Kitten Cough - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Kitten Cough

Hello everybody,
My new baby, Pixel, has had a vicious cough for the three weeks we've had her. She just goes into these gravelly coughing fits that disrupt her eating, playing and sleeping. Sometimes some substance will come up in her mouth, but she just swallows it and keeps coughing.
We've taken her to the vet twice. The first time, we were told it was probably just a hairball she couldn't get up. So we tried every hairball remedy we could find (hairball food, brushing every night, vaseline on the paws, spoonfuls of pumpkin, etc), but nothing helped. Our next trip to the vet was two days ago, and we were told it probably *wasn't* a hairball because she's too young for them (11 weeks). Instead, we were told to "just wait it out." However, to me, three weeks seems like we've already waited it out, and I'm starting to get really worried. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 12:50 PM

How but a cat scan? Maybe theres something stuck in her tummy? Maybe this link can help you?

http://www.allpets.com/petcyclopedia...ic.asp?id=1089
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh my goodness, that doesn't sound good at all! I would be worried, too, if the vet kept telling me that. Is there somewhere else where you can get a second opinion? Does she seem congested as well? Eyes/Nose runny? It sounds like it possibly could be Bordatella, Kennel Cough in cats. I found this link with some information on it.

http://www.fanciers.com/other-faqs/bordetella.html

Does she have any symptoms like this? It is treated with antibiotics. I would get her to another vet asap. I hope everything is ok. Let us know how she is doing.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks so much for that link. It sounds exactly like what she has.
Now I have to decide if I should go back to that vet or try another one...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Miss New Booty

Your welcome. Did you end up finding another vet to take her to? Keep us posted! I'm thinking about your Pixel and I hope everything is ok.

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I found a new vet. It's a cats only vet, which I highly recommend. I didn't realize how little my regular vet knew about cats until I found this place. My old vet refused to look at the video footage I had recorded of Pixel coughing, and she also refused to test her for Bordatella. And she didn't want to test for anything else either. The new vet offered us a few different things to try. There hasn't been a diagnosis yet, but Pixel is going in for three treatments next week to clear out her lungs. Thanks for your concern.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Miss New Booty

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad you found a new vet, he/she sounds great! I can't believe your other vet didn't even want to test for Bordatella!!! I hope you can get some definate answers and that Pixel starts feeling back to her normal self!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 05:49 PM

I'm glad to hear you found a vet that sounds a little more compitent Keep us updated on how she is doing!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:23 PM

I would ask your vet for caugh meds, or look up what ppl caugh meds are good with kittens and how much to give her! Good luck. Let us know of any updates!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

After three nebulization treatments, Pixel is finally all better! She hasn't coughed at all in the last three days. Before that, she was having coughing fits every one or two hours. Thank you everyone for your help and support, I really appreciate it!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 09:03 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha elise
Hello everybody,
My new baby, Pixel, has had a vicious cough for the three weeks we've had her. She just goes into these gravelly coughing fits that disrupt her eating, playing and sleeping. Sometimes some substance will come up in her mouth, but she just swallows it and keeps coughing.
We've taken her to the vet twice. The first time, we were told it was probably just a hairball she couldn't get up. So we tried every hairball remedy we could find (hairball food, brushing every night, vaseline on the paws, spoonfuls of pumpkin, etc), but nothing helped. Our next trip to the vet was two days ago, and we were told it probably *wasn't* a hairball because she's too young for them (11 weeks). Instead, we were told to "just wait it out." However, to me, three weeks seems like we've already waited it out, and I'm starting to get really worried. Any suggestions?
Hi Natasha! I am glad that Pixel is now better...

Last edited by PURPLEBUNNY; 11-12-2004 at 09:08 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Miss New Booty

That's such great news!!!!! Thanks for the update! I'm so glad Pixel is feeling so much better!! So glad you found a new vet, too! Can't wait to see some pictures of her!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:17 PM

What an awful vet (the first one) Glad you found another one. We had a kitten with a bad cough just for a couple of days. The kitten ended up with aspirated pnemonia it was terrible.

Glad to hear your kitty is getting proper treatment!

Tags
kennel cough, regular vet