Kitty Asthma - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Kitty Asthma

Hey guys,
Well my baby Snuggles has had a cough for a few months.. The vet kept thinking it was a hairball, i said no i just didnt think so, it sounded weezy and gurgly. She had put him on antibiotics, with no results. So last week, I had the Xray done...and it came back with some kitty asthma! She gave him a shot of cortizone/steriod stuff, and he has been much, much better. I got home and I got to thinking, what has been different since December, when I first noticed the cough now and then? Since I have had him 2 1/2 yrs and hes never had a prob..then it came to me, we got our Umbrella cockatoo in December... I ran it by the vet and she thought he very well could be allergic to the feather dander..I have 4 other birds but they are small cockatiels and keets' Maybe Angel just has alot of feather dander, bc he is so big. I have an air filter going, and bought some stuff at the petstore so the birds skin/feathers stay moist, and wont get dry as fast, thus to reduce dander.Does anyone else think this could be it? Does anyones cat have asthma? She said every few months he may need a cortizone injection, or there is predizone. But then again, there has been very high pollen here in Fla this time of year.. She said with this injection, it will last over a month, to call her back if he has symptoms again. Do they grow out of this, like kids can?? I just wanted to see what everyone knows about this. Thx guys

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 07:35 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

I belong to an all-birds forum www.toolady.com and I see alot over there pertaining to "Too dust" People having to give up their Toos because of allergies, housing other birds in different sections of the house becuse the dust bothers them, air fliters, dusting every day etc. etc. so it could very well be what Snuggles problem is.
It's not so must "dander" as it is "powder". Amazon parrots and Cockatoo's don't oil their feathers like other parrots, they have a powder that waterproofs etc. So there's no real way of eliminating it.

It'll be interesting to see some responses to your question of whether or not he'll outgrow his allergies, like human children do. You would think so, huh ?

Sharon
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Asthma is cats is not an uncommon thing, and the dust from the cockatoo could be making it worse. But you're also very right about the pollen in our town right now - I'm so tired of being stuffed up!!

Cockatoos do have a different kind of dust that they shed than do other birds. There is a beautiful 'too at the Bird Store I go to that is for sale, he's so funny and does all kinds of tricks, but his owner has developed an allergy to the dust and has to get rid of him.

You may have to resign yourself to injections for the kitty as long as you have the cockatoo - or if it gets worse there are medications that he can go on. I've never seen a cat outgrow asthma, if that's what it truly is, but if it is an allergic reaction maybe he will develop an immunity to it.

I've got all 4 of my birds in my bedroom right now because of all the painting - think that adds to my stopped up nose?? (Not counting the dog and cat I sleep with.)

Hope everything gets better. Have we seen a picture of this 'too in the Bird Section? I've been kind of out of it, we've lost seven days, so I'm not sure. I love those guys but am not sure I could handle the attention they require.

Good luck!

P.S.
TooLady.com is a great site and isn't just about cockatoos. Go check them out!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Hey guys
I know this post was a few months back... but Snugs has been starting to cough some again in the last month, not too bad, but Im going to call the vet on Monday and see what meds he needs...she said there is other medicine than the injection.. I think she said prednizone for him as well(my cat Smokie is on it for anit-inflmmatory) Im beginning to wonder if it is the bird??, b/c he did it once or twice when I went home (I go to my parents house 2 hrs away alot and the cats and dogs come with me) and I am wondering if its the air. Maybe pollen, or other air stuff?And the bird contributing?We have a filter under Angels cage right now thats helping get some of the dander, etc. and we are checking into Hepa filters. Critter...do u go to the Bird Store in downtown (off the E/W expressway)?? If so,thats where I got Angel!!!!! That store is the best! Do u guys have hepa filters, we've heard alot of good info on them, but I don't know anyone that owns one. Any members out there whose cats have asthma?? I hate to hear it when my vet says "Ive never seen anything like this..or 1 cat /dog a year...or only your animals, Jackie" **sigh** Thanx guys

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've have heard of asthma in cats, but thankfully haven't had one of my babies have it. So sorry, can't be much help here.

