Introducing Henry - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Thumbs up Introducing Henry

Well, everyone, I finally adopted a cat!

Sami and I had been going to the Päijät-Hämeen Animal Shelter last week because it was my vacation time and we finally had time to go.

When I went I had a male cat in mind because I already have my two girls and I felt it might be easier for them to accept a male rather than another female. But, the first day there I saw this VERY sweet little black female with the cutest eyes ever and I told Sami I wanted her. He was on the fence about it so I said fine, we'd go home and think about. The second time going there she was still sweet as ever but Sami said let's go into the rooms one more time for a finally look-about. The second room I sat down and immediately this precious black and white female jumped into my lap and wanted lovings! I told Sami we might want to consider her, too, but he didn't like her because she wasn't too keen on him.

In the third room no one immediatelyran up to us and I was thinking there might not be any extrovert kitties there (since that's what I wanted--Galina is already a grump and Gerona isn't shy, but she's not really friendly, either). Well, right before I said let's go to the next room, Sami said, "Oh, look! Is this one a male?" He was scratching a little gray and white cat and I looked and said, "Yup, he's a male."

Jaska, as the shelter called him, was staring at the door as if willing to open it by telekinesis. Sami reached out to him just to see if he was friendly and he really was. Once Sami started petting him, he stood up and was kneading the floor and purring. He even let me PICK HIM UP, which no other cat in shelter would allow and sometimes not even Galina will allow (since we all know how iffy kitties can be on whether or not they want to be picked up). He was so calm and peaceful natured that I just adored him immediately.

So, that day we filled out an application to adopt him.

And, today, a week later, the shelter delivered him to us and he's now in our bedroom getting acclimated. I'll take pictures when I can, but for now they'll probably just ones of him hiding under the bed.

I told Sami I didn't want him to have a Finnish name (and I can't remember Jaska, anyway). I was wanting to call him George, but Sami didn't like that name. So, Sami came up with calling him Henry and I like it. So, Henry he is.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwwww congratulations, Henry sounds adorable and sounds like you picked the right cat for you they say a cat should always pick you and it sounds like he truly did

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Congrats Rowan! I love the name Henry! I bet he is a cutie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Here's a picture of Henry under the bed:

So far, he seems to be doing very well. He's not acting overly scared or stressed, but he's just cautious about his new surroundings. He doesn't want to be out in the open yet, but he has let me pet him and even purred a little when I did so. So, I think in time he'll settle in very well.

Before we got him, he'd been living in the shelter for almost 2 years. So, I think Henry was telling Sami and me that he was ready to go.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congrats, Rowan! Henry's adorable.

Two years? Wow, he WAS ready to go and knew you guys would be the perfect home.

Stephanie

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Part of the Pack

Congratulations!

OH MY GOD two years!? Henry is so adorable. I'm so happy for both of you. He is in good hands now!

Henry was definitely ready for a loving home!

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

awww hes so cute

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

The great thing about most shelters in Finland is that almost ALL of them are no-kill shelters, so some of these places have had cats living there for 5+ years! Usually these are the cats that were found as strays and have never really gotten used to people, but even so, the shelter gives them a home there.

I can't believe Henry was there so long, though. He's one of the calmest, most peaceful cats I've ever met. Perhaps it's because he doesn't ACTIVELY go up to people, but rather wants you to come to him. He's too much of a 'cool cat' to be acting like an over-affectionte girl!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwwww he is absolutely adorable, congratulations once again

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Playful Pup

Congrats on Henry he is very cute! I love male cats they are so loving and affectionate.

Life is not complete without a dog at your feet

Mom to:
Harley, Rott/husky X
Rebel, English Setter/ Border collie X
Dixie Belle, ACD
Lexus, Rescue Rottie
Zeke, Rescue Rottie
Scarlet, Husky/ collie X
& Zeus Kitty
My Website

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

awwwww hes so cute! I love his colors! maybe some yummy fish flavored treats will coax him out from under the bed! (you have beautifle hardwood floors by the way) good luck!

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

What a handsome fella! Looks like you found the right match!

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamys_mom_1990
awwwww hes so cute! I love his colors! maybe some yummy fish flavored treats will coax him out from under the bed! (you have beautifle hardwood floors by the way) good luck!
Thank you! They're actually laminate floors but everyone comments on how much they look like read wood flooring. I love them since they look like hardwood but are MUCH tougher and can handle kids, dogs, cats and dirt much better.

Last night was something else. Henry started crying and scratching at the door around 5 or so and when I went in, he actually came out from under the bed to see me and get some scratchings. I spent some time in there with him and then left him again. Well, about 30 minutes after leaving he started again and WOULD NOT stop. So, I locked the girls in the bathroom and opened the door to let him explore the house some. This appeased him for about an hour, but then he went to the bathroom door and was scratching at it and crying again. He wanted to see the girls!

Well, I knew Gerona wasn't happy about a stranger in her house (and neither is Galina), but I was curious how she'd react if I put Henry in a crate and just let her sniff at him. So, I did this and of course she hissed and hissed and hissed but didn't growl or slap at the crate. And the whole time Henry was looking about like, "Hey! Come play with me! I want to be friends!"

Henry is a very friendly cat, and it's a shame the girls aren't the same way. But, I didn't let the semi-introduction go on long before I put Henry back in his room.

And he yowled all night after that. So, no sleep for me!

Also, Henry had one of THE stinkiest poos I've ever smelled in my entire life! It was TRUE biological warfare, let me tell you! I'm hoping his new change of diet will lessen the smell of the poo over time like it did for Galina. But, I got to test out my new Glade Odour Neutraliser and it works! Thank goodness for that, because I don't believe I could have slept in there if the smell had lingered!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 05:47 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow he is a sweetie.
I am glad you found him and I hope the girls treat him well and take care of him as he has had a rough 2 years.

By the way under your bed looks exactly like mine (except the cat) same bed and same plastic thing

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Congratulations! Henry is so adorable! I'm so glad he got such a great home with you and that you got to test out your Glade product.

Tags
animal shelter, male cat, male rat, white cat