Irritated eye - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Irritated eye

Hello again! Eden's right eye is bugging him. It drips mucus tears like a loose faucet and his eyelids have minor swelling and are red. I noticed this a couple days ago and have been wiping it with a warm damp cloth, thinking it would heal itself like when we have eye irritations, y'know? But if anything it seems to be getting worse. A visit to the doc's being set, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to comfort him? Or if it will in fact heal itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Any time there's an eye involved, we usually recommend a vet visit ASAP at work. It could be a scratch, which could turn into an ulcer and eventually get really nasty, or an infection which could spread ... The only thing you can do in the meantime is to use some straight saline eye wash (found in the contact solution aisle - make sure it's only saline) and rinse the eye out to help clear out potential debris.

I hope he gets better soon for you!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aww, poor Eden It sounds like conjunctivitis.

I would take Eden to the vet as soon as possible. There are any number of things that can cause the symptoms you describe. Potential causes for conjunctivitis include feline herpes virus, chlamydia, mycoplasma, eosinophilic conjunctivitis, other bacterial infection and allergic (environmental) disease.

Does he have any other symptoms such as sneezing or coughing? Sometimes what you describe can be part of an upper respiratory infection.

Only your vet can determine the cause and prescribe the appropriate treatment. I'd make him as comfortable as possible by gently wiping away the mucous with a warm wet cotton ball (just what you are doing now) until you see your vet and find out what is causing the problem.

Good Luck!- please keep us posted.
I hope Eden is feeling better real soon.

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 09:36 PM

Awwww poor Eden. Good luck with the vet visit. Give him some loving cuddles.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah! He often sneezes and has a dry cough. URI was my thought from Day 1 (I had experience with this with my first kitty), but the doc says she prefers not to give him anything unless he shows green nasal discharge. He gets to see the doc again first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you for your advice and kind words thus far!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Er, sorry if it's uncurteous to double-post, I'm unable to locate an edit button. Anywho, turns out it is in fact conjunctivitis as a secondary effect of URI. The vet sent us home with some tablets and eyedrops, so he should be good to go in no time (a week or two that is)!

Oy, the vet bill hurts! But, whatever it takes for my little cutie baby (who's neither a baby nor little by any means, but he's cute)!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 03:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm so glad you got to the root of Eden's eye problem. He should be as good as new in no time And - he's got you to love on him while he's getting better!

Oy is right on the vet bills, but yah - we gotta do what we gotta do for our babies!
I'm glad you got tablets rather than liquid suspension - I don't know about anyone else, but I sure find pilling my cats a lot easier than getting the correct dose of liquid meds into them - they can flip their head and send that medicine flying all over in a spray shower of yuck faster than I can try to get it down their throats!

Let us know how he's doing!! Give him some chin scritches from me and tell him I hope he's feeling better

[center]

[

Tags
respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection, vet visit