Kitty diarrhea - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Kitty diarrhea

Does anyone know of any at home treatments for diarrhea? My gray kitten (STILL no name, lol) has it pretty bad. I looked around online and there were lists of stuff that might occur with diarrhea that would indicate a bigger problem, but she has none of that. No blood, bloating, tenderness, weakness, loss of appetite, just really runny poo. I found one site that suggested mashed potatoes and/or yogurt, so I gave them some mashed potatoes (no milk) with a little bit of wet kitten food mixed in (they wouldn't eat it plain) and already there is a little difference, it's not so runny that it gets on her feet (THAT was fun ). I'm going to pick up some plain yogurt and benebac tonight. Anything else? Should I stop giving them wet cat food? I've been weaning them off of it slowly, they get a little in the morning and a little at night, but they're eating dry food enough that I could stop the canned if that would help. The other kitten is pooping just fine btw. Remember back when I was so worried that they were never going to poop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Princess in Waiting

Be careful what you wish for, huh, Becki?

I personally would take them off the wet food. The dry food is better for their teeth, etc. One of those things I was taught - always keep kittens and cats on dry food.

Have you tried a bit of Pepto-Bismol? Yes, he'll look funny with a pink mouth, but it will work!

Have you had him checked for parasites? (You may have told about this before and my memory is going fast.) That could be the cause of the diarrhea.

Good luck - and I'm glad you aren't having to wash little kitty feet all the time now!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Critter! I haven't had them checked yet, I'm hoping to take care of it by myself if at all possible. I am keeping a close eye for visible worms and any other symptoms though. I'm going to see what I can do for a couple of days before we make a trip to the vet (unless anything gets worse of course).

The only reason they're on wet food at all was because I couldn't get them to go from formula to dry., so we went formula, wet, then dry (still finishing that last step). I'm more of a dry food pet owner myself.

Thanks for the suggestions, we've only had one non liquid poo since the potatoes, hopefully that will keep getting better! I am keeping my fingers crossed for an easy (on the kittens AND me) fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:31 PM

Have you changed the food recently? Sometimes a change in food brand or even flavor can upset thier stomach.

Anyway, basic thing with loose stool situations is to with hold food for 24 hours, then start back with something bland like chicken and rice...or you can get prescription foods like Hills i/d. Once the stool gets better go back to normal feeding. But if it doesnt get better, go to the vet...something else is going on besides an upset stomach.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My vet always suggests boiled hamburger and rice.

It sounds like she is getting better, so you must be doing something right! I hope she is pooping normal soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 10:25 PM

Ok now we will pray for 'normal' poo.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Miss New Booty

Everyone gave great advice! I hope she feels better soon! I would say definatley keep an eye for worms. Kittens are more prone to them, from their mama. My Smokie who we adopted at 8 wks (even had a dewormer from the adoption place) still had worms like 4 days after we brought him home. But if you are checking, you would probably see them, so keep lookin'. I have heard of boiled chicken and rice for the kitties, like Angel said. I read to give the cats Kaopectate, I gave it to Smokie, talk about hard giving a cat medicine he doesn't want! That may be an idea, if the Pepto Bismol didn't work (if you tried that?)
I hope she is feeling better soon!!!! Sounds like the potatoes are working!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:24 AM

My cat would always get diahrea if she ate Whiskers, any other cat food and she was ok except for Whiskers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 10:32 AM

Is she doing any better Becki?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Yep, they're formed, still a little soft but almost normal Thanks for asking!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 02:01 PM

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Princess in Waiting

What? No pictures??? (Just kidding!)

Remember, you cannot always see intestinal parasites. Some have to be found by looking at the stool sample with a microscope and looking for the eggs. Not trying to treat you like a dumb bunny, just wanna make sure we take good care of this baby!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
cat food, dry food, kitten food, pet owner, wet cat food, wet food