Kitten questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Kitten questions

Sorry for all the questions I just keep thinking of more as I think of more I'll add on to this. I've never had a kitten and want to do everything right

How do you litter train a kitten? her mommy is indoor outdoor so she wont teach her to go potty in the litter box.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

just keep putting her in the littre box, and everytime u do take her paw and make her scratch the littre. she will pick up they are really easy to train.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

once she is worm free should I put her waste in it so she gets her scent? I've heard of it but I dont know lol

Proud Mommy to-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Betta Bomb

Her mom doesn't have an indoor litter box? She might imitate what to do inside for them. They will poop inside and wherever and she should come by and 'bury' it. Mama language is pretty effective.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

as far as i know the mom is not litter trained and does not have a litter box since he doesnt want to bother with it. I have two other cats is there a chance they will teach her?

Proud Mommy to-

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Betta Bomb

Hm. Hard to say. If mama cat isn't using litter boxes then there's a chance she is ill. Cats are by nature very clean animals and if they don't use a box they usually pee in the same spot unless they are ill.

That said, my sister's cat Illusion came from some hickish BYB fool who let her cats outside all the time. The mama cat didn't have fair chance to teach hr babies the litter box habits bc they were being sold off too early. Anything before 8 weeks is too early. Ideally 12 weeks is when kittens are fully weaned but by then they're not as cute :/ Anyway, so Illusion never learned how to cover his poo in the litter box. When we adopted Mama, she was after rearing 2 kittens of her own and I watched her with my own eyes teach them how to scratch their litter. When she was put in with Illusion (Looshy was neutered and Mama was spayed and both mom and my sister lived together) you would see Mama just come along a while after Illusion went and scratch it up. She could never teach him and we also failed. We tried to take his paw and scratch it but it didn't work. Illusion is 4 now with bad litter habits.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

The mom cat doesnt have a litter box to use. being a mostly outdoor cat he doesnt keep one. So there is no way for her to use the litter box.

Also with them learning to walk he puts them outside I have often seen them killed by dogs or run over by dogs She'll be put outside at 4 weeks I cant risk waiting past 6 since her chances of making it arent so great once she is outside they live right next to a busy road ... In the country ( Ironic huh)

Also we have two cats if she is gotten young Tribble Can teach her all her Kitteny things. Baggy never learned that either he also scrathed everything but his litter lol. But he does use the box both do.

I would love to leave her with her mommy but usually by 12 weeks half the litter is gone.

Proud Mommy to-

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Betta Bomb

Well best of luck then
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I know it seems irresponsible but I want the best for her

Proud Mommy to-

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:37 AM
It's all for them

Cats are fastidious and your kitten will know what to do with a littler box.

When she is little she may, like any child, have trouble getting to the box in time so make sure there is a litter box nearby. And she might have trouble climbing over a tall one, so make sure you have a low sided box for her.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

It may seem cruel but for the first week she will be confined to my room if she has worms. I want them out of her system first and I am always home. and I am ordering just a cheap little low litter box for her since our litter box is massive and our other cats need to use a litter box too lol

Proud Mommy to-

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 AM
It's all for them

NO that isn't cruel at all. My kitten also spent her first week separated from my other cats.

With three cats though, once she is integrated you are going to need at least three litter boxes, and four would be better.

When you put her in her room with her little littler box, put her right in the litter box. You can put a little used litter from your other cats' boxes in with the fresh litter to help her understand that that spot is the bathroom spot.

As long as she is at least 8 weeks old, she will most likely know what to do. If she does miss, sprinkle some litter over the pee to absorb it, sweep it up, and put it all in the litter box. She will smell her pee in there, and know what to do from then on.

Since you are concerned about parasites, I agree with you to not do that with her poop, you want to scoop and remove parasitic poop immediately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

We only have one litter box for two and have never had an issue why so many litter boxes? We only have an apartment. And she will only be 6 weeks I have to take her early. But I'm going to talk to the vet to make sure she acclimates the best she can.

Btw the kittens were born this morning

Proud Mommy to-

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 AM
It's all for them

Many cats prefer one litter box to poop and one to pee.

Cats also do not like to use dirty boxes. Some cats don't like to "share" meaning, if there is another cat's pee or poop in the box, they won't use it.

This can lead to inappropriate eliminations or health issues (holding pee can cause UTIs and kidney problems, holding poop can cause constipation and megacolon)

The "rule of thumb" is one box per cat plus one. One cat, two boxes, two cats three boxes and so on. Unless you want to spend every minute of the day scooping litter, one box for three cats is not going to be enough.

I am assuming there is some specific reason you are taking the kitten so young, so I won't lecture on that () until I know why you are doing this. Kittens that young can have a lot of socialization and behavior problems. Luckily you have other cats, so perhaps she won't have too much trouble learning how to be a proper cat.

I live in a tiny one bedroom apartment. I have four cats and five litter boxes, all kept in the same corner, I made a platform from plastic shelving, so they are on two levels. Three on top and two underneath.

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

She is from a home that at 4 weeks throw them outside. They are left to fend for themselves with help from their mom they live near a main road and dogs run loose. And that's the short story. I would love if the home was safe enough to leave her longer. Hmm our cats don't mind sharing at all I'll keep two and add if neccessary those two share and she can have the other one. She is moving out with us in 6 months

We'll see how it goes I just don't want to buy a bunch of litter boxes dad will just put in storage

Proud Mommy to-