just rescued a kitty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

just rescued a kitty

so i was outside and there was a cat, male, about 1 year old..patches of fur that are really thin/gone, had flea's.. so i sprayed him with this flea stuff i got, gave him food and he is now sleeping on the dining food chair that I sit in..he is soooooo skinny and his skin is really loose he is a sweet heart ill get pics tomorrow...its too dark right now, and im too lazy lol but he is a male tabby mixed with something else

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Hello Earthling

That's nice.

I would keep him away from your other pets you never know what he could be carrying.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

here are a few pics i just took with my phone lol he has decided to stay in the garage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Newborn Pup

hes cute, those patches of fur could be abuse from other animals or people that see him. Some of the things i've seen on the internet of what people do to cats are just disturbing.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aww, he looks like a sweetie
That's really great that you took him in and nursing him back to health! Are you going to keep him?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yee! Our new kitties can be internet friends! The lack of fur is probably just due to malnourishment. It happens even in humans. Have you taken him to the vet yet?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

no, i dont have that type of money lol im feeding him with the food that i give my ca dixie who is preggo and i still dunno what im gonna do with her kittens...

and when my cat had flea's she scratched patched of fur off, i think thats what happened to gator, cause his whole body was coverd in flea's untill i sprayed him, and put that flea drop on the back of his neck

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Patches of fur can mean ringworm too I think. In any case, the chances are he's got parasitic worms since he had fleas and had been outdoors. You should really get him treated for parasitic worms.

A good home remedy to kill all kinds of parasitic worms is Garlic. You chop up either 1/2 clove of Garlic into their food dish(most will eat it dry), or buy Garlic powder and sprinkle 1/2 tsp into their food bowl, dry, and treat them like, once a day, for 7 days. Then don't treat them for another 3 weeks, and see if the worms come back. Garlic that's organic is preferable. I've used Organic Garlic Powder from McCormick to treat 3 cats with worms and it's worked for all 3 of them. Obviously there is the danger of Heinz anemia, but as always, the risk is much lower if you use it in moderation. Which is why you never treat a cat with Garlic Powder that's any more than 1/2 tsp. Any larger amount is pushing it. Personally, I trust using organic Garlic Powder much more than chemically-composed dewormer that's caused paralysis in cats' hindquarters for 48 hours.

Ivermectin can be used to treat any potential heartworms, and you can get that at most farm & feed stores, just obviously be considerate with the dosage since it is a cat, not a cow or horse.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 05-22-2010 at 01:52 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

lol he eats like a horse!!!!i can put a can of cat food in front of him and come back 2 minuets later and its DRY everything is gone even the juices lol

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Betta Bomb

I know you mean well but if you dont have the money and already have a preggers cat you want to surrender this poor little guy ASAP to a shelter or a vet. Also, treat your house before the mama cat has babies bc the last thing you want to have is flea ridden kittens bc then you'll never find them homes. Vacuum everything, fleas drop their eggs into the smallest nooks and crannies along baseboards where they can lie dormant (inactive) for a few weeks waiting for hosts. The kittens DONT need this!!
What you could do, since most cats are allergic to flea collars which are also useless for controlling fleas from spreading to tails and such is to put a flea collar in your vacuum bag or canister and then do your vacuuming so anything sucked up will die. Then spray around baseboards with vinegar/water solution. Wash anything that cat has touched in hot soapy water as soon as you can!

Last edited by Purple-Hops; 05-22-2010 at 10:35 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

all the shelters and vets are full/ wont take the cat and the kittens will be here for 6 weeks and then are going bye-bye 1 way or another...im not taking care of kittens...they will to go a good home

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Betta Bomb

If they're going "bye-bye one way or another" you cannot be ensuring good homes right away. But I didnt mean them, I meant the stray you just took in. And 6 weeks is WAY too early to get rid of kittens. My moms cat Illusion was dumped off at 6 weeks and he still cannot cover his stuff in the litter box let alone he has a serious identity crisis and actually thinks he's a dog!! You want to keep the kittens for AT LEAST 8 weeks at the most humane least.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Agreed with above.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

6 weeks is still too young for most animals to be leaving their mother.

Also - you have to be careful that the mother cat doesn't get pregnant again if you have the male around now too.

That's awesome that you took him in and are taking care of him, but if you can afford his vet care I think it would be in his best interest if you try to find him someone who can. Coming off the streets like that, you don't know what health problems he may have. If there is no room in the shelters, maybe you could offer to foster him? Then the shelter should pay for his vet care until he finds a new home.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Playful Pup

I agree with the rest. Besides, there are FAR too many cats in this world to be making more.. You should really get your girly there spayed as soon as possible.