Kittens - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Kittens

I saved 2 tiny kittens out of Ira's parent's motor home. I think they're about 2-3 weeks judging by weight, but their poor little bellies are empty and I don't know how long it's been since they've eaten I found some recipies online for emergency formula and made it, but now I can't get them to take any! I'm going to get a syringe right now and try that but if anyone else has suggestions, please let me hear em! Next question is do you think they can go to the bathroom by themselves or am I going to have to help? Thats it for now, I'll be back after I get a syringe and try again. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

I got them to eat!!! There is one long hair grey kitty who is more alert and frisky, and a black & white one that is really lethargic I have no idea how they even survived out there! It's well over 100 degrees outside and they were in this tiny little space in the the motor home. So, bellies are full, now I need to figure out the potty situation...
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 08:16 PM

Wipe their little private areas with a warm cloth or cotton ball to help stimulate them. Do you have any nutrical? They can have a little of that too. Are their eyes open?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Their eyes are open and they can walk although they're really wobbly. They have teeth (that grey one bites!). Should I wait a while or do it right after they eat? Keep doing it until I get results?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 08:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh my gosh Becki! I can't offer any help- but wanted to tell you that I think you are incredible...those babies are so lucky you saved them.
Good luck with them - they must be sooo cute.
You're an

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Deja, they are adorable! I hope I can keep them going!

I tried wiping them with a warm damp cloth (I don't have any cotton balls) but nothing happened! Should they go every time? How long should I keep trying? I kept trying about 3-4 minutes each, and nothing happened that I could tell. Their bellies were empty before I fed them though, so maybe nothing's gone all the way through yet? I don't know what to do right now, will they be ok if they don't go potty right now?
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 08:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Becki- I am going to go search and see if I can find a good site with information on rescue of newborn kittens... I'll re-post again with a URL -
Maybe I can find something helpful...

[center]

[
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Deja (again, lol) I found a page that has a calendar of what happens at what ages for kittens. I'm thinking they might be as old as 5 weeks (ears open, eyes open, have baby teeth, can wobble aroung...) If that's the case, they should be able to potty by themselves, and start eating solid food. If anyone else would like to see it, here's the link, it's pretty interesting. Gonna go see if I can find some more, just to be sure...
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

OK... I found some information...

This one has lots of Links and Info - Caring for Orphan Kittens

This is a FAQ with info about emptying the bowels etc...

This page looks good... lots of info....

Again- lots of info - and directions

Handbook - with several formula recipes

Becki, one of the pages I glanced through did mention that it may take a day or so for the bowels to get moving?
Wow... you're amazing... keep posting when you can... keep us updated!

[center]

[
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Awesome links, thank you so much! I think we're doing it right but keep your fingers crossed for the little black one I'll be back to update after they eat again
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Good Luck!! I've got everything crossed I'll be pulling for them both!!

[center]

[
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:42 PM

Oh Becki you are such an angel to those poor kitties. You are just amazing attending to the kitties & finding time to run to the pc & post. I'll keep my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for the little ones. Do keep us posted.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:09 PM

If you want to see if they will start eating solid food, mix the formula in with some wet kitten food and make it a mushy gross mess. If you notice them eating it you can slowly lessen the amount of formula and then give them just wet food. If they eat that then I would start to mix in a little bit of dry food and moisten it up with wet and slowly add more dry food in. Also get a little low sided litter box and put them in it. If they have survived that long their mother has probably already shown them how to go to the bathroom on their own. Since stimulation didn't work immediately then they might be just fine on their own bathroom wise.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!! They ate again, still no potty though :-/ I wonder when I should start to worry if I don't see any? Tomorrow I'm off to walmart to get some real KMR and kitten food and litter/box. I'll let you guys know how they're doing tomorrow
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:33 AM

OMG Becki, good luck! You are doing a wondeful thing!

Tags
doing fine, dry food, kitten food, litter box, local shelter, wet food