Jazzy got scratched/bitten - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jazzy got scratched/bitten

Jazzy got a small puncture over her left eye a few days ago. I think it was from Ollie because they play pretty rough together and they always bite each other's heads. I've been watching it very closely to make sure it doesn't look like an abcesss. It doesn't seem to be getting better or getting worse. I'm not sure what to do. Her eyelid looks a tiny bit swollen and she looks like she has a scab, but like I said, it hasn't gotten any worse. Its so hard for me to tell what is going on because its covered by her fur, and she hates being picked up and messed with. So....is another vet trip in order or should I just keep an eye on it? I'm so tired of going to the vets lately! I want healthy kitties darnit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Pick the scab off (eww, I know) and use some anti-bacterial soap and water and scrub it out really well (avoiding soap in the eyes, obviously - might want to use a q-tip). You may need to have Mike scruff her and she won't like you for a while, but bite wounds have a tendancy to get infected. If you notice any swelling, redness or discharge or she stops eating/drinking you'll want to take her in.

Also, keep your eye out for any squinting or discharge from her eye. If you notice any eye issues, it's best to go in. A scratch can quickly become a large problem.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Pick the scab off (eww, I know) and use some anti-bacterial soap and water and scrub it out really well (avoiding soap in the eyes, obviously - might want to use a q-tip). You may need to have Mike scruff her and she won't like you for a while, but bite wounds have a tendancy to get infected. If you notice any swelling, redness or discharge or she stops eating/drinking you'll want to take her in.

Also, keep your eye out for any squinting or discharge from her eye. If you notice any eye issues, it's best to go in. A scratch can quickly become a large problem.
Thanks Jade! Wow, should I clip the fur so I can see it better? I did notice that the lid looks a little swollen. He eye itself is ok, but the wound could be infected. I think I'll have Mike wrap her in a towel tomorrow so I can clean it. If it looks bad, off to the vet she goes. We have insurance that covers abcesses too. Hopefully it will be ok after I clean it though. She is going to throw a fit too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You can clip it, but I'd be hesitant due to the location.

Restraint wise, you can wrap her in a towel but I'm betting you'll have to have him scruff her to keep her still enough. She sounds fiesty.

Stephanie

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
You can clip it, but I'd be hesitant due to the location.

Restraint wise, you can wrap her in a towel but I'm betting you'll have to have him scruff her to keep her still enough. She sounds fiesty.
Lol, she is fiesty! I'll tell Mike about scruffing her. Thanks!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I've had 2 eye scratches that needed treatment, so this is what I know. If you look at the underside of the lid and it is puffy pink/red, then she mostly likely needs to go to the vet to get drops. If it's light pink/white, then she's pry fine and should heal on her own

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hope Jazzy is feeling better soon and the eye lid heals up ok

My dog got her eye scratched a few years ago by another dog and didn't know it had happened and she ended up with her eye stiched up for 6 weeks so always best to be cautious with eye injuries inside or out!

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixx
I've had 2 eye scratches that needed treatment, so this is what I know. If you look at the underside of the lid and it is puffy pink/red, then she mostly likely needs to go to the vet to get drops. If it's light pink/white, then she's pry fine and should heal on her own
Thanks guys! Thats good advice. Its so hard to tell because its high up on her lid. When Mike gets home I'm going to try to look underneath it. Thanks!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I agree with Jade, scruff her, pick the scab and clean thrououghly with antibacterial soap...you can also put a small dab of neosporine on it if it's not too close to the eye and just keep a good eye on it. Pussing, swelling, redness...go to the vet, she'd then need antibiotics to help clear it up.
Good Luck!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Hmmm, well I'm trying to look at it. It kinda of looks like a scaley patch now, and a little scabby. I'm not sure if I can pick the scab. The area looks a little pink, and her eyelid looks a tiny bit swollen, but she acts like she couldn't care less. She lets me touch the area too without flinching, she just doesn't like it when I pick her up amd mess with her (buts thats usual). Ugh, what to do. Either way I'm going to have to wait until I get home from work tonight and Mike is home.