Kittens - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 07:25 AM
Jorgha

Talking Kittens

We have three new members to our cat family. Our one cat, Spam, had her kittens last night. There is a white one with grey dalmation spots and a stripped tail, a grey and white stripped one, and a black, grey and white stripped one (just like mom and dad )

I find myself wondering how many of them are going to be named after food now.

Discovered last week that our other female cat, Fuzzy (technically her name is Fuzzy Noodles...don't ask), is pregnant as well.

Keep thinking I really need to get Servo (our male) neutered but I don't want him turning into the baseket case that Whiskers is. That cat has gone totaly neurotic since we had him done. Need to find a new vet for him as well. All the vet that we have now keeps doing is shaving him where the hotspots can dry up where he keeps licking instead of doing something for the poor cat (antidepressants maybe). But that is another story all together.

Georga

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 08:12 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Congradulations on the new baby's
My cat Toby got really big after he was nueterd too LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 08:15 AM

Congrats on the new additions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 12:27 PM
Jorgha

Runt ~ not big (Whiskers has always been a big kitty ~ goes between 10 and 15 lbs), neurotic.

Right after we had him casterated all he has done is lick himself untill he has hot spots. The cat has just turned into a total basket case and needs kitty antidepressants or something. I feel really bad for him and have been afraid to get any of the other cats "fixed" (no, they are not broke, they work just fine~ I hate that term) since he reacted so badly to it all. It has been almost a year and he still licks and licks and licks and it drives me nuts.

Georga

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 01:46 PM
Bones

find a new vet!!!!!

ASAP! find one who will do a vasectomy rather than a castration. it is less traumatizing on a male, (i don't care species!) that vet sounds like he doesn't know his @ from a hole in the ground. get whiskers to another vet, soon and explain what you posted. before getting any others neutered. it sounds like a long term low grade infection to me. and i have the training to be an EMT (paramedic). i am no longer certified, but once a medic, always a medic. please take this seriously. the vet shaving the cat is just making it a million times worse. catlady did cat rescue and agrees and says... the vet medicine version of pennicillin is EXACTLY the same as the version pediatricians give small children. when i ran out once, my neighbor gave me the left over from her son's ilness and i gave 5cc of it to a sick ADULT cat, he responded the same as if i had gotten it from the vet(who was closed that day). so i know it works. get access to "book of the cat", and "the cat book" those are what i used. my vet borrowed them as well! he was almost an md, before he decided he liked animals more. anyway, this is what i would be doing in your situation. GET A BETTER VET. quickly. check out their office w/o bringing an animal in, just to see how it feels. btw, sorry to forget- congrats on the kittens! don't take them to bad vet!!! (/end rant)---catlady

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 02:52 PM
Jorgha

I got your PM. Thanks. I had this huge responce to you and couldn't send it because it was to long. Hee hee.

I better explain something here. I went to school for veterinary technology and used to work for a vet before I had children (people seem to forget that and treat me like I don't have a clue). Antibiotics don't work. We have been down that road two or three times now after the vet has shaved him. Charged us a crap load of money for the visit, shaving him, drugs, blah blah blah and it doesn't help.

This is the same cat who NEVER sprayed anything while intact (the biggest "problem" with him before he was casterated was all the kittens we had. LOL), never fought with any of the other male cats, would not go outside for any reason (and we laugh now about the irony of the one time he did go outside), and was just a totaly mellow cat couch potato. This is the same cat that my oldest daughter treats like a dog and comes when he is called (now how many cats do that? hee hee). Has never eaten table food (won't touch it even if he was starving), wouldn't know what to do with a mouse if it came up in bit him in the butt. Just has always acted very non-catlike.

I had him casterated mainly because we didn't want a ton more of kittens, and I couldn't argue with the vet and his medical logic on why it shouldn't be done. But all the while I had a bad feeling about having it done. Leave it to me to have the one cat that went neurotic from it all. (not that our other male cat is normal either...he sleeps in the garbage can with the garbage and has this thing with his tail. I don't know how else to describe it, but it is almost like the thing makes him paranoid. Goofy animal.)

Anyway. we are looking for a new vet.
There were two doctors in the practice where we were going and when I would go in there with the cat I would see one dr. but my husband always seen the other one with the same cat. Go figure. My husband has nothing nice to say about the one that he delt with (and I think she is the one that did the surgery) but I liked the other one. He was nice enough and all...however, he had that complex that most drs in general have that "since you are in my office you don't know anything" and seemed really shocked when I could talk back to him and ask questions using all his $2 medical words.

Thanks again.
Georga

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 03:06 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I never had any trouble like that with Toby.But almost lost Callie.The vet did them both the same day.I picked them up and brought them home.Callie was acting funny all afternoon but ate a little.by morning she was starting to get worse I thought it might of been from the anstetic that might of made her feel bad.I was wrong when I got home from work I had to rush her back.He gave said some tech stuff and had to go back in>i think he messed something up inside her any way she is fine now and I will never use that vet again

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 11:51 PM

Congrats on ur bunch of kitties, sorry to here about your poor crazy boy cat.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2002, 12:07 AM
Bones

as we didn't know your background we gave the most simple basic info we could. you never know who knows what on the web. sorry if we seemed condescending. if the medicines are not working, you can always try what my grandfther suggested to several of his patients:
step 1; get yourself a chicken,
step 2; pluck(err... you don't need that step)
step 3; fill a pot with water,add chicken and
step 4; cook it til it's done. give the patient some good old fashioned jewish pennicillin. (don't add salt for the cat. (but you knew that.)

i've seen it cure several species. (including of all things chickens)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
above by bones below by catlady
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
all my cats came when called, i was raised with dogs. my cats thought they were people. so had the dogs. herbs may help also. one neighbor used goldenseal on ten kids,three dogs,17 puppies,cats (too many to count), rats, and mice,the snake never got sick. and ,oh yeah, her husband (hippie family)

Tags
male cat