Kitten Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Kitten Question

Well as you all know I have had my foster kittens for 5 days now and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

(1)Litter Box - we bought a small little box for them, but big enough that they can both go and have room to move if you get what I mean.Right now we're using 'yesterdays news' good?Something else we should be using?

(2)Food and feeding - Right now they are eating Iams wet and dry and I can't really change that because its what the shelter uses,but they're to little for treat right?We got them one of those bowls that are attached but we're getting them new on because someone always sitting in the water.

(3)Toys - 3 type of toys plastic balls with bell,soft fish thing, and a round rough-ish type thing.We don't let them have anything except the balls (big ones) when we're not watching them.

(4)Bitting-They bite we've been trying to get them to bite toys instead of us and you don't use our hands a toys, anyother way to stop them without having to carry toys around all the time?

(5)A collar or harness- Is it safe to buy them a little collar or harness with a bell to wear only when their out playing so we know where they are because sometimes they run behind stuff and what not.Plus should we get them use to wearing them so a future owner will have no trouble?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

I would add a second litter box.It may not matter now,but a general rule is to have a box per cat.Some people even have a box per cat,plus an extra one.

Yesterday's News is fine.I personally never used that for my cat (I have used it for rodents).But I think different litter brands are really up to the person and the cat! Some cats get picky and won't use certain litters.But other then that,whatever you find works for you.I use a clumping,scoopable clay litter and never had issues.

You may not find collars that fit! I couldn't get a collar on Hatchet until he was 7 months old! He is 9 months now.Because they were always too big for his neck...even the adjustable.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Frahnz has a collar, we found one at our local small pet store, its so tiny and fits really good, it also breaks away easily. I am also one who was taught a litter box per cat and then we always had the extra one in the bathroom. We give Frahnze treats, he comes running like a crazy cat if you shack his kitty crack lol, hes been getting his treats since we got him at 7 weeks.

I feed Chicken soup for the kittens and I am not to sure about it yet lol...this little man poops like 10 times a day, vet says its normal lol but I wonder if its the food...I used it because it is a really good brand and its what my strays get as well as my dogs lol...I know you can't change, and Iams is just fine...they make tiny little soft treats if you want to give them any.

Frahnze has so many store bought toys, his favs are the little mice, but mostly he plays with our shoes, the dogs tail or any empty bag or box lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh yeah,I was giving Hatchet soft "Pounce" treats when I first got him.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

OK thanks I can't really put another litter box in right now because then they won't have anymore room.

I actually found ittys bittys collars today so they are both wear little pink collars till bed time.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

And another question.Whats a good safe cleaner to use in their cage to clean the floor?Right now I'm using diluted vinager and water and wiping it up and if the floor need poop scrubbed off it I use a little baking soda with the mix.

Anything better to use?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

See extra tiny collar

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

lol I love the tiny collars...Frahnz's is orange with rhinstones and a tiny bell (ash wanted an orange one to match his coloring lol)

I am not sure on the cleaning stuff, my cat has never gotten any out of the litter box, but I would think what your doing is fine...

Your babies are just so cute

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would actually only use one litter box because if you get them to both use one litter box, in the future the new pet owner shouldn't have any problems with them sharing if they have cats, and not all people have more than one.

Our cats share and its fine.

It sounds like you are doing great

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

Actually many cats can become quite picky and in the cat forums I am in,everyone has a box per cat and some have extras.If you have levels in your house,it is good to have a box on each level...especially for kittens,as they cannot hold their bladders/bowels for long.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

They don't have free run of the house as they're in their kennel so I can't really fit another litter box in,but everything is going fine for now.They just make sure they bury each others poop before they go.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Quote:
(4)Bitting-They bite we've been trying to get them to bite toys instead of us and you don't use our hands a toys, anyother way to stop them without having to carry toys around all the time?
Yeah my 12 week old kittens do this and BOY its sore! LOL
What i do is make a loud AT noise or something and they know what it means but yeah i need advice on that. LOL

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."

Tags
kaede, kittens, questions, sumaii