introducing cats...need HELP! :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Question introducing cats...need HELP! :)

well, as many of you know, i've been fostering a cat named charlie. well, i kinda went and fell in with him! however, my friend is moving in rather soon (may) and she is extremely allergic to cats. so charlie can't be here. so my only solution to this problem is to have someone keep him for me until i can take him back (not soon). and the only people that can do this are my parents. the problem is, they have layla (my first cat that refused to move). she is THE devil. she hates all living things. so how in the world will i introduce these two? here's some info on both cats and the situation:

layla
*we got her at a shelter when she was 8 weeks old.
*she is super mean.
*when i was keeping her up here with me (while parents were moving), she accidentely got out of the bedroom and attacked penny. not just a swipe...a brawl.
*is spayed.

charlie
*i rescued him from the streets here in denton this past winter.
*he's about 2-3 years old (we're guessing).
*only play bites or swipes. he is not attacking to hurt you or cause he's mad.
*is neutered
*sprays sometimes because of the dogs.

situation
my parents live about 11 hrs away. so i can't just bring him over for short periods to introduce them. once i drive him down there, he's down there. my friend is moving in mid-may and then we go to london. we will be back may 31st and she will be living here from then on. so i need to do something quickly.

so this is my dillema. it sucks. i don't know what else to do, though. i tried to get him adopted out, but it never happened.

so my questions are - what should i do? should i bring him down there? and if do bring him down there, how in the world do i introduce them? i would be able to be down there for about 3 days. keep in mind i will be buying Felliway and giving it to my parents if he moves in with them.

so help me guys!!!

thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Formula86; 04-18-2005 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Playful Pup

It might be worth 'testing the water' with Layla and Charlie, they might get along swimmingly. That wasn't supposed to be funny ! How about suggesting a full body suit to friend ?! Good friend ? Have fun in London. Best of luck with your predicament.

~ Helen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...missing
GanMan

Click
2 Feed Animals In Need 4 Free
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

when i bring pixel to my parent's house to visit, we give pixel the run of the upstairs and have all bebop's things downstairs because she wants to destroy pixel.

but that's probably too long of a time to keep them separated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

helen - i really doubt it. like i said, layla hates all living things.

natasha - there is no way to keep them seperated. they have a one bedroom apt and all the rooms are open (no doors).

thanks though, guys.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 05:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When I brought Missy home Sassy was pissed, even at me! She wanted nothing to do with Missy. Of course I had a way to keep them separated and Missy was a kitten at the time. They get along pretty well now but Sassy is well, let's put it this way, my friends from work call her Satan!
Can you get a hold of a large crate? I know crating a cat sounds funny but some people do it for short periods of time in this kind of situation. Maybe it would give you a chance to see if they can at least tolerate each other without anyone getting hurt.
Who knows, maybe Layla will surprise you! I wish you the best of luck!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks for the advice, choc. i'm still not sure what we are going to do. i just don't know what i'd do if i got all the way down there and there was no way he could stay. who knows.....

but thanks, you guys. i appreciate it!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Miss New Booty

Aww man what a tough situation, Jane. I know how much you want to keep Charlie or find him a home. I wish Jen wasn't so allergic to cats.

This is a toughie! I wish there was some easy solution to introducing them. Hmm especially with no doors to seperate them.. Chocolate had a good idea. I wonder if a large crate would work? Worth a try I guess? Layla will probably be upset b.c you are bringing Charlie into her "home" yanno, but you never know with cats, they are unpredictable! lol! Has she ever been around another cat before? Feliway is a great idea to try, also. It would really help with the stress, etc. This sounds silly, but if you introduce them, make sure their nails are clipped first, too. Is it possible Jim could maybe keep Charlie for awhile?

Keep us posted! I know you only want the best for Charlie!! I really hope this works out!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jane could you try swapping them over in the bathroom? So they each get time to roam around the house without being teared up by the other? I know it's probably not the ideal but it would let them get used to each other's smells and that way it wouldn't be just one locked up all the time, they could both get exercise time.
Then when they are in the same room together you could crate one of them (Milko gets crated really well, he is constantly in the dog crates, his choice) so that they could see and smell each other but if Layla tries to attack you only have one cat to catch, and put a box in the crate so that charlie can hide so layla can't get to him if she puts her devil horns on.

I have no experience with this so I don't even know if any of these ideas would work. Just trying to think of things to help you out a bit.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Jane could you try swapping them over in the bathroom? So they each get time to roam around the house without being teared up by the other? I know it's probably not the ideal but it would let them get used to each other's smells and that way it wouldn't be just one locked up all the time, they could both get exercise time.
Good idea, Carmen!!! I didn't think of that!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you all for the responses.

i guess it's hard to post MY responses without coming off completely negative - but i have to be honest. my parents both work and are tired when they come home. so i don't know how much of an "eye" they could keep on one while the other is in a crate. plus, whenever layla goes to the vet in her crate she meows and cries non-stop. so does charlie. i actually just take charlie on my lap to the vet like a dog! and then i hold him like a baby while we wait. he really is an . anyways, like i said before - there is NO way layla will accept him. i just don't see it happening. she attacks US. me and my parents. and while charlie attacks to play, she groans and moans and is really attacking.

i'm starting to think that it would be better to find my baby a new home. and i'll get myself all psyched up to do it and then i'll go take a nap in my room and he'll sleep on my legs with me.

i'll keep you guys updated. thanks, again.

and if anyone has any info on organizations that might help me out (i'm in TX), please let me know.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.nelsonbach.com/BFE_for_pets.html

You might look at using some Bach Essences, specifically Walnut and Beech, if you do decide to intro them.

Hang in there, I know it isn't an easy situation.

Stephanie

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

that's a cool website.

has anyone here used them?

do they work for humans?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm trying them on Elvis for his fur-chewing, but it may be months before his fur re-grows so it's hard to give you an accurate assessment right now. I did use the Rescue Remedy on Gumbo after surgery and he woke up VERY quickly with it.

Stephanie

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

that's cool that they work. i'm still undecided as to what i'm going to do.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jane we've had great results form bash essences at work, but we generally use recue remedy, and we have a couple for bruising etc. I don't know how they would work for the cats, but for what we use at work they work great.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I know it's a tough decision when you have your head and heart battling it out. Keep us updated.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy