Kitten biting my mouth..why? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Grandma Gravy Hair

Kitten biting my mouth..why?

I will try and make this long story short. I have a 6 month old female kitten named dutchess and anuther female kitten about 3 months old that was abandoned that we got about two weeks ago that we named Jade. Now Jade and Dutchess get along real well now but I knotice when they play or cuddle at times they try and bite each others mouth. Im not sure why they do this but in some ways it looks like they are just playing because right after they clean each other and curl up and go to sleep. but on the other hand i think they maybe trying to dominant each other to see who the boss is. Now the strange part to all this is this morning Jade climbed in to bed with me and i was laying on my chest and went up to my mouth and started to bite it like the two kittens do to each other. Is she trying to tell me she is the boss? play with me? or is this some strange affection that she is giving me? I have been around amimals my whole life but I have never had a cat do this to me. It dont really really hurt as she dont put all her jaw power in to it but by all means this sure dont feel good either. If anyone has any clue what she is trying to tell me that would be great. Also wanted to add she is purring when she does this. thanks for your time reading this and sorry its so long.

-Angie

Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Grandma Gravy Hair

Just wanted to add now that this is something she is doing alot to me now. About one -two times a day.

Angie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

umm discipline her, say NO biting. it doesn't matter why she is doing it so much, you don't like it so tell her to stop. If it's for dominence then you need to show her you are boss, and if its affection, that doesn't sound fun

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Grandma Gravy Hair

Thanks for your reply, I have been disciplining her nagitive behavour and yelling no when she does it or is just about to do it. I think she is starting to understand i dont like it as i yell NO and then take her off me and agnore her for like 5min at a time. (she hates that) I just thought if i can understand why she does this I can discipline her in a way that would fit the crime. like if its for dominence i can show her im the boss and if its affection i could devert her attention to a more positive affection that we both can enjoy. Thanks again for the reply.

Angie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

the only time my cat ever bites my mouth is if i talk to him and he gets annoyed he also puts a paw on my mouth to shut me up. he's a nasty boy. cute and love able though.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Part of the Pack

You have to discipline if you don't like it. Saying no, moving her, whatever works.

I think it could be both dominance and affection. Same way some cats will scratch with the sides of their mouth against us is affectionate, but they are also marking territory with their scent, although I never heard of it the way you are describing.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.