Kitten Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Kitten Questions

I have a litter of four kittens they are about 2 and half weeks old i know that when they are younger the nest box should be dark and warm. I am wondering when do i stop using the heating pad and when do i allow them in the light full time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

kittens will leave the nesting box on there own. do u have the momma or are u bottle feeding them ? they dont need to be in the dark at all times. I definetly dont suggest using a heating pad as it can over heat and burn there little tummies.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:20 PM
canis lupus familiaris

I agree be VERY careful with heating pads. I used a homemade rice pad and put a heating pad under it. I only kept it on for about 3 hours and then turned it off. Rice helps keep in heat. If you have momma, you need not worry about extra heat.

But yes kitties will come out on their own. I don't know about keeping them in the dark all the time. Never heard that. If they're on the bottle, I feel them in a fairly well lit area so I can see when they go potty and then put them back in the dark (dark meaning covered area...not pitch black.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
I agree be VERY careful with heating pads. I used a homemade rice pad and put a heating pad under it. I only kept it on for about 3 hours and then turned it off. Rice helps keep in heat. If you have momma, you need not worry about extra heat.

But yes kitties will come out on their own. I don't know about keeping them in the dark all the time. Never heard that. If they're on the bottle, I feel them in a fairly well lit area so I can see when they go potty and then put them back in the dark (dark meaning covered area...not pitch black.)

yea, the nest box is in a dark quiet room, i bring them in the living room to feed the i am just wondering around what age can they regulate their own body temperature and when can i let them free for play in a small bathroom.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

if there walking on there own then they can play and generate there own body heat.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
kittens will leave the nesting box on there own. do u have the momma or are u bottle feeding them ? they dont need to be in the dark at all times. I definetly dont suggest using a heating pad as it can over heat and burn there little tummies.

Sorry, I didnt see your post before, they have no mama, they are about two and half weeks old, the nest box is in my room i just have a tall cardboard box with something covering the top, they have been walking around shakily i just didnt know if they were old enough play on thier own, i have four of them i had to have the runt put down.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they won't really play yet, but they can walk around more now, in the next 2 weeks they will be little balls of energy learning to use their legs.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I cant wait they are getting so big, this is my first time fostering kittens so i had more than a few questions lol.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Playful Pup

Congrats on the little fuzzballs!
I agree with Blacksheep about the rice pads. When I had kittens I stuffed old socks with rice and sewed or tied the tops. Every few hours I heated them up in the microwave, and if it is too hot you can cover it with a washcloth or another sock so they don't get burned. Make sure you put the heating pad or rice pads on one side of the box only. This way, if a kitten gets too hot they can move away from it. As they get older they won't need any extra heat, usually around the same time that they are ready to leave the nest to play.

As far as playtime, the kittens will let you know when they are ready to leave the nest and explore. It won't be for a while yet, but when they begin to walk and their eyes are open. They won't spend as much time huddled together, and they may begin walking the perimeter of the box looking to get out and investigate =]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgleek27 View Post
Congrats on the little fuzzballs!
I agree with Blacksheep about the rice pads. When I had kittens I stuffed old socks with rice and sewed or tied the tops. Every few hours I heated them up in the microwave, and if it is too hot you can cover it with a washcloth or another sock so they don't get burned. Make sure you put the heating pad or rice pads on one side of the box only. This way, if a kitten gets too hot they can move away from it. As they get older they won't need any extra heat, usually around the same time that they are ready to leave the nest to play.

As far as playtime, the kittens will let you know when they are ready to leave the nest and explore. It won't be for a while yet, but when they begin to walk and their eyes are open. They won't spend as much time huddled together, and they may begin walking the perimeter of the box looking to get out and investigate =]
yea they are about three weeks old, they are already walking around the box and have the eyes open the walking is getting less and less shaky every day. They are now starting to play with each other a little bit.

Tags
exercise, kitten, play