I've also heard some really good feedback on the hepa filter air purifiers. My allergy doctor has a bunch of brochures in his office for these kinds of filters, so I'm assuming the medical profession thinks it helps.

Good luck with your medical info search. Chin rubz for Snuggles from me.

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Princess in Waiting

I know that hepa filters are great but that they can be $$$$$$$.

Jackie, I go to the Bird Store (or Bird Shop, can't ever remember which) in Longwood and it's great. Vernon is the owner and he's a really intelligent guy - my vet clinic sent me there - and is really good at suggesting different toys for the different size birds, etc. He's on Hwy 427 - right down from where I get the dogs groomed! We'll have to go bird toy looking one day! (Can't afford to buy more than one or two at a time!) He also does the nails and wings on my guys.

Since it seems to happen more when the dogs & cats visit the birds, that does sound suspicious. We've talked about that dander on your big white buddy - I know of humans who have had to get rid of them because of their dander. Maybe if you could get your Mom to spray all the birds right before you come over if would help control the dander and give the cat some relief? I just hate to see an animal put on pred long term (person too, for that matter!)

Call your vet on Tuesday - he'll be closed tomorrow!! I noticed a growth in Wallis's ear this weekend and of course it is at a time when I can't take her in! It doesn't seem too bad - but any kind of problem with your baby is bad!

Good luck - let me know what happens.

CRITTERCALL

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks Pigsterz..I'll give Snugs a chin rub for ya
Critter..ohh that is another bird store, the one you go to sounds cool! We will have yet another birdie store to check out for fun toys and stuff! I actually saw some Hepa Filters at Sams, wanted to research them first... there was 3 in a set..1 large for a bigger room, one medium, one small. All for about $170 or so? I don't know how expensive they are supossed to be, Im sure it's good quality, right? lol.
Ooopppps... I made a mix-up in my story it sounds, lol. All the animals are here at my house, since he started doing it when I got Angel, I assumed it was the dander.. but I meant when I travel with the cats and dogs down south to see my mom (Angel stays here) Snuggles coughed once or twice while there and actually in the car on the way home (when he was away from Ang) so I was thinking maybe it wasn't "ALL" the feather dander necesarilly, maybe some pollen or dust in the air as well...hmmm..Or some lingering effects of feather dander? lol, ok im confusing myself...
Yes, I meant Tues. call the vet! he he. I don't know exactly what the injection was they gave him, but I know they only like to give those AS nescesary b/c over time some studies showed it could have affects on some cats kidneys in certain cases I *think* she said.( I can look through"my animals records" yes, I have a file drawer for them and see what it was called) Again,->I *think* the other drug was prednizone she was talking about, giving by mouth... I don't know for how long, etc. I know I hate having to give him medicine.. I don't want to have to.. I hope if we get these filters it will help alot. He isn't coughing bad, but I didn't like to hear that wheeze when he did..The last and only injection so far was when I wrote this post, so we have been good so far, he isn't coughing bad like he was. I'llkeep ya'll posted!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jackie- I have heard of cats having asthma (and allergies) too. I have a male orange tabby, Paulie Walnuts that came to us with an URI. He's a year old now and he still has occasional watery eyes, sneezing, mild gacking (how a cat cough sounds to me

With a Cockatoo there is only one way to cut down on the dust...
Daily Bathing!
I don't know if you bathe your 'too but when I had mine (a Citron) If I didn't shower her in the sink every day (or every other...whatever you find fits into your life and the time you have) and get her soaked - the dust was just overpowering! It covers everything... Even doing it twice a week really helps.
My son has asthma (since he was 18mos old) - and Daphne's dust made him feel *tight and wheezy*.

