Just asking... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Just asking...

Well, i found my kitty Colby on my school bus 3 years ago when he was 4 months old. He was a stray, no one claimed him and he had fleas. Thats not my question though.

Colby always had very LARGE paws and used to be very athletic. Well, 3 years later Colby is 38 lbs. We have tried the vet and spend thousands of dollars with no solution.

We can not put him on a diet unfortunatly because i have a sickly 16 year old and her sister who are used to hard food being out 24/7, plus if I put diet food in it would hurt Louise badly since she is only 7 lbs and going down hill.

SO, my question is, what do i do now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe, put a kitty door in one of the rooms small enough fat cat can't fit in and the other cats can so they can go in and eat and tubby has to eat diet food, plus you can try and get him to play and run and things
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

when he was younger he chased lazers and jumped so high. Now he humps my leg at night and plays with my orange kitty max. but thats it. Plus if he doesnt have roam of the house, Colby decides he will go to the bathroom in another room. Its becoming a problem when we try to help him.

The vet has tried foods too, yet, we cant seem to help him loose wieght last month he was 35lbs. He;s getting way to big to carry up the stairs at night. I use him as a pillow and teddy bear hehe

THIS IS MAX

THIS IS COLBY.
I dont know how max lives after being tackled by Colby. lol

Last edited by Lazykittenmoon; 02-20-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Part of the Pack

Separate the older cat if possible, or else separate the one needing the diet.

Kendalle has a good solution for how to do achieve it, not sure how cost effective it would be for the door.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe i thought of a better way, make a crate that only the little cats can fit in, and have the diet food only available twice a day with limited amounts
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

The thing is, when i found Colby and when i found Max, the older girls would always go after the kitten food and vis versa. My mother is mainly to blam for giving them excess hard food. Although latly Colby has been sleeping on my bed and only goes down to eat for dinner time a.k.a soft food time, and in the morning. i think he's scared of going down the stairs.

The older ones can't be placed elsewhere because Louise (the one going downhill) wanders a lot and only really knows where the litter box and food is and gets confused everywhere else. its not exactly fair to her and Thelma
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

when my cat was way over weight we forced her to do the vets exercises lol...we found toys she liked and played till she dropped and then we did the leg exercises and all that while she layed down and purred lol...we never gave her diet food as the vet said it was unhealthy for her health problems, but we did put her on an indoor kitty food which is lower in fat...we tried every game with her, we put our hands under the blanket and she attacked, we put meat in a ball and rolled it...we did it all lol...she went from 37 to 22 in a few months and thats where she stayed

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

he likes cat nip a LOT. so he has a mouse filled with the stuff but he still gets very lazy after a bit. Even with play fighting he'll give up and start licking... He is an oddity.

We've tried the vet exercises, but nothing worked. He's a big boy, at 4 months he was already 11 lbs. (found the first vet bill statment with wieght on it finally) Also he hates being touched any where but his head. He gets very angry and meows a very loud pitch meow, its funyn to hear it because you dont expect such a high pitch from him.

HAHA, this guy that was doing and estimate for the bathroom just saw him and said, "IS THAT A CAT?"

Last edited by Lazykittenmoon; 02-20-2008 at 10:01 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

He sounds like a big boy!
Can he jump up on things? If not maybe put the kitty food up high. Would the older kitties be able to jump up to get the food?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Guarded by Waffles

The cats at my parents house are also big boys. I've tried convincing them to only feed a little twice a day but they leave it out and let them eat as much as they want. Problem is one of them is my cat so I think I have a say but they don't think so....sorry I ramble. Wish I could help more...

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Colby can jump. He jumps onto my bed which is raised.

I would feed twice a day but the 16 year old girls are used to food out all the time and they knew to eat their fill not the entire bowl
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they would get used to eating twice a day.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

they would yes, but one of the girls is very sick with hypertensiona nd is loosing wieght, we cant afford to do a drastic change.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Could you isolate Colby upstairs and leave the older kitties downstairs? You could use pet gates or something to discourage them. Then you could feed Colby separately. I like the idea of putting wet food in a ball for him to play with like HappyDancer said. It sounds like he likes wet food so he would probably be interested in playing with it. Good luck. I'm sure you'll figure out something.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

one of the older girls sleep upstairs. One downstairs. Its a fustrating thing. He loves water tho, hence why we have to close the toilet lids, he plays in the toilets, gets all wet and jumps on the bed >_<

Tags
kitten food, litter box, teddy bear, wet food