kittens on table - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

kittens on table

Well as you all know, i have kittens... monsters i tell you... how do i keep them off my kitchen table.. i think its cute but my boyfriend doesnt like it.. they can get up there in a blink of an eye.. how do i stop it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Cats generally may jump on the table their whole life. However, you can decrease how much and when they do get up you don't have to run over and put them on the floor. Start being assertive now. I started just by using a stern, low voice saying 'get down' and at first I would kinda push 'em to the edge and make them jump off. It will probably take a while but eventually they should get the idea. You yelling like that means get down. Sometimes I clap loudly after I've said it, gets their attention and say it again.

Otherwise I've heard of, squirt bottles, double sided tape... things with beads or rocks in them on the edge that when they jump up it falls over and makes a loud noise...

Whatever method you choose you need to start now and stick to it. If it takes a while, okay, their kittens and they wanna do lots things. They'll eventually learn they shouldn't do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Mine know 'the look' accompanied by their name in a very disapproving tone. Clapping helps me when they are new and don't yet know 'the look'. That said, when you're not home, the table will be fair game

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My kitties get on our table. I don't even TRY to keep them off of it anymore. At first my husband tried to raise a fuss, but I told him it's my kitchen, my table, and my kitties. We don't eat much on it, anyway (and even when we do, there's usually a cat sitting at the other end ).

However, I DO NOT like them on the counters (more specifically, the counters by the stove). I use a squirt gun to get them off. Though, you should know now that unless you use something like the sticky mats, they'll jump on the table when you're not around and can't squirt them. It's the kitty way of life.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've heard coating the surface in tin foil works. After the kitty jumps on it a few times she never wants to go back.

Of course, Pixel is the queen of our house, so I've never actually tried it!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha elise
I've heard coating the surface in tin foil works. After the kitty jumps on it a few times she never wants to go back.
Our cats LOVE playing with tin foil (the shineyness and the crackle sounds drive them wild) so I don't think that would ever work with them.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I have had milko on our dining table twice. Both times he got sprayed with water until he jumped off. I don't think he'll try to get up there much....he is at the stage now where you just show him the water bottle and he stops what he is doing, he knows it's wrong. Milko hates tin foil so you can try it if you want!!! I'm going to use it on our kitchen counters if he ever tries to get up there.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:53 AM

I only have one cat that jumps on my kitchen counters and its usually just by the sink. Theres always some microbe of food in that sink that she will inevitably find so its a constant battle. Otherwise my kitties are perfect angels.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
Otherwise my kitties are perfect angels.
Yeah, when you're looking.

Just kidding, Dena!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 06:21 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well Tator was trained with a water bottle, and now that she is going on 2, we have no problems with her, Bubbles and Pickles are a little more difficult. Bubbles runs from the site of the water bottle, but tends to go back afterwards, where Pickles will glare at ya with the look of "go ahead spray me, I dare ya, I know where you sleep"
But for the most part the spraying with a water bottle does work if your consistant with it

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 08:22 AM
sn3
Newborn Pup

A squirt bottle works great - and it won't harm the cat.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:22 PM

Kim, my two cats are like Pickles and Bubbles! Galina FLIES at the sight of the water bottle, and, like Pickles, Gerona has the infamous stare-down with you.

The problem I have with the water bottle is that my cats more often than not turn it into a game. "Let's see how long I can be bad before that woman TRIES to squirt me..."

I still use it, though, because it IS a good correction tool.

(However, when I start squirting the cats, Seamus runs up to me and jumps up and down like he's saying, "Oh! Oh! Squirt me! Squirt me!")

― Rowan

I've been frosted!