If your Cockatoo isn't used to being bathed - it's usually easy to get them to like it. It's actually one of the best things you can do for them too - It's hard to soak a Cockatoo because they are so waterproofed by that powder- but if you soak the bird daily, you will notice a big improvement in the amount of dust. It also encourages preening - and that keeps their feathers in tip-top shape.
Poor Snuggs... prednisone and cortisone (both corticosteroids) are used to control acute asthma in humans too.
Paulie seems less *snotty and sneezy* since I had to give Daphne up.

I hope Snuggles is OK... give him a Snuggle for me

And- I love the Too Lady!! too!!

[center]

[
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Princess in Waiting

Boy, we didn't know where we were or what we were saying last night did we?

I know that there are other (human) drugs that are given to cats for asthma. Ask about 'em!! Tell her because of the side effects you'd rather save the pred for a last ditch effort. The Pred merely disguises the symptoms and doesn't really get rid or anything. The injection was probably dexamethasone or some other form of injectible pred. Easier and quicker for the dr but not always iin the best interest of the cat.

Have you been to Big Chief's Bird House? It's pretty cool - but I'm not really sure about the care they take of their animas. I was there one day and an Amazon was playing around on the top of the other birds' cages. Next thing we knew he was missing part of a toe. I later saw that same bird for sale at a bird show, so it kind of tainted them in my mind!

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks D... I think it will be very helpful is Angel has a bath atleast every other day..We haven't lately b.c he seemed to dislike it sooo much, I think he was scared of it, when we misted him, or when we "set" him in the tub. But, Brad gave him a bath last night, while perching him on his finger, gently running the water on him and he loved it! And you are right, he looks so pretty now, too. We gave the cage a thorough cleaning last night(after I saw the Pam post,lol) and there was so much dust, u just don't realize it!! I got a new spray today too, called "Dander Down" the lady at the store said it was very good, do you think these work?
CC - Do you mean, Chief's Bird Cabin?(or is there another one called Big chiefs bird house?) There are quite a few bird stores here, we've found. If so, thats where we went today(1st time there) and they were SO much help! It is a great store. The toys, however were very pricey! I know they usually are but we could only afford one with all the other food,etc we were getting.
I think the shot they gave Snuggles was a cortizone shot, will keep ya'll updated!! Thanks again guys

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Princess in Waiting

I think it's Big Chief's I'm talking about. A neat store, clean, well kept, etc., but I'm not sure about the quality of their help. I "rescued" an amazon from having its toe bit off one day by another amazon or eclectus - don't remember which. But alll they did was put some "kwik stop" on him and put him out in the middle of the store on a play pen. I wasn't too happy with that but I didn't say anything.

Let's get together some day - when I turn back into a human!

CRITTERCALL

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Wow it IS the same store... I would've never known? It's clean and well kept they seemed to be taking really good care of the birds..I guess sometimes you never know Their baby birds were so cute. Their prices were kind of steep, I think. Or I got my Angel for a great price. This store had an umbrella for $1100-1200. I got Angel for $800. How long ago were u there, just out of curiousity?? Man, I would've had to bite my toungue too, they just put him back on the play pen? Poor baby!!
Haven't called the vet yet about Snuggles, b/c he's only coughed once since the weekend, he seems better this week. We thoroughly cleaned all the birds cages and gave Angel a good bath. Deja and I were talkng in the "pellets?" post about this stuff called dander down for birds. Brad sprayed it on Angel the other day, he's liking to be sprayed more now.:bfly: Hope it cuts down the dander!! We are gonna check out those Hepa filters as well.

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Princess in Waiting

I know that there is a spray you can use on 'toos to cut down on the dander, but I don't have a cockatoo spreading anymore dust than I already have around here!!

Vernon's prices usually seem a bit better than that. He had a full grown 'too (don't remember which kind!) who was just a hoot - play with everybody, spread his wings like an eagle - did all kinds of tricks. He was being sold with cage, toys, everything for $1100 because the owner couldn't live with the dander.

I think I'm getting better (hope so, anyway). Maybe we can get together one day and do bird stores and lunches!

CRITTERCALL

Tags
baby birds, vet clinic