Kitten Care Info? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Kitten Care Info?

I got a new kitten (I posted pics in a different thread, but wanted to start one up for care info) and I really have no idea if I'm doing everything I need to be doing for her. She got her first set of shots today, and she goes back in 2 weeks for the next set. She's been dewormed because she has roundworms. She's Fe Leuk negative (YAY!). I'm mixing her old food with Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Kitten food so she doesn't get an upset tummy. I gave her a bath in kitten safe flea shampoo from the vet. I'm going to start her on flea treatment on the first, when I give my dogs their next dose (unless I see fleas on her). I have her food in one spot, scratching thingy and bed in another and litter box in another, but all in the same room. After she eats or wakes up, or if it's been a while since she's pottied, I put her in the litterbox to relieve herself (she's already made two piddles). It's been about 8 years since I've had a kitten, and she's the only cat I have now, so I want to make sure I remembered it all. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

On a side note, she reminds me SO much of a cat I use to have. My dog, Pooters, doesn't really like cats. He was attacked by a cat of mine back when he was a pup and never has forgotten it. Tonight he was laying under a blanket and Saphira curled up on top of him on the top of the blanket. He was growling, but she was purring and "making dough". Smokey Jr. use to do that too. He didn't care that the dog hated him. He was determined to be friends. Pooters would nip at him (he's a Chi who literally has no front teeth) and Smokey would roll over and purr. Saphira has even taken to one of the bigger dogs. She's not allowed near Angel until she's a lot bigger though, because Angel is big and stupid and may accidently hurt her. And you should've seen Saphira playing with the ferret. LOL!

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!

How old is she?

Basic things... you may want to enclose her in a room so she learns where the litter box is and that she needs to use it.

Don't use your hands as toys.

Watch for runny eyes, nose. Open mouth breathing etc..

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

She's 11 weeks old. She is confined to a 48 inch dog crate when I'm not home. I've kitten proofed as much as possible, but there are still too many hazards for her to be out when I'm not home. Her toys consist of those little mice and a cat teaser. Can I put litter pans in two different places, or will that confuse her?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

no having 2 litter boxes won't confuse her, but moving the boxes around alot might. Also don't clean them out too often, as having the smell may clue her in to using it.

[/CENTER]