Kitten proofing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Kitten proofing

Saphira is big enough now that I'm not going to cage her anymore when I'm not home. I'm going to let her stay in my bedroom when I'm gone. What do I need to do to make it safe for her? How do I kitten proof cords because I have a lot of electronics in my room?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM
It's all for them

Unplug everything.

Play with her for a long time before you leave her, so she will be less likely to get into mischief and will just sleep while you are gone.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Part of the Pack

I've wondered if putting all your cords in PVC pipes would work?! Out of nine cats, only 1 of ours chewed cords. And thankfully, she outgrew it! The rabbit, though...that was a different story! LOL

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

For kitten proofing...

Remove everything off of shelves (unless you like broken things). Store anything that can be ripped such as books, paper, foam. Scour everywhere for stuff like rubber bands, twist ties, paper clips, staples, pens, etc. And safely store them. If you have anything that can be snuck into (bed, dresser, etc.) make sure she can get OUT safely, otherwise, pull those things away from the wall to allow easier access.

For electronics the easiest would be to store them when you're not there and unplug everything else. But if you're worried about chewing (and since some things shouldn't or can't be unplugged) you can insert the cords into PVC pipe or those electronic cord protector things you can buy at home improvement stores.

If you have an area rug it might be a good idea to store that until she gets older as well. My Pica cat, Sugar, chews on the foam protector for my bedroom area rug (as well as the downstairs rug, it's ratty so it has a lot of strings). Anything that generates heat (space heater) should be turned off or placed in a place the cat can't touch it. Registers should be safely secured and if you don't have a grate for the hole, covered securely. If you have curtains with strings, those strings should be hidden. Curtains that are fabric may be ripped by enthusiastic play so looping them around the rod could be a good solution.

Um... I'm trying to think of other things in a bedroom but am coming up blank...

Generally, for kittens, the idea is anything you don't want destroyed, don't leave out. :p

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Things to keep locked away from cats or kittens are candy and certain medicines.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Newborn Pup

My cat was a bad chewer for a while, I put a mixture of hotsauce and water on cords so that he wouldn't chew. I also gave him toys made to be chewed. He gave up pretty quickly.

Try just letting her loose and "ignoring" her to see what she does when no one is paying attention, you might get clues as to what she is interested in. Make sure she has lots of toys to play with and praise her when you see her playing with those toys.

Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Part of the Pack

Forgot to mention potted plants, too...some are poison, but even if they're not, they will surely play in the dirt or knock them over and break the pot! I had one cat who had been abandoned at the house we moved in to, and the poor guy had been living out of garbage cans until we got there...after we took him in, he STILL was so used to scavenging, we had to put childproof cabinet locks on our cabinets because he would get in there and rip boxes open, or packages, etc. Had to get a trash can with a locking lid.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~