Keeping mother cats and kittens in cages at night - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Keeping mother cats and kittens in cages at night

Hi everyone
I do fostering for local shelters. Yesterday I picked up two female pregnant cats Ruby and Carrott. Ruby is due in about two weeks. Carrott is due in four weeks. I have two cats of my own Tommy and Nigel. I was wondering if I should keep the mams and kittens confined from them in a large cage at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 01:19 AM

I am also fostering at the moment. I have a separate room for the mom and her 4 kittens but I prefer to separate them. I don't want my cats giving anything to the babies and visa versa. Although all cats are healthy I just feel safer with the little furry meatballs confined to a smaller area for now. They are just getting their sea legs now so I figure in about a week or two I will be running around my house trying to round them all up as they escape from the room their in.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
I am also fostering at the moment. I have a separate room for the mom and her 4 kittens but I prefer to separate them. I don't want my cats giving anything to the babies and visa versa. Although all cats are healthy I just feel safer with the little furry meatballs confined to a smaller area for now. They are just getting their sea legs now so I figure in about a week or two I will be running around my house trying to round them all up as they escape from the room their in.
Hi Dena
It's good that I have finally found another foster mom on the net. I have been looking for a foster mom to talk to from quite some time. I have a yahoo messenger id quaderica1980. This is my first time fostering pregnant momcats I have fostered orphaned kittens before. Tommy and Nigel were both bottle babies that I came into my foster care two years ago. Tommy and Nigel are both sweet boys but I do want the momcats to feel safe. Right now I'm having Tommy and Nigel sleep in the garage. The momcats are sleeping in my living rooom at night. The spare bedroom I have is being used as a photography studio and I'm also thinking about cleaning out my laundry room to keep Ruby and Carrott. I would love to chat or talk with you Dena I'm also getting a msn messenger id later today. If you want you can email me at [email protected]. Thank you for advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:54 AM

I find it much easier having the mom than bottle feeding. I help run the local animal shelter/pound so fostering has become part of the job. I don't think we have any volunteers that are willing to foster, not yet anyway. I have baskets set up for her but she prefers to keep them in the carry kennel she was brought home in. I left it in the room purposefully to give her a safe haven but now she is freaking out because the babies are starting walk around, usually just to find her. I will be keeping them for 2 months. We have a problem with URI's at the shelter and we don't want the babies to get sick so when they are between 8 and 12 weeks I will bring them back. Unfortunately last night, two of the babies had goopy eyes so I am afraid that they may have ended up with something anyway
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dena

How old are the kittens and how old is the mom? Does she have a name? I started fostering three years ago, I have fostered weaned kittens, orphan kittens and special need cats. I love fostering so much. Ruby and Carrott are very beautiful cats. I'm consdiring adopting Ruby and maybe one of her kittens. I'm also trying to find Carrott a home. I will be moving into a bigger house in a couple of months so I have at least two spare rooms for my foster cats.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:24 PM

The kittens are as of today 15 days old. The mom is just a kitten herself, she is just under a year. She has a name but I hate it and I am going to change it. I figure since they are all black cats I'm going to go with a TV witch theme. Not sure yet. I have three all black females, mom is all black and one black and white boy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:41 PM

Hi Yellowroses I don't have any fostering experience, but I just wanted to let you know that I think you are a great person for being a kitty foster home.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigsterz
Hi Yellowroses I don't have any fostering experience, but I just wanted to let you know that I think you are a great person for being a kitty foster home.
Hi Pigsterz

Thank you for you nice comments. Fostering is a big joy I have learned a lot of compassion from the special needs cats I have cared for. One of my special needs cats was Velvetwho was born with deformed paws I loved her so much that I was going to adopt her but a year round camp for special needs childern wanted to adopt her so I let them. I hear that she is very happy and she lives with the director of the camp when it's not in session. If you ever get a chance to foster take it Pigsterz you will enjoy it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dena
That's cool that you are going to give the cats names from tv witches. About Sabrina, Samantha, Endora, Tabitha and Salem for the little boy kitty. At first I didn't like that Carrott's name but after awhile my boyfriend convinced me that it was a good name for her since she i a orange tabby. She's a little skettish but she can sweeten up when you rub her belly. I really hope she can get a home. Both me and my boyfriend fell in love with Ruby and we are considering adopting her. I was also wondering if I should introduce Tommy and Nigel to Ruby and Carrott. Tommy and Nigel got along well with last year's fosters I cared for two special needs one of them was Velvet that I mentioned in the last post. Both of the boys loved Velvet but I let her go the camp where can be inspiration to the kids at the camp. I cared for 4 bottle babies who later loved to play with Nigel's tail. They also got along well with 5 weaned kittens I cared for. Do you pets get along with your fosters Dena? Do you allow them to interact? I would love to chat with on I have my yahoo messenger quaderica1980 and my msn messenger id [email protected]

Tags
animal shelter, black cat, local animal shelter, local shelter