With two cats, you need two high spots!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

That was some awesome advice thank you so much!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

what i meant by take it slow is not just expect to bring home a new male kitten and put it out in the house loose with your old cat. Things go bad, make sure new and old cat has a place to go to get away from the other, i prefer to put the new cat in a pet carrior and let them smell each other threw the bars.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
cat introductions