Kitten Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Question

My friend has offered me a cute little black kitten. The mother was a stray and i'm just wondering will the kitten be shy and always wandering off because of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

erm I'm not actually sure....how old is the kitten?

An rud is fhaich a dheanamh, 's fhaich e a deanamh ceart!

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the **** alone.

It's great to get back to nature. But instead of taking off all you clothes and running down the high street, why not 'become' a fruit? To achieve this, put some weird floaty music on, lie down, relax and say to yourself, "I am an apple. I am an apple. I can feel the wind brush against me as I hang in the tree." In no time at all you'll find that the worries of the day will melt away, and your only concern will be whether you're about to be turned into a pie.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

If raised in a loving, calm and understanding environment, I think every cat (even some ferals) have the potential to be great pets.

Because it's a KITTEN, you are virtually getting a blank slate--meaning that how you raise the kitten will have a big effect on its personality. So, if raised with love, understanding and patience, I think the kitten will not be shy.

As for "wandering off", cats wander for a plethora of reasons. Keeping you cat inside means they will not wander off. If you allow your cat to go outside, spaying/neutering them will DECREASE the chances of them wandering off but will not totally prevent it. The only way to totally prevent a cat from wandering off is to keep them indoors.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Title Spy

My cat came from a stray mother and he's the biggest marshmallow ever. He doesn't even attempt to get outside. You can open the door and he'll just sit there. He's definitely not shy either; if he wants attention, he'll get it He's just a great cat. Like pihlaja said, the kitten is pretty much a blank slate. If you want the kitten to live strictly indoors, I would be pretty strict about making sure they never ever get out. I've found that once they get out, they get a taste for it and keep trying to get out.

Good luck!

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

unless they get out in 5 inches of snow! Millie won't even try to go out anymore after being stuck outside for 30 minutes in the snow. Actually she was in the neighbor's recycle bin so she was never in the snow but it did scare her.
My roomie had a cat that was a stray and she was ok. she was older when we got her though so it was a little bit more of a struggle. Good luck.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:52 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

No, all kittens are very moldable. They will become a great cat if raised in a loving home. A good cat or a bad cat will not be based on the mother. Just what the surroundings teach her while growing up. If she is to become a good cat, you must love her, like any animal, even if they are an adult, as long as they feel love and are well cared for any pet can be a wonderful animal!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Most all the time cats young, even up to a few years are impressionable and can be tamed down. Still a kitten it'll most likely be quite friendly. However, cats like to wander to some extent just as a rule. So, keep her inside where she's safe and watch the door. Kitties will find a way out if they want it bad enough.

There is a slim chance she won't tame down... we had two really young kittens, barely weened we brought in to tame down. But we saw the lack of desire and hesitance of human interaction early on. This is the first time in my whole life of having barn cats and house cats that I had ever seen kittens handled and still being nervous around the people they see everyday.

I think you'll be just fine with the young little black fluff ball.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

hi again! Thanks for the help but I have another question. If the kitten is outdoor only will this cause any problems?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:19 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

No! She will get used to being a indoor kitten/cat! I had resued may street cats and even they get used to life indoors. There are some cats who are stubborn and will still try to sneak out, but not with kittens. How old is the kitten?

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

i think as long as you start young she will be ok. we found one of our cats outside--she was part of a litter the people didn't want to deal with so they dumped them outside--and she is one of the most lovable cats i've seen. she also has no interest in outside. on a nice day the other two might try to sneek outside but not minnie.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Playful Pup

Our Dulcie was found in a local village churchyard when she was very very tiny. Parents unknown. She's turned out fine, in fact she's been my hero and my best friend for the last 13 years.